A sad tale of Shetland

voicebox

Do you think the North Isles should all pull together?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the North Isles should all pull together?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my word!!

There is a lot of 'assuming and maybes'. I did not say that someone was not doing their job.

I also didn't say we should not be talking to the SIC.

I was simply asking if all the North Isles Community Councils get together and discuss important issues that affect all three isles?

If there was a meeting held by all three islands and then they, as a group, not as individual islands talk to the SIC (when required) it would be a better, a more united front.

Apparently, I am now dividing people!!

Geez, what a waste of time...

I shall be writing to the councils, that was always my plan.

Well, folks, now there really is nothing left to say on my behalf.

I guess it would be good if we could present a united front to the SIC on things that concern the North Isles..........like maybe Papa Stour and Skerries want to present a united front on retaining air links. Maybe there is less money but there is still some discretion within the SIC as to how they spend the money.

Of course on a North Isles front the Yell Sound ferry affects us all so there is a good place to start.

Geez, what a waste of time...

Well, folks, now there really is nothing left to say on my behalf.

Instead of being dismissive when people try to fathom out what you are trying to say, for the sake of clarity, why not actually state, in simple terms, what you are trying to achieve and what your vision(s) for the North Isles is/are instead of just going on about "united front", etc.?

Oh my word!!

There is a lot of 'assuming and maybes'. I did not say that someone was not doing their job.

I also didn't say we should not be talking to the SIC.

I was simply asking if all the North Isles Community Councils get together and discuss important issues that affect all three isles?

If there was a meeting held by all three islands and then they, as a group, not as individual islands talk to the SIC (when required) it would be a better, a more united front.

If your original post had included the bold from the quote, you might have gotten a far more productive response.

If there are "assumptions" and "maybes" occuring, its because folk were trying to second guess (and very likely getting it wrong) what you were talking about. You're not helping yourself that it takes three pages on here before you get around to explaining your point. KISS as some of my old school teachers were wont to oft repeat.

In reply to your point, I still say the North Isles Councillors are your best and first point of call, they are charged with equal responsibility for all of the isles, and were elected solely by residents there, they are your gateway and facilitators. By all means seek to form some sort of north isles group to work alongside and liase with Community Councils, and be an additional link between the various communities and the Councillors, but only after first examining and ensuring that it would be complimentary to what already exists, not in competition.

There's nothing stopping Community Councils to talk with each other, and (AFAIK) holding combined meetings. Using the existing Community Council infrastructue and the fact Councilllors are ex-officio CC members anyway should be utilised to its max as a first line of attack. Additional organisations will just complicate and divide any impetus and message, unless they're precisely targeted on areas outwith CC and/or Councillor remit and any specific area where a concensus and action plan simple cannot be agreed at combined CC level.

I've been doing some digging on this subject and came upon this document

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/community_planning_dev/documents/ComProfile20Dec10.pdf

This lead me to to look at this

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/communityplanning/local_services_delivery_group.asp

In Shetland we are working towards planning and delivering services more locally. Shetland doesn't have a large population, but we are dispersed throughout the islands, and no one place or community is the same as another. So it makes sense if people living and working in the areas are more able to influence the way services operate, rather than using a one-size-fits-all approach from Lerwick.

We are developing a unique approach, where Councillors and Community Council Chairs, as representatives of their local community, are coming together with those delivering services at a local level to discuss issues and plan for a sustainable and good quality of life for their communities.

Unfortunately the trail runs cold at this point. The North Isles Group page is blank but I know some of the groups are active. I would suggest contacting either your own community council or councillors if they have any further information.

^ Excellent referencing, as ever, from you MJ.

The OP may well also be interested in some of the articles within the Fetlar newsletter (The development company are looking for peeps):

http://www.fetlar.org/assets/files/newsletters/fetlar-newsletter-sept%202012.pdf

"Fetlar Developments Ltd - membership

There is no charge for membership of FDL, which is open to anyone resident on Fetlar. By joining you will be showing your support for the work of FDL in developing Fetlar. We are also seeking members who are willing to stand as Directors.

Forms and Further information are available from the

Development Office, If not included with this newsletter."

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/community_planning_dev/documents/ComProfile20Dec10.pdf

<....Snipz...>

What became of the Association of Community Councils? SIBC used to advertise their annual shindig heavily every year, but not heard it mentioned for the last few. Maybe I just missed it though.

I don't know what exactly their remit is/was, but I would presume by their name that they could possibly be of some use acting as a central co-ordinators for issues that involve more than one/several CC's.

<....Snipz...>

What became of the Association of Community Councils? SIBC used to advertise their annual shindig heavily every year, but not heard it mentioned for the last few. Maybe I just missed it though.

I don't know what exactly their remit is/was, but I would presume by their name that they could possibly be of some use acting as a central co-ordinators for issues that involve more than one/several CC's.

The Scottish Association of Community Councils has been wound up.

I beleive the SIC used have a Seminar / Course type of gathering once a year to give information and guidance to members on some of their legal obligations ?

Perhaps interest and / or budgets have struck here as well ?

The Association of Community Council's meeting was this morning so you have missed it. The next one is in April. I have been to it two or three times It is only for a couple of hours twice a year so there is a limit to what can get discussed. It generally is a forum for a few top SIC officials to brief community councils on major policy areas.

I would think that the Local Service Delivey Group would be a better place to start a dialogue, whenever it gets going.

^ Excellent referencing, as ever, from you MJ.

I'm going to slightly hijack this thread to point out that there IS a Shetlinker who goes under the name MJ so credit for the referencing should go to MuckleJoannie (which I'm sure was obvious to almost everyone anyway).

And back on topic...

Yep, aware of that and my intention was for the credit to go to MuckleJoannie. Given that I'd started my post with the ^ symbol, I thought it was pretty obvious.

Should I be apologising for such an act? One wishes to point out that mitigating circumstances did exist! I'm having a flare-up of uveitis and I'd just had the steroid eye drops whacked in the affected eye. Alas, this caused blurred vision for several minutes. Rather than spell MuckleJoannie incorrectly, I chose to abbreviate it.

One hopes that both MuckleJoannie and MJ will realise that I meant no offence.

One will continue to post on Shetlink and carry out my work, hopefully with due diligence, during said medical treatment (Several weeks) because unfortunately, unlike some, being self-employed I don't get sick leave and besides, Shetlink is a distraction from the discomfort.

To save yous lot googling uveitis, here's a link to a Shetland-based charity, run by Phil Hibbert:-

http://www.uveitis.net/uig/index.php

Meanwhile, actually back on topic ...

... Thanks for the info concerning the most recent annual meeting of the community councils, MuckleJoannie - I'm sure Ghostie will be pleased to hear His memory isn't going. :wink:

Yep, aware of that and my intention was for the credit to go to MuckleJoannie. Given that I'd started my post with the ^ symbol, I thought it was pretty obvious.

It was, as I pointed out.

Should I be apologising for such an act?

I wouldn't have thought so.

One hopes that both MuckleJoannie and MJ will realise that I meant no offence.

I'd expect so - they're both reasonable people.

And g'luck with the uveitis.

• 1 month later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/9335420/Crime-on-the-high-seas-committed-for-decades-by-the-EUs-Common-Fisheries-Policy.html#disqus_thread

Shetland men in the photo here, aboard da Defiant.

This is one of the greatest tragedies in the sad tale of shetland...

And yes all the shetland isles shouled be singing from the same hymn sheet on what they need ...

Apart from Foula and Papa Stour , time to make them nature reserves.

-