BT internet off again!!!! what are the alternatives?

lutrawest

I'm sick of BT! internet wouldn't work here (yesterday) on the westside and when I rang to report the fault got an automated message saying that they were aware of the fault and it would take at least 19 hours to fix!!!!

Rubbish service! Also daft price for phone & internet from BT.

Anyone know of any good reliable alternatives on the Westside?

Also for TV - SKY service cries off each time it rains/blows out here!

Do Virgin offer a service here?

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think it matters who your ISP is, they all piggy bank the line into Shetland which is BT's, I think I'm right with that.

Mine has been gradually getting worse the last 9/10 days then yesterday it pretty much cut out alltogether. Seemed to work fine this morning at 7am then when I came back at dinner time it was F***ed again and it will go on all night.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2099126863.png

RAGING!!!! :evil:

...it would take at least 19 hours to fix!!!!

Well at least someone at BT has checked the weather forecast :roll:

As for your sky signal, maybe your dish isn't perfectly aligned? Also, the cheap dishes that sky supply only last a couple of years before they rust to nothing. A bigger dish, especially in marginal areas of the satellite coverage like Shetland, will be more reliable with the weather-related problems.

I am seriously considering the option of dumping phone-line broadband in favour of the satellite system up here. The promise of the fibre coming anywhere near me is years away.

Thanks folks for the replys.

I will look into satellite - anyone used/using this already? It would be useful to hear about experiences.

Satellite is more reliable (in theory) than using BT for your internet access. But it's not quick and your upload will be staggeringly terrible due to latency.

To be honest, the BT solution is the best we're going to get until they (or someone else) finally starts to provide fibre connections to residential properties.

The other thing to look out for with Tooway, the main residential satellite provider, is the download limits. You may think you're okay as they always quote how many tunes/videos you can download but sites like Facebook and especially eBay, are absolute killers on your download limits. At the moment (or last time I looked), Tooway were doing a special offer on their basic residential and had upped the download limit for around £25 per month (not including the receiver/equipment).

I'd jump to Tooway like a shot but as a small business user, to get the equivalent download limit I have with BT I'd be paying £80 per month but hope to jump from the sinking BT ship as soon as I can.

Thanks folks for the replys.

I will look into satellite - anyone used/using this already? It would be useful to hear about experiences.

Satellite is more reliable (in theory) than using BT for your internet access. But it's not quick and your upload will be staggeringly terrible due to latency.

Latency on satellite is abot 300ms which is substantially faster than many have had on their ADSL connection for the last few days. It can also do 18Mbps down and 6Mbps up which is a hell of a lot faster than ADSL.

Tooway webby says 600-650ms I think?

Marvin was on a one-way ticket ?

300 ms up to satellite plus 300 ms down to ground station.

You then have to add any terrestial path time. So, if the ground station is in Europe, and you are accessing a USA server you need to add another 100 ms. Connection to New Zealand could be in the 8-900 ms round trip range.

Marvin was on a one-way ticket ?

Yes, sorry... I was dredging information from memory and didn't check it.

The last salesperson I had on swore blind that skype and VOIP worked well on satellite. NCDC have just had a system installed and the last time i checked they were very happy with it. I'll maybe give them a call and see if it's still all ok and report back.

I think it's really a case of if all else fails then satellite really is good option. It certainly seems better than ADSL as long as you re not playing games or shifting huge amounts of data.

That is an unfair comment to make. Yes, a mistake was made, but quickly corrected.

You know the saying – the person that never made a mistake never made anything.

Keep up the good work Marvin.

Completely agree, I'm sure Marvin doesn't have to take time out of his day to post on here then get sh*t like that fired at him. I for one appreciate you keeping us up to speed with the constant changes Marvin, unfortunately you can't keep all the idiots and anonymous keyboard warriors happy :wink: