447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

^^

Sheep Shagger

So in your opinion there is a boat built nowadays that withstands hurricane force winds ? maybe there is ... but accidents happen, just switch on your telly this morning and passengers and crew have had to be rescued by helicopter!

In my opinion, for what it's worth, if it's too dangerous for the rescue services .. ie helicopter and lifeboat .. it's too rough to put to sea in the first place ...

I mind crossin Bloomil soond in a fowerereen loks a times in a force 12 Norderly, walking 18 miles tae Ulsta dan sweeming across Yell soond - dan a days we tought nothin o hit, nae greeting or pleepsin aboot a peerie scaar o wind an 30 ft waves

Luxury. When I were a lad we had to walk 50 miles uphill wearing clogs, then swim round Cape Horn to get to t'mill. We got paid tuppence per fortnight, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us and dance on our graves.

And when you tell that to kids these days, they don't believe you.

Completely unrelated to the complaints about complaining passengers but still related to the thread I have a question.

If the boat can sail from Aberdeen to Lerwick far quicker why do they insist on making the boat sail at night and not through the day when generally speaking it would be safer, labour costs are lower and the need for sleeping isn't there.

Sensible answers please :lol:

Of course there are boats that are built to cope with rough weather tlady, and maybe even some folk.

we live in Shetland for crying out loud this is what the weather is like in the winter.

Either the boats are fit for purpose or they are not.

The purpose that they should be fit for according to the terms of the contract is providing a lifeline service 12 months of the year.

You as an individual have a duty to decide for yourself if you wish to travel on a particular sailing or not, for myself I would not set foot on those boats with any chance of bad weather, when it was P&O if it was a bad forecast I would get as many of McEwans patented travel pills down me before setting foot on board and hope my stagger was in sync with the boats roll. But I never worried about if the boat would make it or not.

The Clare was fit for purpose, the current vessels are fit for sausage all but a calm water tourist run pretty much all that calmac/northlink are fit for.

My point is the Titanic was also supposedly "fit for purpose"

Yes indeed, the Titanic was not only "fit for purpose" but "unsinkable". Maybe what is needed is a debate well in advance of the next tender being due. A debate into all aspects of the service.

As someone who would consider taking sea sick pills for a voyage to Whalsay I want to see the shortest and most sheltered crossing possible which means looking at the idea for a linkspan in Inverness, I want to see affordable single cabins so I can throw up in private and I would like to know if there has ever been any research into ways to smooth out the ride for passenger cabins within a ship that is moving in a lively sea.

That said I am 100% in support of a ship's Master who decides it is not safe to sail as long as that decision is not influenced either way by commercial considerations.

:lol: I may be the odd one out here but I have only met with courtesy and helpfulness on the Northlink

I am apartially disabled senior citizen on limited income but if I do travel south to my family it is worth the sacrifice to get exclusive use of a cabin as the only time I share is with my husband. And yes I have selpt on the reliners to the sound of singing, snoring and other wonderous noises and yes it's a pain to try and freshen up in a confined space but it is still a cheaper option than the rip off on the planes

yis yis boy - I see dat da cooncil ferries ir aa stopped running da day an hits only force 9 eenoo- whit is da world comin tae I ax.

I mind crossin Bloomil soond in a fowerereen loks a times in a force 12 Norderly, walking 18 miles tae Ulsta dan sweeming across Yell soond - dan a days we tought nothin o hit, nae greeting or pleepsin aboot a peerie scaar o wind an 30 ft waves

Before or after you ate your spinach?? :D :D

Guest Anonymous

Here's a point about them being unfit for purpose the carrying capacity is way above the number of beds so even without the single occupancy of a four berth cabin, just where are all the folk that have had to sleep in the bar or any clear space supposed to shower. At least P&O provided showers on every level for the poor buggers without a cabin.

The same P&O that laughed at the bid put together by Northlink, telling them the boats were no use for the harbour in Aberdeen and that the route could not be operated reliably in the winter with boats of that design.

Of course a company that had never operated an open sea crossing knew better :roll:

the £22 one way has only just come in, and fine if your destination is Aberdeen try getting to Manchester at a reasonable cost either by plane or train!!

Yes I know, having been looking at trying to get to Manchester or Leeds recently. In the end I decided that it is much cheaper to go to Dublin.