Shetland's cultural diversity and integration

Styles

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting topic. I would say that life in Shetland could be difficult for a 'soothmoother' but in many cases i'm sure they could live a very happy life if they have the right kind of attitude. I can kinda see where Styles is coming from with ppl 'steamin in' but i would certainly not go as far as saying incomers are gradually making life poorer in Shetland for all. In my opinion there are good and bad people wherever you go in life. Frankly i think there are very few ppl like this in Shetland. Although there definitly 'know-it-all' types, they are by no means all non-Shetlanders. Shetland society has been based upon incomers to the isles for hundreds of years, seen most vividly in recent memory with the oil days. Those that came to Shetland in the 70's and beyond have, on the whole, made a positive contribution and should be valued as much as any true Shetlander. Currently Shetland is facing population decline and once again we need people to come and work in Shetland and therefore i think we need to maintain an attractive environment for incomers. But it is too naiive to believe that only 'nice' ppl will move here. There are bad apples inside and outside Shetland but i do believe that our community spirit is positive and that by fostering this spirit incoming people will embrace like it has been in the past.

This is an interesting topic. I would say that life in Shetland could be difficult for a 'soothmoother' but in many cases i'm sure they could live a very happy life if they have the right kind of attitude. I can kinda see where Styles is coming from with ppl 'steamin in' but i would certainly not go as far as saying incomers are gradually making life poorer in Shetland for all. In my opinion there are good and bad people wherever you go in life. Frankly i think there are very few ppl like this in Shetland. Although there definitly 'know-it-all' types, they are by no means all non-Shetlanders. Shetland society has been based upon incomers to the isles for hundreds of years, seen most vividly in recent memory with the oil days. Those that came to Shetland in the 70's and beyond have, on the whole, made a positive contribution and should be valued as much as any true Shetlander. Currently Shetland is facing population decline and once again we need people to come and work in Shetland and therefore i think we need to maintain an attractive environment for incomers. But it is too naiive to believe that only 'nice' ppl will move here. There are bad apples inside and outside Shetland but i do believe that our community spirit is positive and that by fostering this spirit incoming people will embrace like it has been in the past.

I agree whole heartedly.

The way I see it:

If I go somewhere on holiday, or if I decided to up stix and move somewhere else, I would always utterly respect the locals, and in no way would I ever try to stick my oar in at every/any opportunity. I would try my best to fit in with the locals, respect their language and way of life, and try to cause as little fuss as possible. I have nothing to prove. no empire to build.

I have no problems with people who come here that follow this sort of ideology. If you think and act like this, your more than welcome here!, the more the merrier. I do have problems with people who come here and think they own the place, and try and talk down to the locals like there a bunch of inbred retarded idiots.

I sometimes get really annoyed when I go on holiday, a few years ago I was in Prague, and the city was full of young loud mouthed British folk, all shouting, swearing, drunk, puking all over the place, generally obnoxious and taking the place before them, a British stereotype?, sadly I'd be inclined to think so. The locals I spoke to did not have a high opinion of the British for this reasons, Ive seen the same in other foreign cites, it is embarrassing, really embarrassing. I have never to this day seen any of the Chinese, Italians or French tourists etc act like this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/W/wakey_wakey/bad_behaviour_t.html

Styles

New postPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It allways vexes me that people put down hate, intolerence, envy, distrust, anger and hatred as in reality humans have evolved these states of mind to give us an advatage if we are truthful. they would not exist and would have been bred out if they were not an advantage. Ponder that, what people call negative feelings are a bilogical advantage and more than that part of the formula for us being so succesful!

The above is extracted from the thread on evolution but is very relevant to this discussion.

Hate,intolerance and distrust are an advantage to colonists. They enable you to take over other peoples properties without compassion and allow you to persuade others to follow your example. They allow you to ignore people in need.

On the other hand. Such traits generate deep hatreds in the victims and sometimes lead to the early demise of the perpetrators.

In a small community, it is important not to offend your neighbours. Careless talk can cause rifts which can destroy a community. Therefore IMO we tend to tread carefully in public rather than risk our community.

Incomers tend to not have this inhibition although most seem to play by the rules and blend in well.

If something bothers us we tend to sort it out quietly one to one rather than make it a public spectacle.

It is probably very different in the metropolis where there may be less need to worry about offending others - unless they've got guns or bombs.

Diplomatic and Reserved thats us. Speak quietly but have a big stick to hand.

I agree that you get good and bad everywhere but I also strongly believe that the environment in which we stay is a huge determinant in shaping our attitudes, preconceptions and prejudices towards others. As a native born and bred now looking in from outside I would believe that Shetland could be unwelcoming, isolating and unfriendly to some incomers, despite the widely-held view to the contrary.

On the whole, I think Shetlanders are approachable, helpful and good natured (and yes, diplomatic and reserved) but I’m not sure that always equates to a genuine acceptance of folk who are viewed to be ‘different’ in some way or other (and that can apply to natives just as much as incomers). I can think of many incomers who have been widely accepted by the community and would never consider anywhere else to be home. Equally though, I can think of those who haven’t – often just because of their religion, race, accent, education, occupation, sexuality, nationality, beliefs, how they dress, because they choose not to get involved in the local social scene – or a combination of them. Some poor soul has to fuel the hunger for the petty gossiping, back biting and bitching we all know goes on in Shetland (or for that matter any small community anywhere in the country) and lets face it, those who fall into one of the ‘different’ categories are easy fodder.

Living away as I do now, the strong sense of community, the warm and very genuine welcome home I always get and the way folk rally around to help each other in times of crisis are among the things that make Shetland special for me personally. As either natives or incomers who feel an allegiance to Shetland, it’s easy to presume that that should be everyone’s experience of the place when I’m sure it isn’t always so.

One of the main problems of a small community is lack of diversity in the population. IN-BREEDING in other words. That's why we have to good at coontin' kin here.

Despite the odd side crack we might make about soothmoothers and white settlers we really do NEED incomers. Perhaps some east european genes are going to be next to add to the Shetland makeup.

As an incomer I have had a mixed reception from the locals. I have seen both extremes of the welcome, but I feel that living in Lerwick has possibly tainted my view of Shetland in many ways. I don't mean to offend when I say that the quality of Shetland is probably outside of Lerwick. I would have loved to live out in the country, but it hasn't been possible.

I can mix well, but as an almost non-drinker in an environment that arguably has a drink culture, it can be difficult to fit in.

I am happy to enjoy a relatively solitary life outside of the family environment, but I will come to the help of those in genuine need, be they locals or otherwise.

I will moan and gripe about inequalities and I often ask difficult questions, but I like to provoke debate. I live here though because I choose to, and whilst everything is far from perfect or far from how I would like it the balance is in favour of staying.

I would like to post an account of my first Shetland New Year.......

My wife and i had moved into our home in October (in da toon) and having seen the New Year in at the inlaws we made our way home, little after arriving home the back door crashed open and a stranger burst in wishing us all a happy new year and spilling whiskey all over the place... my Englishmans home defence mode triggered and i felt this objection to what was going on welling up inside me as my wife made him welcome, i had never experienced anything like it but soon came to realise that Shetland is not England and i love the open door friendly life here....long may it endure.

Quote..

From Charlie a real Shetlander.....

"Boy boy i bought a new car years ago and until the day i sold it i never took the igntion key out of it"

From a fellow i spoke to in Scalloway....

"You can fall asleep drunk in a Lerwick shop door and wake up in your bed"

Shetland is and always will be special as long as we want it to be.

Sal