excellent service

caddylamb

^^ I think you may be missing the point.

They are repair agents for several well known manufacturers so even if someone didn't purchase an item from them, no doubt they get paid for repairing an item which is under warranty/guarantee:-

"At George Robertson Ltd our friendly team of local, experienced and factory-trained engineers provide the highest levels of service and cover a full range of appliances.

This means a full repair service for all your home appliances covering washing machines, cookers, ovens, hobs, fridges, freezers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners and home-entertainment.

George Robertson Ltd is an official repair agent for the following brands ..."

http://www.grdirect.co.uk/generic/website.asp?page=content&contentCode=1060

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small shop will and should prioritise its customers, not those who ship in an appliance from Argos then run to them when it breaks down. We need to look at value in the round when we buy, and it is time we realised that if we don't use local shops, we lose them and all the extra value that goes with them. If GRs choose to fix appliances they haven't sold, that is fine, but I don't think they need be held to account by tedious chancers moaning about their consumer rights.

A small shop will and should prioritise its customers, not those who ship in an appliance from Argos then run to them when it breaks down. We need to look at value in the round when we buy, and it is time we realised that if we don't use local shops, we lose them and all the extra value that goes with them. If GRs choose to fix appliances they haven't sold, that is fine, but I don't think they need be held to account by tedious chancers moaning about their consumer rights.

That's a tad harsh! So, when I moved up here I brought my old washing machine with me, a Bosch, less than two years old. It broke down. Under the guarantee, GRs were the repairing agents. Granted, it took time to get it sorted (had to wait for parts, that much I can totally understand) but had they refused to repair it because I didn't purchase it from them, I would not be happy. Have you not considered that they might not sell and/or be unwilling to get in a particular make/model and that us "tedious chancers" might go elsewhere? However, is it not the case that such purchases are also influenced by being armed with the knowledge that there are local repair agents? Is it not the case that such repair contracts do make up a significant proportion of a local shop's income? If an item isn't under warranty/guarantee then yes, it is a different matter.

Ah yes, consumer choice. I wanted winter tyres last year. I telephoned a well known local establishment. I had several makes in mind. I wasn't happy when I was told that I would have to make do with whatever they got in, which would be Chinese tyres. No thanks.

However, this thread is about excellent service. I'd like to portray my thanks to the excellent and ongoing service I'm currently receiving from Miller Opticians. I'd also like to thank Patient Transport at GBH for organising my flight to Aberdeen so swiftly and efficiently for my forthcoming appointment.

Nail on the head there!

Again a positive thread turned negative by some of the p.i.s.h talkers on here :evil:

If you buy a piece of electrical equipment from anyone but GR's and it breaks after the warranty has ended then absolutley GR's should refuse to have anything to do with it, whether it's a brand they sell or not.

If it's within warranty I SUSPECT they would have a contractural obligation to fix an item.

I'm sure they probably have full support from the suppliers whose products they sell on what they fix and what they don't.

Some of you keyboard warriors really need to pull your heads out of your backsides and get out your houses a bit more, instead of coming on here a continually bringing down local business, especially the one's that obviously put in huge effort to please their customers. Personally I feel sorry for them, because you just can't please all the morons no matter what you do :evil:

Ps I'm away to check out that murderous revolving door at Mareel tonight :wink:

It seems to me that there's a theme developing on Shetlink. Yes there's a few folk who maybe have a tendancy for negativity, but then there are others who regularly take things to another level of negativity by aggressively pointing that out. A negative plus a negative may make a positive, but negativity plus negativity does not make positivity.

Personally, I have nothing but praise for the service at Geordie Robertsons. Very competative prices and freindly knowledgable staff.

In fact, I find that most retail staff are freindly and helpful if you're freindly to them. It's human nature. From my experience, folk I know who complain about unfreindly staff tend to be on somewhere on the unfreindly scale themselves!

Again a positive thread turned negative by some of the p.i.s.h talkers on here :evil:

If you buy a piece of electrical equipment from anyone but GR's and it breaks after the warranty has ended then absolutley GR's should refuse to have anything to do with it, whether it's a brand they sell or not.

If it's within warranty I SUSPECT they would have a contractural obligation to fix an item.

I'm sure they probably have full support from the suppliers whose products they sell on what they fix and what they don't.

Some of you keyboard warriors really need to pull your heads out of your backsides and get out your houses a bit more, instead of coming on here a continually bringing down local business, especially the one's that obviously put in huge effort to please their customers. Personally I feel sorry for them, because you just can't please all the morons no matter what you do :evil:

Ps I'm away to check out that murderous revolving door at Mareel tonight :wink:

I agree, keyboard warriors, of which I assume you are one, really do need to get out more - perhaps to the local opticians whom I praised on this very thread? Perhaps then you would have noticed that I copied from GR's website. I never said GR should repair goods that weren't covered by warranty.

How you can read negativity there beats me when I, for one, praised at least one local service. Still, wouldn't be Shetlink without peeps failing to notice such positivity now would it? :wink:

Don't be so self-obsessed unliked, i wasn't refering to your post.

Yeah right, whatever.

So, for the sake of clarity then, you're having a pop at another poster who just happens to believe in exercising their consumer rights then? Are you suggesting that Shetlanders don't deserve to have excellent service or, for that matter, that consumer rights shouldn't and don't apply here? Are we now living in a throwaway society whereby if an item needs repairing and it isn't under warranty, that nobody should be available to repair it simply because we live in Shetland?

Yeah right, whatever.

So, for the sake of clarity then, you're having a pop at another poster who just happens to believe in exercising their consumer rights then? Are you suggesting that Shetlanders don't deserve to have excellent service or, for that matter, that consumer rights shouldn't and don't apply here? Are we now living in a throwaway society whereby if an item needs repairing and it isn't under warranty, that nobody should be available to repair it simply because we live in Shetland?

I think you will find that is the case most places.

Anything that originally cost less than £100 is not worth repairing / cheaper to replace.

Consumer rights I am all for but do retailers have no say in how they run THEIR business???

I'd imagine they have sleepless nights worrying about the current economic climate, how they can squeeze their marjins to compete with internet sales, worry about theirs/staffs next paycheck, then, somebody walks into their shop with a broken item, bought elsewhere(internet), more than likely for cheaper, its out of warranty and they excpect them to fix it because they sell that brand!!!!! I don't think so!!! Why not send it back to where it was purchased?!

Can you not imagine building up a business with your blood, sweat and tears for someone to do that!?!? I know how I'd feel.

I'm not suggesting Shetlanders don't deserve excellent service, you read into my post however you like. It just seems that people here(Shetlink) excpect the world to drop at their feet and by god if it doesn't then lets get on the forum and get those fingers going ten to the dozen :wink:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah right, whatever.

I think you will find that is the case most places.

Anything that originally cost less than £100 is not worth repairing / cheaper to replace.

Correct!!!

It's more like "less than £500..." :(

Just had the bearings on my washing machine collapse, about 2 months out of warranty (how do they manage that?) but discovered that it was a relatively simple procedure to replace them - allegedly they are Fiesta wheel bearings! - for £20 and even found a youtube video of how to do it, performed on an almost identical machine. Hurrah!

All good, except the "almost" part... Having dismantled the machine I discover to my dismay that the drum is glue-welded together, and not secured with bolts as in the video. So a £160+ replacement versus £20 repair.

Is it any wonder nothing is affordably repairable nowadays? GR's most likely decline to repair stuff they didn't sell as their labour charges on top of parts will likely come to more than a brand new unit. Welcome to the throwaway society :(