Shetland Man?

Kavi Ugl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hae tae agree wi da origional post, da term 'shetland man' is used very loosly in da local medie, i ken quite a few sooth folk, some english some scots etc an dey dunna class demsels as 'shetlanders' even when dir been bidin here for 20 years or mair, whit does get me as weel is da folk dat move here an imediatly class demsels as 'shetlanders' or even worse 'islanders'............. back tae da origional post, maybe we should joost send da whaifs an streys dat land here wi nae job, nae money, an nae future, back oot da sooth mooth an keep decent hard workin folk her tae keep da place a safe place for wir bairns tae grow up in joost lik i mind when i wis peerie :D

Purebred=Inbred. :roll:

So what about hard working, law abiding, decent folk, who have settled up here and have , through a combination of circumstances known to many as "life" found themselves unemployed,sick, poor, and unwilling to learn norn.

Must these unfortunates be given a coracle and banished to orkney?

It is possible to require help from the community without having ended up in that position through crime and drugs,as you may or may not know.

The tone of many of the posts here suggest that no purebred shetlander would ever be capable of doing anything bad of his own accord, but instead is easy prey for the evil soothmoother who comes here taking oor jobs, stealing oor fine bonnie lasses and getting oor peerie bairns addicted to heroin.

Why should we help those with problems at all? After all, if they had listened to the wise elders and learnt a proper trade they would never be in such bad shape, and shetland could remain comfortably like the Wicker man in 1973. Shetland is going to have to change whether some here like it or not, and if you think it's getting bad here, well have a look around at what is happening elsewhere.

We are all only two paychecks away from the gutter, apart from those with a correct and documented shetland bloodline. All this "soothmoother" crap really winds me up, as i've come accross some right numpties who are as pure shetland as one could find.

Carry on.

Weel weel weel, totaly oot o context baron, i tink doo'l fin i never mentioned folk dat cam here an worked hard tae mak an honest living an hiv some how become unemployed because o circumstanses, lots o folk hiv come here an made an honest livin an gie back a lot tae society an da comunity, i tak it doo cam in da sooth mooth an has some sort o issue wi wis speakin aboot dis 'shetland man' thing, if pure bred means inbred maybe doo should jump back on da boat an get back tae 'normal bred' society, only post on things dat dunna offend dee :lol: Speak aboot shetland folk wi a chip on dir shooders!! :wink:

There is a load of tosh written within this thread so far.

I am a Londoner moved to Shetland and am happy and proud to be living here. I would be happy to be called a Shetlander or a Shetland man or neither. My wife and I integrate totally within the community that we live in and the locals that we have met, have accepted us with open arms since we moved here. It is the acceptance by and the friendliness of everyone that is far more important to me than any tag.

Having said that, I feel that the "soothmoother" references are meant to be a tad offensive rather than a term of endearment so why use them? I think an "incomer" would be better if a person needs to actually distinguish us from those that were born here.

Out of interest, does anyone know approximately how many of the estimated current 22,000 Shetland population were actually born in Shetland? My gut feeling is that only about 60% were born here but would be interested to have a better "guestimate".

^^ Anyone coming to Shetland and settling here, with the intent to stay, or at least stay a while, because they like the place, and want to be here, is always going to be welcome. So long as they accept the place and folk for what it is, and make a meaningful effort to become an inclusive part of that, or at least respect that things are the way they are for a reason, and let them be.

Its the fly by nights who end up here because its gotten too hot somewhere else, or they've heard staying here is an easy ride, and doss down wherever they can, while they take advantage of whatever they can get their hands on, but give nothing back, Shetland can do without. Once the heat rises on them here, or they find that they've fallen for a long standing urban myth that its an easy ride here, they're out of here again, leaving the place only poorer for their ever having been.

We have more than plenty of home grown fly by nights already that we have to put up with, simply because they've always been here, and we can't persuade anyone else to take them, before we start inviting and welcoming more of the same to come here.

Purebred=Inbred. :roll:

The tone of many of the posts here suggest that no purebred shetlander would ever be capable of doing anything bad of his own accord, but instead is easy prey for the evil soothmoother who comes here taking oor jobs, stealing oor fine bonnie lasses and getting oor peerie bairns addicted to heroin.

Carry on.

BF - if doos goin tae get intae a tangle o sharn at least gate dee venecluar properly connected. OOR ... nah nah (dats for Dundonian Pubishers of Da Broon's and da lik). WIR.... wid be mare representive. I doot Somerset or sum idder ingindshire place wid soot dee better. by by.

^ Fair play, I stand corrected. About shetland grammar. However, I don't really give a toss aboot dat( in fact, I'm kinda glad that it winds y'all up, although I don't think I'm being given any credit for at least making an attempt on the Shetland dialect)

It's the attitudes I'm reading about I don't care for. The same attitudes can be found in many small communities worldwide, including the one I came from.

As for being told where to go, I'm not having that, from anyone, insect or otherwise.

Thanks for your suggestion, though. :wink:

As a British citizen, like you I presume, I am free to live anywhere I damn well please and that is all there is to it.

Oh, and it's "bye bye",, by the way. :wink:

^^ Anyone coming to Shetland and settling here, with the intent to stay, or at least stay a while, because they like the place, and want to be here, is always going to be welcome. So long as they accept the place and folk for what it is, and make a meaningful effort to become an inclusive part of that, or at least respect that things are the way they are for a reason, and let them be.

Its the fly by nights who end up here because its gotten too hot somewhere else, or they've heard staying here is an easy ride, and doss down wherever they can, while they take advantage of whatever they can get their hands on, but give nothing back, Shetland can do without. Once the heat rises on them here, or they find that they've fallen for a long standing urban myth that its an easy ride here, they're out of here again, leaving the place only poorer for their ever having been.

We have more than plenty of home grown fly by nights already that we have to put up with, simply because they've always been here, and we can't persuade anyone else to take them, before we start inviting and welcoming more of the same to come here.

Thanks Ghostrider, this is exactly the overall point that I was trying to make along with the fact that it's an insult that these individuals are being refered to as a "Shetland Man/Woman".

Sadly, Shetland seems to be becoming over run by such people and I find it so vexing that half of the new housing that's being built is to house these drop-outs and ones living south who have stuck their names down on the housing waiting list in the hope of getting a new house in the "land of milk and honey" that is Shetland.

There is absolutely no way that you can have a waiting list of 1000 from a population of 22,000.

daveh, nice to hear from you!. I was beginning to wonder where you'd gone. Oh, and how are the night classes going?. Mastered the word "peerie" yet :wink: :lol:

I think it is possible to be a bit too protective of the term Shetlander.

I think it is common knowledge that at a meeting about the Bressay bridge someone was classed as an incomer despite having moved there when he was just (I believe) three months old.

I know of someone who was told that their children were not shetlanders, despite their being born and bred here with Shetland heritage.

I have met and worked with many people that have moved here and are passionate about Shetland and what it is and have done much more re: it's culture, history and heritage than I (born and bred) am ever likely to. Some have lived here longer than I have. To my mind some people that have moved here are Shetland in every way but accident of birth. And Shetland has benefited by them being here.

Is it possible to be a shetlander by adopting it as your home? Because I for one can't see why it shouldn't be.

^ Fair play, I stand corrected. About shetland grammar. However, I don't really give a toss aboot dat( in fact, I'm kinda glad that it winds y'all up, although I don't think I'm being given any credit for at least making an attempt on the Shetland dialect)

It's the attitudes I'm reading about I don't care for. The same attitudes can be found in many small communities worldwide, including the one I came from.

As for being told where to go, I'm not having that, from anyone, insect or otherwise.

Thanks for your suggestion, though. :wink:

As a British citizen, like you I presume, I am free to live anywhere I damn well please and that is all there is to it.

Oh, and it's "bye bye",, by the way. :wink:

Attempts "at" wid be nearly acceptable - attempts "on".. nah nah doos speaking pish.... and dool ner wind wis up athoot a troosip aboard.

Shetland is not a small community. It is probably the biggest and probably the bestest. Cum alang an see - do might enjoy.

.... and as aside - a bug is not always just an insect, it is occasionally referred to as a listening device..or da feery, or..........................?

and noone above told you where to go, and no doubt noone will

by by - venecular for by by :)