Shetland Parkour Experience

ShetlandYouth

Thats the 6th post from you that I've read Bubble Bear. Great to see someone with a positive opinion on a thread thats been dogged by the narrow minded golden oldies that canna be arsed to get aff dir arses to go along and see how good this event has been.

PS Loved your first thread, no idea why that got locked by the way!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the 6th post from you that I've read Bubble Bear. Great to see someone with a positive opinion on a thread thats been dogged by the narrow minded golden oldies that canna be arsed to get aff dir arses to go along and see how good this event has been.

PS Loved your first thread, no idea why that got locked by the way!

What is positive is that during their induction session, those participating were told that if anyone complained, they were told to move on quietly. They were also taught to risk assess and as I understand it, not just for their own safety but for others too and not to cause damage (albeit my point about long term damage remains). They were also told not to eat loads of sweets and chocolates, together with the importance of healthy eating. Environmental Health sponsored the event to the sum of £1,000 and explained to me the reasons why they did. EH also confirmed that it is not aimed at 'youngsters'; indeed, apparently older participants are welcomed as apparently we can be a good influence on teenagers during such a difficult time in their lives - and if you read back, one of the organisers confirmed it wasn't just for youngsters.

So if you are classing me as a narrow minded golden oldie, I couldn't get off my ass to find out more about the event due to work constraints and other reasons for being unable to get into Lerwick (I'm not in the habit of doing several 50 mile round trips to town on a frequent basis); I could, however, be arsed to pick up the phone and find out more.

This 'golden oldie' also said she hoped the event would be a success but remains concerned as to how those participating in such a hobby will behave outside of organised events.

Wanders off to find a large bar of totally unhealthy chocolate to scoff. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

unlink they do that every time they go out. if it helps the youth/ old aged pensioners have a safe and healthy hobby that gets them out and about; I am happy that it was a well spent £1000. thou seeing my son vault oner a 4 ft field gate with a good foot spare is annoying for those that would struggle to clear 6 inches.

they also teach them to warm up and prepare for the excise. Think of it as street gymnastics it will seem better for those of the older grumpier mind.

Eat MORE chocolate, just the 70% stuff mind, it is known to cheer up a person.

One couldn't (Edit - oops!) possibly do that, SP; after all, it would be going against the advice of our beloved Environmental Health Department ...

... on second thoughts ...

Ghostie, I've run outta Green & Black's dark chocolate and my emergency supply of el cheapo choc n bloc lollies from Grotescos have disappeared too ... where's ya secret stash? :wink:

Hi i just want to say thank you to the weekend long parkour event

My son attend this event and enjoyed every min of it even if he was sore and tired he loved it .

And he did not brake one bone or hurt himself in any way it was all carried out very safely .

I hope this event is run again ,my son does parkour trainning all the time and i am glad he has this as it keep him and other out of bother or hanging around smokeing or drinking in corners .

Cheers again guys and thanks from a mum who thinks its great .

Eat MORE chocolate, just the 70% stuff mind, it is known to cheer up a person.

One couldn't (Edit - oops!) possibly do that, SP; after all, it would be going against the advice of our beloved Environmental Health Department ...

The greenhouse gas comes from the burp, just don't burp.

On the topic (hazel nut in every bite (squirrel sh--))

It sounds as if it was a great success. That has made me happy.

I hope it continues.

given the amount of cuts the SIC are enforcing, I'm somewhat puzzled as to why Environmental Health can sponsor this event yet no longer provide dog poo bags and I, for one, will be seeking to ascertain precisely how much money SIC did contribute to the event.

The SIC used to provide dog poo bags free? I'm outraged! :wink: This is clearly an abuse of public funds in an attempt to gain favour, and votes, of dog owners :!:

given the amount of cuts the SIC are enforcing, I'm somewhat puzzled as to why Environmental Health can sponsor this event yet no longer provide dog poo bags and I, for one, will be seeking to ascertain precisely how much money SIC did contribute to the event.

The SIC used to provide dog poo bags free? I'm outraged! :wink: This is clearly an abuse of public funds in an attempt to gain favour, and votes, of dog owners :!:

I believe they provided a pack every so often to dog owners if they went to get them. It was to stop the need for them having to be cleaned up by 'street cleaners' but it didnt really do the trick the place still got covered in doggy doo doo. I dont think it actually cost the council THAT much to provide them. (they had always 'run out' or were 'just waiting for some to arrive' when I went in.

I have never had a problem in buying some lovely scented bags and picking up my dogs poop. (sorry gone a bit off topic)

I dont mind the kids doing their events etc and being sponsored to do it. But with in reason. I have heard that they are trying to do their own fundraising too? which any club that tried to fun as much as possible by themselves gets my vote.

sorry no, I imagine it'll be in the school's booklet

to quote the email from the school

“Shetland is going to be a fantastic place to be for young people this Summer break. From early years gymnastics and Get Wet Adventures, to Euro 2012 Soccer Schools and Youth Dance Camps, Nature Festivals and Museum workshops there are activities taking place every week of the holidays to keep youngsters busy and entertained. We are going green this year and will not be producing leaflets for every child. Instead, the information will appear on our websites and there will be an 8-page pull out feature with a full list of activities appearing in the Shetland Times on Friday 22 June. You will also be able to access a digital summer booklet via http://www.shetland-times.co.uk from the 22 June and bookings will be open from this day.

So follow the Shetland Times for updates on Twitter, Facebook and http://www.shetland-times.co.uk and look out for your copy of the paper on Friday 22 June to access all your summer activities.â€