Stena Carron protest in Shetland - Greenpeace Esperanza

jetsam

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they forgot to pack their thermal longjohns before they climbed the anchor chain, so that they spend an extremely miserable night. :twisted:

Na, na, DROP the anchor with said tent attached..... :lol:

Around 4am, just as some of them have finally managed to nod off would be good. Let her down very, very, slowly until they're about 10 feet above the surface so they don't feel what's happening, then let 'er rip.

Damnit, I need to shutup, I'm enjoying this too much. :wink:

The problem with GreenPeace (as I see it) is that much like any other fundamentalist group, they talk a large amount of bull and tend to go down the do as we say not as we do route. Hence their use of another ship (burning fossil fuels) to protest drilling near Shetland. Unfortunately, like many activists the world over they are more interested in PR than actually helping to propose alternative, sustainable energy solutions and they're run by attention seeking muppets :rolleyes:

It's a shame really that they don't use their PR capabilities (and funding) to help support the scientists who are doing the real work of finding and testing sustainable alternatives to fossil fuels...

I expect that this is down to a general opinion that as the Braer spill was cleared up naturally so quickly, offshore oil spills are not a credible worry here. Consequently, I don't see the Greenpeace stunt finding much support in Shetland.

I don;t think its so much a case of "its not a worry" here, more that we are, and have been, constantly under the same threat since the 70's, so its more a case of "nothing new".

As far as Greenpeace are concerned, I would propose shetlands tendancy towards common sense combined with an undestanding of the very real risks they cause to all who have to deal with them has left them void of support round here since day one.

Quote from local spokeswoman Leila Deen

"The activists plan to be there as long as they can. It obviously depends on their supplies and on the weather. But they are very skilled.â€

How about a sweepstake, I'll give them 48 hours before a mix of hypothermia and the lack of ability to hold on any longer means they'll abandon after 'having made their point' :roll:

How about Greenpeace targetting what's happening in Nigeria if they want to get some real support - oh, that's right, it's dangerous in Nigeria and wouldn't get the same media attention.

If I was the Master of the Stena Carron, I would be very concerned about the safety of the Green Peace activists who have illegaly attached themselves to the anchor chain.

I would implement a safety watch on them and check on their condition every fifteen minutes or so by asking them how they are. It could be a bit noisy so I would recomend the use of a loudhailer to make sure that they can hear ok.

Perhaps every 5 or 10 minutes through the night.

How about a sweepstake, I'll give them 48 hours before a mix of hypothermia and the lack of ability to hold on any longer means they'll abandon after 'having made their point' :roll:

As some old Foula man said about the Oceanic when she was lying on da Shaalds, "I'll gie ir a fortnight".

In this case, I'll gie dem ee nicht.

If I was the Master of the Stena Carron, I would be very concerned about the safety of the Green Peace activists who have illegaly attached themselves to the anchor chain.

About an hour ago, a red vessel which I think is the safety boat was lying close to the SC's bow. Previously, it (if it is the same ship) was always some distance away.

Just pull the anchor up when they are ready to set sail, the mindless idiots will soon fall off :idea:

Na, na, DROP the anchor with said tent attached..... :lol:

Not sure about the tent, but male Greenpeace activists are believed to be good bait for Cod and Halibut, so this could start a new kind of local sport fishing. :lol:

The female activists are normally only useful as bait, when Greenpeace themselves are fishing for donations.

:wink: :lol:

(** mod edit - Mind the T&Cs – there’s a line between having a joke and advocating violence **)

Well, it's a cold and rough old night oot yondroo wi a strong SE wind and rain.

I'd guess the wind will be swaaping them about if they're hanging fae a chain.

The red vessel is the Esvagt Supporter and the Esperanza is now on scene according to the websites AIS Liverpool and Marine Traffic.

http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=ShetlandIsles

In all honesty I'll be very surprised if they're still there by morning and even if they manage 24 hrs the strong north winds and even colder temps forecast will soon sort it.

Oh how will I cope with the guilt of laying in my warm cosy bed tonight.... :lol: