NorthLink lose ferry contract

suuusssiiieee

thats true the have always been very nice to me. however im sorry to strike would cause serious damage to the northern isles. maybe if you strike they will replace you with third world crew. to threaten strike action before talks have failed or the members have been balloted is premature

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you not? I do not think the crew would be replaced by anyone really. You may not know the true extent of the crew and their heritage.

Can see the meeting now, if you do not treat us right we will go away and have a meeting. Folk here forget that the crew and staff have also had to cope with a threat in conditions and other work related issues. I take it everyone here would be happy to take such a hit, if it was required without protest. My ring you would, you complain because you are not getting dog turd bags. In all, I feel many who comment may prove themselves quite shallow. If you want a 2nd class service, carry on.

I have always greeted P & O/Northlink staff with a smile as indeed I have greeted British Airways/Business Air/Flybe staff and staff everywhere. Just want you to think that your industrial action might hurt your customers more than it hurts Serco.

I do realise that it may hurt customers more than Serco,but a line has to be drawn in the sand sometime. What would the people of Shetland and Orkney do if they were put down to one boat a week ( a bit of an extreme example I know) they wouldnt sit and let it happen would they,no they'd create a fuss.

We only have to July the 5th to get something done about this,as that's the date they stop contributing to the pension.

Here's something else for you to ponder. With the reduction in freight service there will be more " time sensitive freight" I take it they are talking about salmon,fish etc, carried on the passenger ships , so as well as packing your shoes and slippers ,a pair of wellies won't go amiss as you walk through all the fish breer on the car deck,oh and a peg for your nose for the smell. One last thing more freight on the passenger boats means more lower hold,even on the direct run...and boy do I know how punters just love going down there....Happy days!!!!

thats true the have always been very nice to me. however im sorry to strike would cause serious damage to the northern isles. maybe if you strike they will replace you with third world crew. to threaten strike action before talks have failed or the members have been balloted is premature

Careful, paulb, not all staff working onboard at present reside in Shetland, Orkney or Mainland Scotland at present. Some travel from wayyyyy further afield to start their shifts in Aberdeen.

It's pretty common for a trade union to state that they are balloting members about strike action when talks have failed which, on the face of it, is precisely what has happened here.

Well chookyargyll you are of course entitled to interpret my first posting as you wish although I note you have not made any comment about my second one concerning Serco. But what I object to is the usual action of Crow and the RMT in holding strike ballots before exhausting all other means of negotiation. This is going back to the bad old days of industrial relations where the strike was used as a weapon of first resort........not that Crow has ever left the bad old days.

If, as I understand what you are saying, Serco are not going to honour pensions that presumably started with P & O and continued with Northlink then that is possibly wrong. Please note that I only say possibly because of the situation with pensions generally. But there are two things to consider. First off are you just in the same position as all the other people who are having their pensions reduced and is this simply because of things like long term low interest rates and secondly was the Scottish Government negligent in not ensuring that your pensions were protected.

Anyway I still think that it is too soon to talk about strikes even as a last resort. For a start I am sure some unions take any sort of yes in a ballot as grounds to strike at once and I am convinced that even holding the ballot will hurt Shetland and indeed traffic flows on Northlink.

Not sure about the subsidy. Somehow doubt the figure considering that I can get a return flight to Aberdeen for half the quoted subsidy per person.

This is more than " possibly".We have been paying into our pensions long before our P&O days, in fact since the day we turned 18 years old irrespective of the company we worked for.This has ALWAYS been the case then serco turn round and tell us your pension has been frozen,now start again with our piss poor company policy and if you do not like it, goodbye. P.S. you are doing us a favour by leaving as we were making you redundant anyway.Would this be acceptable to you? I think not. You want to extract your head from your derrierre before you start making ill informed statements when we are trying to protect what we have worked for and have a legal right to protect what we have.

In no way are we trying to alienate the people of shetland. We are fully aware of all the implications regarding the timing of serco's actions, and will strive to sort out this Government led mess amicably. Where is that soundbite led "Lavish" Tavish ? I would have thought this mess would have him shouting and screaming to the sheltie times ?

As for the subsidy, do what we have done and ask the scottish government for a break down per person carried, aberdeen-shetland and aberdeen-hatston,asking for subsidy per head on each route

Why would you not? I do not think the crew would be replaced by anyone really. You may not know the true extent of the crew and their heritage.

Can see the meeting now, if you do not treat us right we will go away and have a meeting. Folk here forget that the crew and staff have also had to cope with a threat in conditions and other work related issues. I take it everyone here would be happy to take such a hit, if it was required without protest. My ring you would, you complain because you are not getting dog turd bags. In all, I feel many who comment may prove themselves quite shallow. If you want a 2nd class service, carry on.

Couldn't put it better myself !!!

Thankyou

@chookyargyll - Do remember most of this is news to the general public. As you have probably expected Serco have had the run of the media for the most part with thier PR.

I think its safe to say that all details known, most reasonable people will be on your side, and hopefully some sense can be brought to the situation before too serious an action is required.

Someone has to be called to task for placing you in such a situation.

Good old nationalisation, how to completely wreck anything remotely functional.

IMHO the only reason Edinburgh gave it to Serco is that as there were other serious bidders this time, they figured they'd be chancing their luck to award the contract to themselves yet again.

The subsidy is paying for what Orkney and Shetland cannot afford and doesn't really need. Far better the Government stayed out of the specs and contracts department, let a commercial operator take on the route, then subsidised the elements of it that were justifiable. ie. those things which gave the isles a level playing field with the mainland and essential passenger travel, as it is its a shuttle bus for shopping trips etc, and costing a scary amount in tax dollars to be one.

Chookyargyll and ruidh:

Firstly, I'm sorry you get abuse from islanders during the course of your job. You do a difficult enough job as it is and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Secondly, you'll probably have the support of many Islanders. You certainly have mine.

Thirdly, disruption to the Island services will be the best way of getting Serco to listen, as disgruntled customers will make them listen far more than disgruntled staff.

The whole pensions debacle amounts to nothing more than theft as far as I'm concerned. Fight for what is yours!

Chookyargyll and ruidh:

Firstly, I'm sorry you get abuse from islanders during the course of your job. You do a difficult enough job as it is and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Secondly, you'll probably have the support of many Islanders. You certainly have mine.

Thirdly, disruption to the Island services will be the best way of getting Serco to listen, as disgruntled customers will make them listen far more than disgruntled staff.

The whole pensions debacle amounts to nothing more than theft as far as I'm concerned. Fight for what is yours!

Thank you,your comment is much appreciated.

You do a difficult enough job as it is and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

I use the boats 3/4 times per year and have always found the crew to be pleasant and courteous. Never abused them and, more to the point, have never seen anyone else abuse them. Probably tourists...

ditto.

Agreed.

Serco aren't doing this out of any sense of altruism. They are in it for the money and, like all big companies, every penny shaved off their 'expenses' means more profit.

Funny how you can never find a politician when you need one....

You do a difficult enough job as it is and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

I use the boats 3/4 times per year and have always found the crew to be pleasant and courteous. Never abused them and, more to the point, have never seen anyone else abuse them. Probably tourists...

ditto.

Thirdly, disruption to the Island services will be the best way of getting Serco to listen, as disgruntled customers will make them listen far more than

Agreed.

Serco aren't doing this out of any sense of altruism. They are in it for the money and, like all big companies, every penny shaved off their 'expenses' means more profit.

Funny how you can never find a politician when you need one....

Thank you for your support.

Many people have paid into this pension fund for years for their retirement.

It makes you laugh that on one had Goverment tells us to plan for the future, which we were doing,now along comes Serco and says nope we ain't playing ball on this one,( awarded the contract by Goverment).

Serco do have their own pension scheme ( some new law has,or is,coming into force ,where you are automatically enrolled ,you have to tell your employer you wish to opt out.)So say you join up,and 6 years down the line Serco loose the Contract,new company takes over with their own scheme,you have to start afresh...then another six years someone else takes over.,and so on and on...

In this situation where a new employer could be in place every six years it should be part of the Terms and conditions that existing pension should be honoured otherwise you could end up with multiple pension which have only run for six years and aren't worth sod all,as they haven't run a long enough term.

Politicians Colin?......try here http://www.orcadian.co.uk/2012/06/msps-write-to-minister-about-possible-northlink-strike/.

Must admit that I have always found the ferry crews to be at worst polite even at the end of a long shift. And I have nothing against them being worried about their pensions and other rights when Serco take over. What I am against is the RMT calling for a strike ballot long before negotiations with Serco have finished. Wonder how many potential tourists have decided to go somewhere else already.

@chookyargyll - Do remember most of this is news to the general public. As you have probably expected Serco have had the run of the media for the most part with thier PR.

I think its safe to say that all details known, most reasonable people will be on your side, and hopefully some sense can be brought to the situation before too serious an action is required.

Someone has to be called to task for placing you in such a situation.

I totally agree with your post. I was riled when certain members chose to make ludicras ill informed statements when they knew sod all of the dynamics of the situation. Saying that we should be sacked for trying to protect our,and our familys future is really a massive slur on people who try to provide a service in sometimes trying circumstances[ie the weather!]We hope to get the people of Orkney and Shetland on side to place this service company under pressure without resorting to strike action which in reality benefits no-one. Please do not underestimate the depth and strength of feeling regarding our pension rights and proposed redundancys which is purely finance driven. We WILL take whatever action is necessary,but hope it will not come to that.