Shetland Parkour Experience

ShetlandYouth

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unlinked student - I'm not trying to convince you or convert you to Parkour, I just think it's important that you understand the event and the work that's went in.

I cant comment on exactly where all of the funding came from, that would be for Shetland Youth to answer, I do know a very significat chunk of it came from 2014 Communities which is independent of local authority funding.

Anyway im looking forward to it, as most people are, and I appreciate it's not for everyone. I just think it's very easy to focus on a few negative points, which i think are really just about miconception, and overlook the fact that a group of young Shetlanders have came together, brought money and young people into lerwick to do something physical and positive.

Chris.

unlinked student - I'm not trying to convince you or convert you to Parkour, I just think it's important that you understand the event and the work that's went in.

Why is it important that I understand the event and the work that's (sic) went in? I initially did say at the beginning I was in two minds about this event and still feel the same way.

I cant comment on exactly where all of the funding came from, that would be for Shetland Youth to answer, I do know a very significat chunk of it came from 2014 Communities which is independent of local authority funding.

Great to hear that some funding came from elsewhere but given the amount of cuts the SIC are enforcing, I'm somewhat puzzled as to why Environmental Health can sponsor this event yet no longer provide dog poo bags and I, for one, will be seeking to ascertain precisely how much money SIC did contribute to the event.

Anyway im looking forward to it, as most people are, and I appreciate it's not for everyone. I just think it's very easy to focus on a few negative points, which i think are really just about miconception, and overlook the fact that a group of young Shetlanders have came together, brought money and young people into lerwick to do something physical and positive.

How on earth do you know that most people are looking forward to it?

Yes, it is fine for those participating in the event to learn how to do things safely but what happens when they 'show off' their moves to others who didn't attend? What happens in neighbourhoods when kids decide it is a good idea to utilise street furniture and the like outside the constraints of your organised classes, way after you've gone? This is akin to skateboarders, roller skaters - some are responsible, others aren't. Fine to skateboard in a park/designated area but you try carrying a load of shopping and go around a corner, only to come face-to-face with one of 'em and whoosh!, you on the deck. Likewise, many a car driver down sarf will let you know just how annoying it is to have somebody roller skate down a main road at speed and you're in a car behind them.

I've watched the youchoob clip and hell, I remember doing leap frog myself and so on in a gym/school hall but we knew the hassle we'd get in if we did it outside in the street over bollards. Jumping off/through railings and the like in any other circumstances would be deemed anti-social behaviour and I'm trying to get my head around how you perhaps deem this to be okay when you've left Shetland as some will (despite perhaps your advice) continue to do these activities and do cause a nuisance - please don't say they don't because there are other youchoob clips showing that they do.

You are never going to be able to please everyone. Sometimes there is little point in trying.

I've seen parkour a few times, just by happening upon it. Mainly south, but once up here.

It has always been great to watch, there are some really skilled people out there. And I can honestly say that none if the people I have seen have been in any way disrespectful nor were they a nuisance. I have only seen people do parkour where there has been plenty of space - I can't think that there would be much joy in trying it on a narrow pavement next to a main road.

Personally, I think it's great. It gets the kids out and about and active and it's cheap. It can also be amazing to watch - both my middle-aged self and my senior citizen mother agree on that.

"Why is it important that I understand the event and the work that's (sic) went in? I initially did say at the beginning I was in two minds about this event and still feel the same way. "

If you are going to chip in your opinion on something dont you feel that it should be informed?

My son is really looking forward to it, and I am delighted it's happening. Its excellent that so many people put so much effort into putting on an event like this in Shetland.

I am happy about the safety training, but also understand everything has an inherrant 'risk'. Even bairns playing ootside or nipping to the shop has a bit of risk. I do get a bit concerned about the overly 'what if' way of thinking about stuff...what happens to bairns who are protected in cotton wool all the time? We're not putting our bairns in danger, they should be taught to figure out how risky something is for themselves...from crossing the road to Parkour, or playing ootside. Do bairns who are wrapped up in cotton wool learn how to figure this oot for themselves?

Some people will love Parkour, and some people will hate it...you cant please everybody, but me and my son are really lookin forward to it, canna wait!

"Why is it important that I understand the event and the work that's (sic) went in? I initially did say at the beginning I was in two minds about this event and still feel the same way. "

If you are going to chip in your opinion on something dont you feel that it should be informed?

I was perhaps under the impression that the youtube clip provided initially was the information. I hope the event goes well for you.

I have a really strong dislike to the people who do Parkour in Shetland.

I was outside Don Leslie's and the boys were flipping and jumping over the wall, the most ridiculous place to do it. Endangering themselves and car users. One nearly got hit by a car and the driver had to suddenly stop. Which is a nuisance to everyone.

Another time, which really irritated me was the boys doing the jumps in the middle of the street! Getting in peoples way! That is the most annoying thing when they stand in the middle of the street and do their jumps. I don't mind when I see them at Hjaltland Housing, it's away from everyone.

I have a two year old and she is always running and on the go and I've had to get reins for her because she is so active and runs about. She's hard to keep an eye on! I have this massive fear where the she will run in front of these boys and she will get seriously injured! Then what? Anyone who has or had young children will know, that once a toddler is hurt and is crying they're hard to keep settled!

If they have somewhere to go that would be fantastic, and I would support it. But my concern is, what if the SIC or whoever is organising this, decides to build an arena for them. Just like the skateboarding park that was built at Gremista. And then it gets knocked down. More money wasted.

I think it's great that this event is being set up. Youngsters need things to do and a new sport to highlight their talents is brilliant!

But with certain cut backs like in care homes, such as Veiwforth which is closing down, I feel the money should have been put in other places. If the event was really needed I'm sure the youngsters could've done fundraising themselves. Like schools do for some trips South they do.

And Chris I appreciate you coming up and coaching them, telling Snowflake and others like myself, that the reason why it was banned was because of a student not taking into consideration of safety and didn't have someone guiding them. But can you really ensure that ANY of these children will always have someone to guide them and show them how to do things correctly? Most of the boys who do it themselves are learning new things and have just as much experience as each other. How can they show them guidance when they're trying to guide themselves.

I know some of the older ones who do Parkour, and I know some of the things they've done and do since my younger sibling is about their age (the older ones anyway). And I know I wouldn't want my children to look up to them and be like them. And I'm the type of person to not put judgement on people and I also believe in second chances.

So I'm in two states on whether to let my 12 year old do it! I know he wants to go to the training but there is a lot going through my head about the crowd who have very little consideration for the public as to whether or not they are appropriate role models for him! I know some are fine but others are not!

^sexist much? Boys? I ken a couple of the lasses and at least 1 of them uses this forum.

Isn't it a pity so many forget what it was to be young, I'm sure it'd be far better all these young folk were out of sight drinking alcohol and taking drugs.

I'm sure the car user had a perfectly valid reason to be going into a pedestrian zone.

I know the worries about having a small child around active teens, used to worry about mine when she was little and the skateboarders by the main bus stop in Aberdeen. But the lads knew teaching the little kids about skateboards brought "brownie" points from the lasses, she even ended up in some skateboarding video at age 3.

I'm not trying to defend anything dangerous to others, but really, you'd think that half the regular posters here had been born OAPs

totally agree. would you prefer that they hung around causing trouble. these young folks are getting excise (such a nasty word) are they any more dangerous than joggers.

obviously they need to think were they do it but come on they are not the evil dead wanting to destroy shetland.

I would be very happy if my son turned out like the older parkour lads. They are brilliant with the younger ones and very fit.

Please let them get on with a sport which they are passionate about or would you rather they were couch potatoes all weekend.

Not sexist. I have seen some girls do it, but when I saw the incidents then it was boys. And most of the older ones that teach or help out with Parkour are boys.

I don't forget what it's like to be young... I do remember, and I never said what they were doing was wrong, I just don't appreciate it in big public areas. And I do know that one of the boys, (*** Mod - redacted ***), he doesn't drink (or at least he never when my sibling was at school with him) which is GREAT to show the younger ones not to do it and be able to have fun.

Going around the cross to turn isn't a pedestrian zone if you have a disability badge like the driver had...

I am sorry if you think I am an OAP by worrying about the safety for my child...

And I did say I agree on what they're doing and how great it that this sport is being shown instead of football, rugby, badminton or that.

And yeah certainly some joggers are a right pain not moving off the road etc...

But I don't think the Parkour lot are out to destroy Shetland. I just feel that if that did it in a less open place. Like I did say Hjaltland Housing was a fine area they used, people could still see their talents but not be in the way.

I never said they were all bad I just know that a few of them aren't people I would want my son to be around.

I don't believe in letting my kids sit in. My son has an xbox which he's only allowed on at weekends for an hour, so he has to spread that from Friday-Sunday. And usually he's out doing sports like basketball, football and even rock climbing.