Shetland Blues Festival

peeriebryan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I went to see the Hokum Hotshots at the Lounge this evening. The place was very noisy at about 9-00pm with people talking and shouting. When the duo started playing at 9-20pm, the assembled punters merely raised the level of the talking and shouting to such an extent that it was virtually impossible to hear the tunes being played let alone hear any of the lyrics being sung. Totally selfish to simply drown out the music. It was so bad that we gave up and left after about 20 minutes which was a shame as we were really looking forward to hearing the band.

I wouldn't think the band were too happy with the situation either.

I was at the Legion on Saturday night however I found the lighting extremely irritating. It was on a random spotlight thingy and was hopeless. Often the artiste on the stage was in darkness. :(

Also thought that some of the audience were not interested in listening. They were noisy and loud, although according to a friend the other side of the room was better but that may be due to better behaved audience on that side. :roll:

Well done, to the committee for the choice and quality of visiting artistes and for Jamiesons Big Pockets who were exception ! :D

Thanks for the positive comments.

Sorry to all the posters last week regarding tickets, I didn't receive any notifications of replies to this topic.

Yep you are right the noise in the Legion was getting on my nerves especially when Steve Phillips was on. The lighting is also a major problem and will be looked at for next year.

Certainly the best in the town, pretty quite in some of the country gigs, again this will be looked at for next year.

Got a few ideas for artists for next year so hopefully we can match this year, if not better it.

Thanks to the organisers for the opportunity to see some excellent musicians. :) A few comments, which might hopefully help for the future - Nice, helpful lady on the end of the phone when reserving tickets. Would agree with the lighting in the Legion - at one stage the side bright ceiling lights were put off which was good, but seemed to come back on later. Seemed to be quite long gaps between artists Fri night Legion, especially first half of night.

Hillswick Sat night was advertised in the programme as 10pm. We were late back from town and didn't get to the Hillswick Hotel until around 10pm, only to find the first local band had been'n'gone. Thought the Lyndon Anderson Band were fantastic. Very poorly attended though which was a shame. A friend we bumped into in town on Sat afternoon was raving about the LAB at Baroc and how lucky we were to have them coming out to Hillswick. Unfortunately it clashed with the Northmavine Regatta at Collafirth, but I still wouldn't be confident about large numbers coming out anyway. Some folk I spoke to afterwards, telling them they'd missed a really good night, said they wouldn't think of going to a blues night. They were unsure of what to expect and whether they would like it or not. Most did say they would probably like it if they went..

The small numbers who were there were enthusiastic > and we bought CDs and chatted with some of the band. They said that Scalloway the previous night had been poor. Although I and others appreciate the efforts to bring stuff out to the country, I'd question whether to have country gigs in some areas again. Perhaps some areas

Did I say the Lyndon Anderson Band were fantastic? ;) He's got a great voice, and great on the harmonica. The rest of the band were excellent too. Could've kicked myself I missed them at Baroc.. but thanks for introducing them to us! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After attending the Blues Festival evening at Scalloway, I emailed the organisers via the festival website the following day about some problems during the evening, but did not have the courtesy of a response.

Can anyone provide me with contact details, please?

Thanks

(***Mod Edit - Merged with existing thread***)