Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

NorthLink the good points....

1. Ferries are modern, clean, (no diesel smell!)

2. Ferries run on time (mostly)

3. Food is reasonable (although not as good as when they first started)

4. Toilets are clean and smell ok

5. Draught lager ok (but why Carlsberg?)

NorthLink bad points.......

1. Short forecastle on ships encourages slamming, shuddering

2. Ships are uneconomical, (they eat fuel at an alarming rate)

3. A la carte lounge (criminal waste of space)

4. Stupid 6am annoucement (we know by now when we get to Lerwick)

5. Executive cabins (were not in the city of London chaps!)

• 3 weeks later...

Surely though if we had something like that at 60p per mile, with it being 216 miles from Aberdeen that would be a cost of £129.60 plus the £5 initial charge plus any costs for additional adults and cabins etc. This is only based on travelling one-way. Ok it would work out cheaper in "High" season but surely it would make it more expensive for "Low" and "Mid" season? Or am I missing the point???

Surely though if we had something like that at 60p per mile, with it being 216 miles from Aberdeen that would be a cost of £129.60 plus the £5 initial charge plus any costs for additional adults and cabins etc. This is only based on travelling one-way. Ok it would work out cheaper in "High" season but surely it would make it more expensive for "Low" and "Mid" season? Or am I missing the point???

No you have hit the point on the bullseye, fares that work out cheaper on a shorter crossing may well work out dearer here on the same scale. Western Isles crossings were far from cheap before this scheme. Just because they are getting a discount now does not ensure that the same rules would create a discount here.

/edit unless of course you want to berth in Scrabster. :wink:

Surely though if we had something like that at 60p per mile, with it being 216 miles from Aberdeen that would be a cost of £129.60 plus the £5 initial charge plus any costs for additional adults and cabins etc.

I med it £130 wan wey wi RET, assumin Aiberdeen remains da port o choice.

Personally I tink Rosyth wid be mair sensible - haes a proper harbour fur wan thing. Relax on boat, or drive aa day wey doon da A90?

OR Tavish could install a Tram fae Leith ta Lerwick. ?? ??

fur Loardsake stop craimin. You'll gie yoursell sore trots.

Innse Catt - Pictish neem fur da place. Islands of the Catts?

or relatit ta Gaelic cathadh 'spindrift' - 'Spindrift lslands' ?

Cattland - Germanic version o sam plece.

Hjaltland - misspellin o Cattland bi hairy-ersed illiterate proto-norskis

Èœetland - misspellin o Hjaltland/Cattland bi sem-sober proto-scots

Zetland - misinterpretation o letter yogh Ȝ bi high-minded but incompetent mapmakker

Shetland - angliscisation o misinterpretation o misspellin o etc etc

Whit I want t' ken is whar de cam up wi di 60p/mile figure fae? It seems an aful lot considerin most cars il du 30-60 mpg dis days. At £5.50/gallon dats 18.3p/mile fir a 30mpg car!

Mmm. fair (or fare) point. 18p a mile wid only be da petrol price fur a car though, no da total mileage cost. 40p a mile is a mair usual wark mileage rate fur a car - dunna keen whit wey dey didna use dat. Presume dey didna joost mak da rate up randomly. Der a balance ta be struck atween reducin fares, an total cost in subsidy.

Der mebbe anticipatin petrol will geeng up (highly laekly) owre da time an save pittin da rate up owre da time oda pilot?

Lerweek-Aiberdeen 217 miles

£6 + 40p a mile = £93 - comparable ta da Northlink car fare

More Dialect!

Rates fur da pilot seems ta a been set bi Halcrow consultants, wha will evaluate da study.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2008/02/26133752

"The 60p per mile rate suggested by the consultants is broadly comparable with the cost of running an average family car as identified by both the AA and RAC. Consultants also considered long-standing HMRC rates."

http://www.halcrow.com/html/our_regions/europe/uk.htm

"The 60p per mile rate suggested by the consultants is broadly comparable with the cost of running an average family car...

That is just plain wrong! There is no way it costs 60p/mile to run a family car. As I said before, 18.3p/mile petrol (assuming 30mpg), £300 insurance@avg 10,000 miles/year = £0.03/mile, £150 year road tax@avg 10,000 miles/year, £150 year for annual service. Add it all up and you still get less than 20p a mile.

I reckon they've looked at the real cost, crapped themselves 'cos it'll cost them millions and then plucked a figure out of the air that gives a reduction for their marginal seat in the Western Isles, but won't add up over the longer routes where they haven't got a chance politically anyway.

And to think I voted for these clowns... :evil: :roll: