No 2 minutes silence on SIBC (***mod edit - the silence was observed***)

Longdog

What do you think of the lack of 2 minute silence on SIBC today?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the lack of 2 minute silence on SIBC today?

• Very disrespectful...
    • What ever...

... as the people who were with me were not impressed.

... A couple of minutes along with the rest of the country (many businesses and broadcasters) for people to reflect together on wars in the world and friends/family lost or injured is not bad thing really.

The general idea here is that people are expressing their solidarity by deciding to refrain from speaking for a couple of minutes. Not a lot of effort involved in that. Surely the additional act of actually choosing to switch the radio off would make the effort more meaningful? Nowadays people seem to expect to have their erses wiped for them and everything provided on a plate, even the most minimal of tokenistic contemplation. :roll:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it sadly ironic that someone who - through the best of intentions, I am sure, from their own perspective - rails against warmongers, should threaten violence so readily against another, herein, simply for having the unmitigated gall to disagree with you. :?

I would have thought that, with your obvious firsthand experiences, sir, you would understand that violence begets violence, and resolves nothing.

But then, maybe you truly are "a very naughty boy"! :wink:

Your humble servant.

Guest Anonymous

I just re-read what I'd given my support to to there.. Shame on me.

I read EM's post to be supportive of my belief that remembrance doesn't stop with a symbol but I now feel he's only complaining about the quality of inaction that's being offered.

And Sherlock.. You can sod off! I can't indulge someone who portrays themselves as a fictional character and expects to be taken seriously!

“The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of thousands is a matter of statisticsâ€. (Joseph Stalin in a conversation with Churchill).

That is why we should remember - to make damn sure that world leaders know that we won’t forget.

Geez northernxposure I understand you feel passionately about this from reading your posts but I was only saying my opinion. You can't change the fact some people wear their poppy one day and forget about it the rest of the year but there are others who feel a great deal of respect all year round, for the poor men still fighting and should be home with their families.

I find it sadly ironic that someone who - through the best of intentions, I am sure, from their own perspective - rails against warmongers, should threaten violence so readily against another, herein, simply for having the unmitigated gall to disagree with you. :?

I would have thought that, with your obvious firsthand experiences, sir, you would understand that violence begets violence, and resolves nothing.

But then, maybe you truly are "a very naughty boy"! :wink:

Your humble servant.

Have I missed something or is it that I'm no Sherlock?

This made me laugh, SIC twitter feed

"SIBC news - Remembrance Sunday: SIBC carries two minute silence live from war memorial/town hall area in central Lerwick for 24th time."

buts whats all this about?

"SIBC news - Visiting bird watchers given fresh advice on giving offence to Shetland people."

its like a spoof news site lol.

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=SIBC_Shetland

So NOT a case of "no 2 min silence" .. just observed annually for 24 years on Remembrance Sunday.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ian and Inga for the 24/7 service (with very little thanks) that they provide for Shetland

It would be great to just get on with things without the good old 'Shetslaggers' having a go at anything they see fit and don't agree with. Glad this thread (or original post) has been proven wrong and we can look forward to the next one! :wink: