NorthLink lose ferry contract

suuusssiiieee

OK, all we ever hear on here is how bad the service is.

..snip....... "I remember going to Aberdeen in a sixareen - much more comfortable"......blah...blah....blah.....

I've never had a problem with it at all. I reckon I must be the only person up here who just gets on the ferry at one end and gets off at the other without having some huge emotional and physical personal crisis thrust upon them by a sadistic combination of Neptune and Northlink.

I have never had a problem either. It has always been a +ve experience, helpful staff and have always made the journey. Although the P&O boats made it most of the time, my memories are that it was always a moving experience for some. I enjoy the rough weather, and Northlink have never failed me in experiencing it.

The only time I got a cabin was when I was already ill and wanted that little extra comfort.

I wonder who will pay if more folk started to get hurt to satisfy the few here moaning. Cannot be very nice when you have to strap your children in a bunk for fear of serious injury. That will put them off for life!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scorrie, NorthLink weren't the worst but they weren't the best either.

From the start it was noticed that during bad weather they would often miss two sailings unnecessarily just to keep the ships/crews on their monthly schedule while P&O would sail the minute the wind/sea started to abate.

The former meant that it was the seafood industry and other exporters who had to re-arrange their plans and distribution.

I'm not saying NorthLink deserved to be kicked out, but I do think they had become a little complacent.

The ships are very uncomfortable for the simple fact that there are so few places/chairs in which to relax/rest. If the ship is busy and you don't find a place in one of the few areas to sit down or relax(incl the bar area) then you're stuffed and will find yourself on your feet wandering aimlessly back and forth and assuming you do have a cabin who wants to spend 12-14hrs locked up in a cabin?.

Based on what I've seen and read since Thursday I have an uneasy feeling about Serco.

Oh, and why do you keep saying "up here"?. It doesn't make sense.....

I reckon I must be the only person up here who just gets on the ferry at one end and gets off at the other without having some huge emotional and physical personal crisis thrust upon them by a sadistic combination of Neptune and Northlink.

They just don't bother post about it on Shetlank.

P&O did not sail every day, though I remember they would sail up the next day.

I have never lost any of my time in Shetland with Northlink. Only if I had the breakfast. :wink:

the did for many years from i think the mid 80s the had the st clair every 2nd day and the suniva the other days which when to orkney too

I have only known Northlink so I cannot compare with any previous operators.

What I do like about Northlink is that you can change your travel dates with no charge. Great for when you find the date you have booked is set for heavy seas!

I hope they don't change that, would be a nightmare if a change incurred a £20 admin fee.

that was the same with P&O too, i hope they keep it too, some people might change their mind depending on the weather conditions and how they cope with them

I miss the Orkney bit, we used to get off with the children and explore a little.

I think there were days in the schedule where there was not a sailing though.

It has been mentioned about prices before, as the SGOV seem to pay, would it be right for the rest of the country to pay even more to cheapen the passage. Looking at the released news in the past, higher than national average wages, one of the better off councils and better than average social care how would it go down nationally if there were huge subsidies paid to allow folk to pop down to Aberdeen for shopping at the expense of others facing what appears more harmful cuts. I guess the media would have a field day.

Scorrie, NorthLink weren't the worst but they weren't the best either.

From the start it was noticed that during bad weather they would often miss two sailings unnecessarily just to keep the ships/crews on their monthly schedule while P&O would sail the minute the wind/sea started to abate.

The former meant that it was the seafood industry and other exporters who had to re-arrange their plans and distribution.

I'm not saying NorthLink deserved to be kicked out, but I do think they had become a little complacent.

The ships are very uncomfortable for the simple fact that there are so few places/chairs in which to relax/rest. If the ship is busy and you don't find a place in one of the few areas to sit down or relax(incl the bar area) then you're stuffed and will find yourself on your feet wandering aimlessly back and forth and assuming you do have a cabin who wants to spend 12-14hrs locked up in a cabin?.

Based on what I've seen and read since Thursday I have an uneasy feeling about Serco.

Oh, and why do you keep saying "up here"?. It doesn't make sense.....

What about the recliners? Every time I've used them there's been most of them empty around me.

As for the 'up here' comment: Nice try, Kavi, but you're too obvious :wink:

I miss the Orkney bit, we used to get off with the children and explore a little.

I think there were days in the schedule where there was not a sailing though.

It has been mentioned about prices before, as the SGOV seem to pay, would it be right for the rest of the country to pay even more to cheapen the passage. Looking at the released news in the past, higher than national average wages, one of the better off councils and better than average social care how would it go down nationally if there were huge subsidies paid to allow folk to pop down to Aberdeen for shopping at the expense of others facing what appears more harmful cuts. I guess the media would have a field day.

You could say the same about the motorways in the south of England, or the trains all over the country and they are subsidied to the hilt what benifit do we get for train subsidies?? its all swings and roundabouts, you pay wir boats we pay your trains

An argument could be you are expecting more folk to pay to provide you with a service than the amount of folk there contributing to what happens south.

Alas, if it were not for the roads, how would you get off the ferry and drive about?

I agree that the cost of cabins can seem high, I use the ferry because it does not limit me as much as air travel. I cannot bring my bike, so cost would be incurred hiring one, but adds money to the community. I normally have 3 or four bags, one of my trip I had 5 bags (a trumpet for donation). I brought back a didge. sadly, still unable to play fully.

Flying would cost about 4 times what I pay. I would have had to post any additional items because of the punitive costs added to flying.

I would then think about who are you subsidising. I think I am right in thinking that pensioners in Shetland get 4 free passages (2 round trips) regardless of income. No problem with that really, but should businesses be subsidised to the same level? Don't know. There is as well the discount on the fare as an inhabitant.

I would guess the definition of lifeline service may change soon. To meet costs.

Should the service be offer as a free perk of living on an island? It would mean that under the current funding system, the visitor would be expected to fund the shopping trips and holidays you may want to take.

So, what you are really in need of is the whole thing to be funded by SGOV, of course all the rest of the Scottish Ferries would need the same level of funding, we would need to be fair.

I have often wondered why there is not just a foot passenger only service offered. Would there be enough money in it?

Perhaps the new pricing scheme may make cabins cheaper if booked in advance. We wait and see.