Instrumental tuition charges

breeksy

I am in two minds about this. Here are my opinions for what they are worth:

For the cuts

* A fiddle teacher and a piano teacher have both told me that they are FOR the cuts. They believe by charging for lessons this will create enforced dedication. Too many children take up lessons and, seemingly, dont put the effort in and/ or give up after a few weeks.

* I believe that if you are to offer such lessons you must either allow all to take up an instrument of their choice, which doesn't happen. Children are selected by the teachers as there is not enough time in the day to accommodate all pupils.

* Shetland has the best music provision (in the school day) than any other council in Scotland as it is, so why should additional subsidy be used to pay for additional tuition?

* Why should I pay for some kid to learn to play the violin/ piano/ whatever?

* Means other services/ facilities are not cut or charges increased.

Against the cuts

* By charging you would create elitism in schools, where those who can afford it get what they want.

* What happens to talented kids who can't afford to play?

* I believe that if schools are to charge for instrumental lessons, it would be just as well cut it from schools completely.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a parent of 'musical children' who have received both free and paid tuition over the years I would just like to offer my support to the 'keep it free' campaign.

Unfortunately I fear that the alternative route the sic could go down would be to delete some tutor posts. Surely in that case it would be better to pay a little than have no tuition at all. The £4 or £5 per lesson would still be highly subsidised. If you are going private the fee would be much greater.

There is no doubt that the SIC has to make budget cuts and whichever group is targeted will look upon it as unfair.

Well what was the point of the music venue all that waste of money and for what

Somewhere supposedly to tell the world about Shetland Music and now so few who can afford to pay for it. Maybe it is hoe the council is going to pay for the up-keep of the silly venue. Well if this councillors is any good at anything :?: Its big ideas and then shooting themselves in the foot

^^

I suppose the Clickimin Centre is the sporting equivalent of music's Mareel.

Shetland's sporting success has certainly improved dramatically since building the sports centres and that's without free professional coaching supplied by SIC.

Many P.E. teachers and sporty minded parents coach these kids for free.

Why can't music do the same ?

* Shetland has the best music provision (in the school day) than any other council in Scotland as it is, so why should additional subsidy be used to pay for additional tuition?

My daughter has been at her current school for nearly 3years, they've had 1 permanent class music teacher during that time, but that teacher only managed a couple of terms, so back to subs. She has only had 3 instrumental teachers, which is apparently quite a good going.

She says that she'd also like to point out she's had 4 head teachers during this time. 3 just in this last academic year.

A group of young musicians have started the "Keep Instrumental Tuition Free in Shetland" campaign in opposition to the charges

Facebook group - www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=307887327899

Online petition - http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/34188.html

Downloadable petition form - http://www.mediafire.com/?zmlgmnmnzqi

There is no doubt that the SIC has to make budget cuts and whichever group is targeted will look upon it as unfair.

That is exactly the point I have been trying to make. The same old 'value to the community' versus cost argument crops up whenever any cuts are proposed.

I'm in no position to doubt that free individual music tuition has had a positive impact on music development in Shetland over the years, but the council can't continue to keep ignoring the cost of providing things just because of the (actual or perceived) cultural, economic or social benefits they may bring. Folk moan about the SIC being unable to tighten up on spending on one hand but appear to be unwilling to accept changes that will achieve that on another. It happens every time.

^^ If there was a little more evidence of frugality and value for money within the machine as to how it goes about providing services, folk might just be able to find it within themselves to be more understanding when it comes to service reductions and/or upfront charges.

The "Rolls Royce" option or bust attitude needs to be the first casualty. Grandiose is fine when you have money to burn, but when you're having to count your pennies, basic, functional and durable surely must be the only choice.

There is a few problems with free music tuition in Shetland at the moment which may be improved if parents have to pay.

My daughter was keen on learning the fiddle and we bought her one for her eighth birthday. We were under the impression that she could start lessons in P4 but the headteacher told us that the music instructor could only take 3 pupils and the class was full. So she had to wait a year. We knew that their was one child who was taking up a space who was not musically inclined and did not practise from one week to the other but was there because it was free.

Because of time restraints on the music instructor my daughter now gets 5 minutes fiddle tuition each week and that is no exageration. My nephew who is at Aith gets 30 minutes with his tutor.

I am so glad that charges are now being brought in and that the SIC do not back peddle on this one because if it goes ahead I as a parent can now ask for equality of service for my child. Parents hopefully will only put forward their children if they are talented and they will also encourage them to practise since they are now paying for lessons.

We may get fewer children coming through the system but we will hopefully have more dedicated and talented ones at the end of it.

At risk of being shot down in flames.. I personally don't see any issue with tuition fees being introduced.

As others have tried to state but seem to be getting ignored for what I can only guess are those in favour cant think of a valid reason against their points.

Why should musicians get free tuition when those wanting say extra tuition in a sport don't?

If they were extortionate I would understand but £3.60 a week is not very much for someone who is dedicated to what they love. If someone truely cant afford that and is truely dedicated then I would of thought the council would ( like everything else ) have some grant system in place.

Why do people think this will kill music in Shetland?

When In my opinion it could do the complete opposite, as those who really want to do something will find a way of doing it and it will quite possibly stop valuable music lesson being wasted by those who are not fully committed.

We cant live on forever expecting everything for free, Shetland has been spoilt for years and sadly a lot of people seem to of lost a grasp of reality regarding these sort of issues

Edit: Maybe we should all get all get free fuel for our cars and then people would be able to afford tuition fees?

If they were extortionate I would understand but £3.60 a week is not very much for someone who is dedicated to what they love. If someone truely cant afford that and is truely dedicated then I would of thought the council would ( like everything else ) have some grant system in place.

Helen Budge said on Radio Shetland that bairns on free school meals or clothing grants would be able to get free tuition