Electricity supply and powercuts

JustMe

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The £54 is what seemed to be on offer for places like Fetlar who were the last to be reconnected at near the 48hr mark. As we lost all heating all cooking and most of the food in our fridge ( why as it was cold is beyond me) it seems very fair.naturally we are looking for a gas cooker now....All admiration to those who worked in the weather to get supplys back.

The £54 is what seemed to be on offer for places like Fetlar who were the last to be reconnected at near the 48hr mark. As we lost all heating all cooking and most of the food in our fridge ( why as it was cold is beyond me) it seems very fair.naturally we are looking for a gas cooker now....All admiration to those who worked in the weather to get supplys back.

It would be fair if they coughed up for every time we lose power - £10 per hour would be fairer. How much you betting they could find the dosh to upgrade the infrastructure if that compo package was a legal requirement?

A gas cooker is a sensible thought. And food in the fridge going off? Maybe in the summer, but winter is generally cooler. About fridge level.

It sorta highlights too the waste. When we lost power, and there were worries about the freezer, we cooked everything we could and put it back into the freezer when the power came back. Folk could not really afford to throw out still good food and sit back expecting compensation. Do folk really go without to prove they can get less money than what they went without cost? Well, give more compensation, someone else should do something, not me.

Seems times have changed.

Folk have become too reliant on one fuel, and when it is turned off, they have no other options, and do not make plans, or so it seems.

As soon as they have their electric back, on goes the PeeCee to complain at folk they don't know, really.

Folk have become too reliant on one fuel, and when it is turned off, they have no other options, and do not make plans, or so it seems.

As soon as they have their electric back, on goes the PeeCee to complain at folk they don't know, really.

Have you actually thought that many people do not have the spare cash to go out and buy generators or don't have anywhere to site one? Some can't even afford a second-hand Calor gas heater either.

Damn right I was on the phone to complain to the lekky company, especially given the amount of time us down the sarf end have experienced interruptions to our power supplies recently (and, for that matter, over the last couple of years).

The Call Centre are usually advised of planned maintenance - their Manager was not happy at all that Radio Shetland had been advised but they hadn't so they did not have the opportunity to telephone people like they usually do or get letters sent out. I have no problems whatsoever with the local staff namely those who go out and do the repairs but I do have major problems with the higher management. How come they can afford to invest in a windfarm but NOT the infrastructure?

I kind of agree with both of youse

Folks have become too reliant on electricity, even when I lived in the city I'd expect a powercut at least once a quater. I had gas and electric, plenty of candles and wind up lights and radio, you learn't to prepare for the worst.

But the electric problems in the south end in the last 4years are beyond a joke. At one point EVERY time I visited the south mainland there was a powercut, no matter how fine the weather.

oh and SP your comp figures are definitely wrong as this house had no interruption over the festive period.

They were not wrong. I did say if everyone got it it would be a bit over a million. That is correct. The point is that the level of compensation will no way justify the installation of a comlete network. No where did I say. That every one would get it.

It would no way pay for the new network even if all were to get it. As a saving.

Have you actually thought that many people do not have the spare cash to go out and buy generators or don't have anywhere to site one? Some can't even afford a second-hand Calor gas heater either.

Damn right I was on the phone to complain to the lekky company, especially given the amount of time us down the sarf end have experienced interruptions to our power supplies recently (and, for that matter, over the last couple of years).

The Call Centre are usually advised of planned maintenance - their Manager was not happy at all that Radio Shetland had been advised but they hadn't so they did not have the opportunity to telephone people like they usually do or get letters sent out. I have no problems whatsoever with the local staff namely those who go out and do the repairs but I do have major problems with the higher management. How come they can afford to invest in a windfarm but NOT the infrastructure?

Simples ...

£10 quid in bank.

Wind farm costs £10 distribution network upgrade costs £10

Choices choices ..

1. Invest in network and we won;t have to put up with those whinging, never happy 'customers' complaining everytime there is a brief outage for a day or two.

2. Build wind farm and sell lots of leccy to more grateful punters, making loads of cash in the process.

So .. I would say option one, and use a tiny amount of the return on investment to install an automoton telephone system with so many options and menus that the electricty will have come on by the time the ungrateful have got to the option of 'if you wish to complain press ..'

• 2 months later...