Electricity supply and powercuts

JustMe

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the temp outside? Is there snow?

You could refreeze them, for a while.

As for cooking, I have never understood why they build houses without fire places for a real fire, considering the amount of cuts at this time of the year. Fires work outside too for cooking, perhaps a good ole Blazing Saddles campfire and bean fest.

We all ought to think seriously about having a couple of single gas rings so we can at least cook something in event of long power cuts......more if you have a large household. And making sure that your insurance covers loss of frozen food in a long power cut. Or get a generator.

As for part cooked turkeys on Christmas Day I would just maybe think that in future you check the weather forecast. Hurricanes do tend to mean if the power goes off it will be off for a while and cold turkey is better than wasted turkey. Mine was cooked by lunchtime on Christmas Eve.

Maybe if the windfarm plans go ahead one of the conditions could be that the Hydro has to make Shetland's main distribution network storm proof as part of the deal. In fact I think they should have to do that anyway and if they cannot pay for it out of their vast profits then the Scottish, British or European governments should help fund it. After all they are funding high speed broadband for remote areas and it would be handy to have some electricity so we could use it.

The windfarm should enhance the community networks.

Here, with big developments we get Section 106 monies or as they are called now Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) They are used to improve community networks and access for the new build.

Though I don't know how it would stand about upgrading a network that will really take away the perceived responsibilities of shareholders to look at ways of providing a safer (but never guaranteed) supply network.

I could be a time for small outlying communities to invest as a whole in some sort of back up, especially if there are folk more vulnerable than others.

The deaths here in the North West, due to the cold were estimated at 3000 last year, folk should think about some sort of back up, especially with new builds that do not even include chimneys in some cases, a house with out a hearth is quite wrong, it will help too with condensation and as well as help with some breathing problems this modern sealed life brings.

They already have their priorities worked out, dunno if you noticed.

With shareholders (I wonder how many reading this are shareholders) they do not want to make a loss, why should they. You wouldn't!

The only way is to prove that there is a benefit to the shareholders, normally their pockets. It ain't about pricing up how many metres of 11/6.6 kV cable you need at about £12 per metre. It is a huge undertaking, and for how many folk, 22,000 ish?

Folk who have medical conditions that require a safe power supply are catered for with various systems, they are on the top of the genny list if they need one.

It would also increase the cost of new housing, not a case of tapping onto an O/H but trenching, huge cable joints (which become a problem in themselves if made in the damp) that are prone to fail before the cable.

It could also mean that additional lengths of 3 phase LV cable will be required, then there would be the Volt Drop on these additional lengths.

There needs to be a feasible answer to this.

^ You ain't seriously suggesting we should suffer having a wind farm in order not to have a second rate grid are you? They should get their priorities sorted. They can **** ***** ***** orf! :evil:

Will you see it from your house?

Folk who have medical conditions that require a safe power supply are catered for with various systems, they are on the top of the genny list if they need one. ...

^ You ain't seriously suggesting we should suffer having a wind farm in order not to have a second rate grid are you? They should get their priorities sorted. They can **** ***** ***** orf! :evil:

There aren't enough generators to go around. Thankfully, there have been occasions when they have provided one to me, for which I am grateful.

It is irrelevant whether I will see it from here - the way the damn wind carries noise, I'll probably hear it but either way, don't want the stupid thing! :evil:

Is that even relevant? I know many people with objections to the windfarm that won't be able to see it from their house. Does that make their issues invalid? Surely not!

I thought it was interesting when looking at the facebook windfarm poll voters - amongst my fb friends the results were as follows:

Against - mix of all areas of Shetland

Pro - only one person living in the affected area

Not scientific by any means, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.