Shetlink: is it time to quit?

Malachy

Is Shetlink still a valuable part of Shetland life?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is Shetlink still a valuable part of Shetland life?

• Yes
    • No

I totally agree with using real names only - would stop the whinging cowards hiding behind stupid names so that they can make comments on the forums. I also think that all adverts shoul have locations on, and that all profiles should have a location that can be verified.

Since this thread started, I have volunteered twice to the mods that I would organised and moderate the classifieds. They were too ignorant even to reply to me, so what chance of any of the forums being moderated properly.

Yes, its time to quit.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with using real names only - would stop the whinging cowards hiding behind stupid names so that they can make comments on the forums. I also think that all adverts shoul have locations on, and that all profiles should have a location that can be verified.

Since this thread started, I have volunteered twice to the mods that I would organised and moderate the classifieds. They were too ignorant even to reply to me, so what chance of any of the forums being moderated properly.

Yes, its time to quit.

Bye Bye then!

Hmm, about the time the mild mannered janitor was about.

I would not quit, it is really great fun, although the publik slanging matches and the difference of opinions, there is no hate, not from here. Some do go too far but they never seem to stay long, I do think you are all great in your ways. It is what makes up a better community.

Have a great New Year, all of you, apart from those who do not deserve one, you know who you are!!

• 5 months later...

Like any forum of its type, Shetlink can only ever be as "good" as the content provided by its users.

That said, the general tone will always be influenced by social factors in general and I guess the current atmosphere of uncertainty with council cuts, the northlink/serco carry on make for inevitably dreary topics.

Still, plenty of bargains to be had in the classifieds and plenty of amusement to attend in the Events Calendar, so its not all bad surely :)

The Chocolate man is still here.

If we were to act like we do here, in the street, we would probably get arrested. So, in a way, it helps folk get stuff off their chest. I personally think there needs to be a little tweeking of the rules, to protect folk. Any racist comments, instant ban. As it is a criminal offence, for one I will look at reporting the next incident to the police. The forum has enough information to ID the computer. Hate crime is another thing that seems to happen here every now and then.

Many folk I speak to see Shetlink as a group of bitter and twisted folk who have nothing better to do than to spout bile at anything +ve. In some ways they are right, that is what they see.

I think a trim here and there, maybe it may be time to employ someone to oversee the ads and maybe the forum too. Their commission could come from the donations made on sales.

If we were to act like we do here, in the street, we would probably get arrested.

Absolute bollox! There's virtually nothing said on here that isn't said in ten times worse terms in the street, in the pub and in folks houses etc continously.

The T&C's are fine as they are, anybody that takes offence at anything that complies with them, is being IMHO a tad over-sensitive and/or finding fault where none exists just for the sake of stirring. If you start sanitising every comment to appease the literal letter of ultra squeaky clean PC philosophy and positively "discourage" negativity, you may as well close the place as the atmospehere and image created will be nearer to Neverneverland than reality.

A cross section of any population is a very diverse bunch, from the always chirpy to the permenantly dour, and from those who never shut up to those who never say a thing. To artificially remanufacture any random grouping of individuals in to a happy-clappy its all sunshine and roses and lets all be friends group, is to simply force the enaction of a fantasy that represents no-one and nothing and will end up imploding or exploding.

With the exception of my first comment about the RMT strike ballot which I think I worded somewhat badly and might not wish to discuss with union members in a back street bar in Aberdeen I stand by everything I have ever posted on Shetlink. Or maybe I can qualify that by saying I stand by everything I said based on information available at the time. And I feel sorry for the moderators.

If we were to act like we do here, in the street, we would probably get arrested.

Absolute bollox! There's virtually nothing said on here that isn't said in ten times worse terms in the street, in the pub and in folks houses etc continously.

Could you quantify 10 times worse a racist or a bigot?

As JustMe has said, there are certain things you may not want to shout out in a packed shopping centre, however, if you put a bag over your head, you will be OK? No one will know who you are then.

The T&C's are fine as they are, anybody that takes offence at anything that complies with them, is being IMHO a tad over-sensitive and/or finding fault where none exists just for the sake of stirring. If you start sanitising every comment to appease the literal letter of ultra squeaky clean PC philosophy and positively "discourage" negativity, you may as well close the place as the atmospehere and image created will be nearer to Neverneverland than reality.

You have just made that up. Adding to the conditions to reflect the seriousness of racism, bigotry, incitement and persecution by PM should be addressed. I will repeat that I may consider reporting the next openly racist comment to the police, anyone in the world can do that as it is an open forum.

The other odd thing some do is make complaint that a comment or phrase is wrong and should not be there for fear of upsetting folk and then quoting it. That is just turd stirring, which some seem quite good at doing. I have yet seen the point of duplicating anything that could upset, or be made to upset.

Using other folks accounts is another thing that is wrong, as folk will never trust who is who.

A cross section of any population is a very diverse bunch, from the always chirpy to the permenantly dour, and from those who never shut up to those who never say a thing. To artificially remanufacture any random grouping of individuals in to a happy-clappy its all sunshine and roses and lets all be friends group, is to simply force the enaction of a fantasy that represents no-one and nothing and will end up imploding or exploding.

More over reaction to prove your own point. Taken a tad to the extream and not to what I am suggesting. What I do see in this post is a little of the darkside. You may be a knight in shining armour to some, you may be held in a different light to others.

Banter is fine, but hatred is not.