tall ships

hflynn

Lets face it, UHA is, and always was a "themed parade"

Very true. It is many things to many people, but first and foremost it is a big party.

... any historical authenticity probably begins and ends with the written bit about whoever any one Jarl is representing on any given year.

Actually the accuracy of that material varies enormously. Sometimes the information is meticulously researched and of high scholarly quality. At other times it is conjecture mixed with total fiction. Doesn't bother me either way, as it is not an aspect of UHA which interests me much.

It probably could be said its "Norseman style", or "Norseman inspired", but any more than that is giving it credit for something its not.

Yes. The concentration on Viking themes since the early formalisation of the festival is certainly significant and a key aspect nowadays, and the relevance of Shetland's Viking heritage to UHA fiery activities suits well. The essence of the festival is, however, in the spree and the fire.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't be half as bad if the suits actually resembled what the vikings wore but what we see is "Hollywood vikings" and it's an embarrassment :(

UHA is about the spectacle and the all night sesh. If you're desperate to see a genuine barbaric hoard dressed in helmets and worn, faded, blood stained leather you should be going to the Simmer Dim Rally instead.

...."burger van" sitting at the back of the old toilets selling lamb burgers....

Was its siting at such a location coincidental.....or necessary. :shock:

It was een of yon sooth venders so I'm guessing it was an arranged spot. I mind hearing a lot of negative comments aboot da prices :shock:

@Gibber, nah, I'm no desperate to see "a genuine barbaric hoard" of anything!.

Boys a Bressay, da Simmer Dim Rally soonds rough :shock: :lol:

I'm clearly in the minority here, and I'm really looking forward to the Tall Ships!
The last event was great and there was no compulsion to buy burgers from the south catering van. That said the weather did help being warm, dry and sunny if a touch too calm from the point of view of the sailors trying to win a race. This year will also be good even if it rains. Maybe we should remember how privileged we are to see the ships without having to cope with the crowds that the event attracts to the mainland ports.

I have never heard the last tall ships being called a disaster by anyone, it was a huge success, and the next one should be every bit as good. Why do you think so many of the ships want to return to Shetland.

Also 100s,maybe 1000s of Shetlanders returned home for it, it was great to see so many old pals all at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CyprusPluto

Didn't live in Shetland in 1999, so personally really looking forward to it as I imagine numerous people are. My family are coming up for a visit at that time.

As for the entertainment, perhaps not to everyone's taste, but can't wait to see Bjorn Again. Tickets go on sale in March. Does anyone know how you will be able to get hold of them?

Oh dear. Complete lack of original thinking in the line-up for the Tall Ships. Bjorn Again - again and the Levellers again - again! :roll:

It was good last time, maybe just the inspiration for someone else to get involved. Suprising that the whole thing now revolves around two repeat bookings with its success, how about the new generation on new young musicians, time to show the powers to be that music lessons and music are a huge part of Shetland Culture and should remain free. Don't knock it back because of two groups, the world, the folk taking part and the folks planning to visit are watching.

I have a very rarely used trumpet to give away, only played a couple of times since New, in a case, not an expensive one. Trying to recapture some of my past. In the spirit of this some youngun From Shetland can have it for free. It needs some restarting. Vaves may stick. Postage donation to JDRF Shetland please.

Oh dear. Complete lack of original thinking in the line-up for the Tall Ships. Bjorn Again - again and the Levellers again - again! :roll:
Suprising that the whole thing now revolves around two repeat bookings with its success, how about the new generation on new young musicians....
Maybe not the most adventurous choice of headliners, but given the wide variety of ages and nationalities who will be out and about, they're probably safe bets in terms of entertainment. There will, however, be plenty of young (and not so young!) local bands playing over the weekend too

I have a very rarely used trumpet to give away, only played a couple of times since New, in a case, not an expensive one. Trying to recapture some of my past. In the spirit of this some youngun From Shetland can have it for free. It needs some restarting. Vaves may stick. Postage donation to JDRF Shetland please.
Good on you shetlandpeat! I'll let folk know about your kind offer