No doubt. But what is the policy benefit of welcoming the dragging, as Ghostwriter recommends?

I'd say the stance would indicate that although the 'Law' may have the might on it's side, Mr Calamity would physically do everything possible to fight the Courts. A symbolic defiance, if you will.

Or simply call it nailing your colours to the mast and going down fighting.

An attitude and course of action I can grudgingly respect, even though I think the guy is nothing more than an attention seeker shaking his fist at the perceived 'Them'.

^^ One of Hill's main arguments is that both the Scottish Court service and Police have no mandate and legitimacy in Shetland, and as such, he, as a Shetland resident, does not recognise their authority over him.

As it is he has this far obeyed all the orders they have issued to him, and willingly attended all appointments they have set at times and place of their choosing involving him. Surely if he views the Scottish Police and Court as having no mandate to operate in Shetland, and have no authority over Shetlanders, the only way to maintain credibility on that stance is to treat them like they simply don't exist.

By acknowledging the Court correspondence sent to him, and responding as instructed to the orders contained therein, he is by default demonstrating the Court most certainly does have some authority over him, thus defeating his own argument. If he'd refused to accept any mail sent to him by the Court, and ended up having his summons nailed to his door by a Sheriff Officer. Then simply torn it down and stuffed it in the face of the Rayburn unread, and waited for the Court to issue an arrest warrant, resulting in him being cuffed and at the very least frog marched in to court between to coppers digging his heels in all the way, he would have been practicing what he preaches, that indeed as far as he is concerned the Scottish Court is a non-entity in Shetland.

No doubt. But what is the policy benefit of welcoming the dragging, as Ghostwriter recommends?

I'm sure Ghostwriter will be amused at the thought that he's now recommending legal advice to Calamity :lol:

Just a bit. :lol:

I'll bill him for any of my advice he takes though. I could be happy with £50/hour. :wink:

I've been reading about how the Faeroe Islands got autonomy, and there is nothing there about being carried into court. I fear that you Shetlanders are bone idle when it comes to political action to get anywhere. You prefer to lie at home gobbing about it rather than organising. Happy new year!

power to the people!

just not sure which, where,when.

seriously could Shetland manage as an independant entity?

Who knows, had Calamity sat down and collated all the relevant data to "prove" we would be better off, or at least equally as well off economically and financially going alone as we are now, he might have been taken slightly more seriously. Its all very well harping on about the "wrongs" in how we got where we are, but without hard provable numbers its hardly surprising folk are reluctant to step out of the frying pan in to a blind void.

Righting any preceived wrongs from history may well be a helpful motivation for change, with some at least, but as a sole reason to change, it can hardly be justified on logical or rational grounds.

Similar sized territories survive and thrive elsewhere in the world on various verions of autonomy and "independence", most without the oil and fish resources we possess within 200 miles/median of our shores, so on the face of it we should too, but folk are only going to start believing we can when they've scrutinised the numbers themselves to prove it.

Of course, any entity needs an astute, forward thinking, decisive, strong leader, backed up by a like minded leadership to flourish....

^^ If you mean me, the answer is "absolutely bog all". As I don't believe given the level of identity and inclusiveness felt by an ever increasing proportion of (mainly younger??) Shetlanders for "Scottishness"/"Englishness", that an absolute majority in favour of any lessening of integration and links could be achieved. Without it, you'd have the all too common Shetland situation of a near 50/50 divide, with one camp working as hard to demolish what the other is building, as they are to achieve it, and the virtual stalemate that goes with it.