peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Here's a point about them being unfit for purpose the carrying capacity is way above the number of beds so even without the single occupancy of a four berth cabin, just where are all the folk that have had to sleep in the bar or any clear space supposed to shower. At least P&O provided showers on every level for the poor buggers without a cabin.

The same P&O that laughed at the bid put together by Northlink, telling them the boats were no use for the harbour in Aberdeen and that the route could not be operated reliably in the winter with boats of that design.

Of course a company that had never operated an open sea crossing knew better :roll:

I completely agree, bring back P&O I say!

I have no experience of P&O, but the heat of the boats excepted I have to say that the staff on board the Northlink boats have always been courteous and helpful, the catering has always been really good, with the exception of a bowl of porage once, which was like tepid wallpaper paste. The web function never works for me, despite confirming my username and password EVERY time with the office staff, who I have to admit are excellent.

It's still 12 hours of my life wasted though and I don't take a car so it is just too expensive going anything other than slum class so I prefer to fly and go less often.

P & O was unhelpful in every way , staff was not friendly and they did nothing to help you unless it was for there gain . I have to support northlink they are quality staff

Are you referring to the land-based staff or the staff onboard the vessel? As far as I am aware a lot of the staff onboard the Northlink boats transferred from P&O. Unless they have been given a sharp kick up the backside or perhaps have better working conditions I wouldn't have thought they would be any different to the staff you had before.

....several times with cargo and livestock transport a lady called jean called me and was very helpfull and always did her best to sort out what i was needing shipped. i have found they are so easy to deal with its a breath of fresh air . where as p & o it was just a nitemare trying to do buisness with them .

Bear in mind that, for a while at least, possibly even still is, that much if not all livestock shipments were not handled by Northlink staff other than at sea. Booking, on quay handling etc was all sub contracted to someone else. Particulary in the case of dedicated stock boats, Northlink's sole role was to charter the vessel, and bill the stock consignors, beyond that their own staff had nothing to do with it.

Guest Anonymous

Some people here are still missing the obvious, yet massive point.

Northlink are limited in their service by the fear of complaints from the public who are likely to sue them if the fall over during a rough crossing.

Others have said that the P&O boats were better,,, Gonads,, they were not. The P&O boats were unstable, badly staffed, badly managed, etc.. Yes the same staff transferred to Northlink, but they were obviously told to "shape up, or ship out" because the change in attitude towards customers was amazing.

Northlink brought in boats which suit the crossing, with the possible exception of cabin space. Boats which in my opinion are ideal for the route, which handle well in reasonable sea conditions, or at least conditions well in excess of those which can be tolerated by pussies who complain on Shetlink.

Maybe boats the size of the Norona are the answer. Real ocean going vessels. But, how many times did that, Shetland subsidised, scrap heap, have to bypass Lerwick because of weather?

Now, just to prove that I'm not being negative for the sake of negativity,,,

Think it's time to go shag a few sheep...... Ahhhh Pleaure!!!! With no complaints. :twisted:

:lol: I may be the odd one out here but I have only met with courtesy and helpfulness on the Northlink

I am apartially disabled senior citizen on limited income but if I do travel south to my family it is worth the sacrifice to get exclusive use of a cabin as the only time I share is with my husband. And yes I have selpt on the reliners to the sound of singing, snoring and other wonderous noises and yes it's a pain to try and freshen up in a confined space but it is still a cheaper option than the rip off on the planes

Some people here are still missing the obvious, yet massive point.

Northlink are limited in their service by the fear of complaints from the public who are likely to sue them if the fall over during a rough crossing.

Others have said that the P&O boats were better,,, Gonads,, they were not. The P&O boats were unstable, badly staffed, badly managed, etc.. Yes the same staff transferred to Northlink, but they were obviously told to "shape up, or ship out" because the change in attitude towards customers was amazing.

Northlink brought in boats which suit the crossing, with the possible exception of cabin space. Boats which in my opinion are ideal for the route, which handle well in reasonable sea conditions, or at least conditions well in excess of those which can be tolerated by pussies who complain on Shetlink.

Maybe boats the size of the Norona are the answer. Real ocean going vessels. But, how many times did that, Shetland subsidised, scrap heap, have to bypass Lerwick because of weather?

Now, just to prove that I'm not being negative for the sake of negativity,,,

Think it's time to go shag a few sheep...... Ahhhh Pleaure!!!! With no complaints. :twisted:

^ No point preaching to a preacher :lol:

The above 3 Quotes sums this subject up in a nut shell, the people who say that they should sail, despite the weather. are the same people. Who would say they should not have sailed when one of the boats should happen to sink. when they sail on a bad night. Northlink can’t win, there dammed if they do sail and dammed if they don’t. But if there was to be loss of life, somebody would have to live with the results of that decision. for the rest of there lives. Just ask any of the car drivers who have had a friend die in a car crash that they were responsible for, they will tell you that even one life, lost is bad never mind a boat full of lives. I would hate to be responsible for the loss of any life

Our boat got cancelled and I'm glad it did. We got a 'phone call in the morning and rebooked which was good. My Mam who used to work on the North boats in the '60's said that the boat shouldn't have sailed in those conditions.

I think lives must be taken into consideration also I agree with the folk that have said about the compensation culture is very true. There are far too many people that would jump at the chance to get money if something bad happened.

cancellations and bad journeys are just risks you have to accept when travelling to and from shetland or orkney. Even the planes get delayed and cancelled due to weather etc. People just have to get on with it and accept that the companies make cancellations for the good of the passengers and the crews and who can blame them? (am sure some of you do) Nobody can control the weather and if your journeys are interupted then its bad luck and a nightmare but its for your own good.

If the problems were because the boats kept breaking down etc then we can and most probably will blame northlink.

Guest posiedon
Baxter

Even the planes get delayed and cancelled due to weather etc. People just have to get on with it

I took my 80 year old mother to Sumburgh at 12.00 noon on Saturday for the 13.00 flight to Glasgow, she eventually got away at 15.50, nearly 4 hours spent sitting around the airport and no explanation offered, I checked Glasgow airport on the net and everything there was getting away more or less on time, so there wasn't a problem at that end, there wasn't a problem at Sumburgh either (that I could see) you'd think they could at least tell folks why they're being delayed. :?

I happened to be at the airport on Saturday and did notice that there seemed to be a lack of announcements regarding the delayed flights.

From what I hear there was difficulties between aircraft with 'technical problems' and Kirkwall being snow closed several times during the day.