Advertisements

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Mods - the flashing banner currently at the top of the shetland news page is in my opinion a type of scam and links such as these have NO (shouting intended) place on Shetlink.

I would suggest that you arrange for it to be removed and ensure that whoever is supplying these types of adds is told not to do it again. It is clearly trying to convince people that they have won something the patently haven't.

For your information this is the site the add was linking to - NB for those of you who are inexperienced web users I would suggest that the link is meant for the moderators and no one should do anything other that look at the link( if they really have to) - do not give this site ANY details about yourself or any card details - you have been warned

https://www.ashoppingspree.com/int0IOOll01/default.asp?cp=DNC-Int-Bnr&ac=wht

thanks

(***Mod Edit - Moved from the Email Scams thread***)

• 1 month later...
If there are still dodgy ones going then please do highlight these; the quality of the advertising is important.

Just got a "Guaranteed WINNER You are the 6,554,911,445th visitor to see this lucky banner..." left side ad. It links here:

http://www.freelotto.com/register.asp?skin=FWinner&affiliateid=&noepu=1&partner=1059817

Sharn.

:roll:

Think yourselves lucky, most places would ban any user mentioning ad-blockers immediately!

(I've also yet to see an ad-blocker that doesn't place more load on a system than an animated advert) Wink

Information please JAS, not the declaration of the lack thereof. Especially after Spinners comment!

Thank you. :P

Adblock does not stop you gaining revenue from me. Essentially all that has happened is that I've told my computer not to show images from whatever ridiculious flashing smilie-related ad site that is used. It's still there, i've just hidden it.

Think yourselves lucky, most places would ban any user mentioning ad-blockers immediately!

http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/files/u12/wikipedian_protester.png

If there are still dodgy ones going then please do highlight these; the quality of the advertising is important.

The grey "Message alert. You have messages waiting for you" ads are common today. Linked to:

http://media.fastclick.net/w/click.here?cid=141537&mid=268212&sid=26967&m=1&c=2437

Those are really dubious and full of lies.

• 9 months later...

Having been using Adblock Plus for some time I have only just discovered that I can make Shetlink and exception to ads being blocked. That is really good as it means I am seeing local ads that might interest me without having lots of irritating things from other sites.

Guess I should mention I am using Firefox and this may not work with other browsers.

Well, as I've said before, sometimes these Shelink ads to actually serve up things I'm interested in and I find things to click reasonably often.

Booked my travel and accommodation via Shetlink ads; bought a computer game, etc.

So, personally I don't mind them at all. Especially compared to TV adverts, which get right in your face for 15 minutes when you're all immersed in something.

• 3 months later...

I've been noticing for some time that many, but not all, of the banner ads on Shetlink don't fit within their windows. Now I don't particularly want to have the adverts take up more screen space than they do currently, but surely the current situation can't be what is best. I wonder if perhaps peeved advertisers might, on discovering that all their material is not readable, request refunding?