447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

Guest willz320

http://www.orkneytoday.co.uk/news_item.asp?newsItem=4916

NORTHLINK have had their sailings disrupted after the ferry Hjaltland was damaged in heavy seas last night.

Tonights Aberdeen - Lerwick sailing has been cancelled as the ferry is currently berthed in Aberdeen undergoing repairs to the damage caused while on passage from Lerwick.

About 40 minutes into the southbound trip, and while still off the east coast of Shetland, the vessel was struck by an abnormally large wave which caused some damage to the foc'sle and bridge window wipers.

NorthLink is in the process of contacting the 67 passengers who were scheduled to sail on tonight's service out of Aberdeen to Lerwick.

Additionally, and as a result of tonight's cancellation - with vessels out of position - Wednesday night's Lerwick-Kirkwall-Aberdeen has also been cancelled. Some eight passengers due to embark from Lerwick and 69 joining at Kirkwall are in the process of being informed.

The repairs, which are being carried out now in Aberdeen are expected to be completed at some point tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

NorthLink chief executive Bill Davidson said: "The incident occurred at about 19.40. Hjaltland was sailing easily at 13 knots in a 5-6 metre swell with the wind blowing 55 knots out of the SW when the watchkeeper describes the ship being hit by a single very large wave. The vessel continued at reduced speed until clear of bad weather and arrived in Aberdeen some two and a half hours late. No-one was injured as a result of the incident. Indeed, most passengers were unaware that anything untoward had happened.

"The cancellations are due to the necessity to carry out repairs but we are able to offer passengers on board accommodation in Aberdeen tonight. Nevertheless, I would take this opportunity to say that we do regret the inconvenience caused. Passengers affected are being contacted by our staff now."

^^ What I said a month ago.

....IMHO the bridge is far too far for'ard and at a bad angle, if any of them ships a muckle sea over the bow it has very little to do but stove in the bridge windows....

Maybe only big enough to crack off wipers this time, but what next time, it wouldn't take much more to get the glass. Maybe after a few hits they'll finally have to admit that while their for'ard overhanging bridge is maybe brilliant for visibility etc, it is a SOAB for catching and trapping rogue seas.

Guest willz320

Excellent point.

Because of the dominance of the position of bridge in most modern ships, shipbuilders must think this is a risk they are willing to take.

So what are the benefits of having a bridge this far for'ard? Just visibility?

the clair before last must have had a similar problem with the bridge. I have fond childhood memories of hanging round aberdeen after the windows on the bridge smashed after a freak wave.

What with the snow and the dock strike it was a very memorable journey.

Guest willz320
Or is it the simple fact that they shouldn't have sailed???

It was a night of complete distress!! the southbound boat should have stayed put!!

Im sure a lot more folk would have had more to say if the ship hadnt sailed.. being a lifeline service and all.

Damned if you do...and you know the rest.

the clair before last must have had a similar problem with the bridge. I have fond childhood memories of hanging round aberdeen after the windows on the bridge smashed after a freak wave.

What with the snow and the dock strike it was a very memorable journey.

This happened to both the Clair and the Sunniva (or was it the last two Clairs?) - I seem to remember it was on both their maiden voyages as well. Completely different designs to the new boats so the circumstances must have been different. Just goes to show the sheer energy behind freak waves.

There was an interesting documentary a few years ago on freak waves - a number of ships have been lost or badly damaged by these waves. Given the route and time spent on passages, it must be statistically possible that the boats will encounter these conditions at some point.

^^ What I said a month ago.
....IMHO the bridge is far too far for'ard and at a bad angle, if any of them ships a muckle sea over the bow it has very little to do but stove in the bridge windows....

I've nothing to add to that. I just think it worth emphasising that when GR predicts, it is usually well worth listening.

Just goes to show the sheer energy behind freak waves. ...There was an interesting documentary a few years ago on freak waves

I think that the main thing to understand about "freak" waves is that what tend to be so-termed are in fact very far from being freak. They are much more common than recently believed.

One thing to remeber regarding bridge windows the force of water that stricks the bow is huge compared to what strikes the windows as the shape of the hull is desiged to dissapate this force.

also the glass is not regular glass either. you need too worry more about things further down esp on the fore deck where mooring winchs are secured the force of sea there can be massive!

you cannot build a ship to withstand freak waves that really we no very little about (yes they are more common than ppl think) but they also dont behave normally you can have a northely wind with 6m waves but you swell could be from a diff direction and the freak wave could come from another direction not nessarly head on.

Anyone watch deadliest catch? classic example there on one of the crab boats.

Guest willz320
Love watching the Deadliest Catch!!

Handy seeing as they were out of schedule from the weather last weekend.

Hardly worthwhile swapping them back, im sure nature will take its course again!!