sic sickness

Redrobbie99

From what I hear ...

That's where I stopped giving any credence to your opinion.

Well, on this basis you can stop giving credence to 99% of what happens in Shetland.......

Aye but Kavi 99% owhit you hear in Shetland is hearsay an nonsense dats made up by fok dat has nae idea? But day usally hae an ax ta grind!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ken whit du's saying but sometimes when you see folk use da word "allegedly" it means "it's true but we can't come out and say it".....

:wink:

Back to the topic and I'm all in favour of more support for workers. We seem to live in a world/country where employers increasingly want literal blood, sweat and tears - oh, and if you dare to have a life outside of work and are not keen on working overtime then you're an infidel.....

And they wonder why the waiting rooms of health centres are choke full of people with worn and broken bodies......

Back to the topic and I'm all in favour of more support for workers. We seem to live in a world/country where employers increasingly want literal blood, sweat and tears - oh, and if you dare to have a life outside of work and are not keen on working overtime then you're an infidel.....

And they wonder why the waiting rooms of health centres are choke full of people with worn and broken bodies......

Hmmmm.

I've seen it from all three sides over the past 30-odd years. I've worked in big outfits with teams of up to 20 people working for me, done my time shovelling poop in low-paid and long hour jobs and run two businesses for myself (with one as an employer).

Personally, I'd say there's a case for more protection for employers from lazy and feckless types who extract the urine on a regular basis.

One clown who won't pull their weight means the folk around them have to carry their workload. This (IME) usually ends up with the rest of the troops becoming rather disgruntled and that's where the trouble begins if the miscreant(s) aren't stymied in the early days.

Everyone has a right to a life outside work. I definitely agree with you there. But everyone at work has a right to expect their work colleagues to act with a bit of respect for their fellow workers and not have to put up with idiots who are chronically lazy, poor timekeepers or poor attendees. Someone always has to carry these clowns and do their share of the work. And that is definitely not fair.

The whole notion of 'entitlement' to 'Sick days' is an anathema to me. I've lost track of how many times I've heard friends of mine who work in the public sector state that they have "X sick days to use" before the end of the year/whatever. Even though they are not ill.

FFS. Grrrrr....

I ken whit du's saying but sometimes when you see folk use da word "allegedly" it means "it's true but we can't come out and say it".....

:wink:

Really? what health centre is this?

They are lucky they can get an appointment :roll:

The difficulty with sickness rules is that any tightening of them is likely to unfairly impact on those who are genuinely ill. For instance if you stopped paying for the first day of illness you would no doubt reduce the hangover, duvet day crowds days off, but that could have a major impact on people in ill health.

In my experience it comes down to the constant managing of all employees sickness records, supporting those with genuine illness, identifying the slackers and dealing with them through recognised procedures. The difficulty is of course proving that someone's illness may be suspect, but the patterns usually stand out.

The worrying point is the high level of illness within the SIC and the cost of this to the council/tax payer when compared with other authorities.

Maybe the council need to appoint an officer to go through each department and look into its sickness records and management of same. This post would easily pay for itself in the short term, and hopefully reduce costs in the long term. Of course if all managers did the jobs they were paid to do, it might not be needed.

From what I hear ...

That's where I stopped giving any credence to your opinion.

Well, on this basis you can stop giving credence to 99% of what happens in Shetland.......

More sprootle Kavi.

If something happens - it happens.

I give no credence to things that you 'hear' and report your opinion thereof.

Aye, aye MiM, whatever du says. If du's determined tae fight dat's dye problem........ :roll:

I gave one side of the argument and(I'd thought it was obvious) meant it in favour of decent people/workers.

I too have often had to watch useless, lazy objects use every excuse they could find not to do certain jobs or be off sick and then be one of the good guys who ended up having pick up the pieces.

Indeed Ghostrider!!.

Rather than blame absenteeism on a bizarrely high percentage of "skivers", perhaps a closer examination of a management culture that consistently promotes incompetent or flawed managers to "get them out of the way" might be more revealing?

I suspect that certain managers may find that the stats regarding folk off on "work-related stress" seem to follow them around as they glide from department to department...

As far as I'm aware there is no process in place that examines the effectiveness of management, based on the well-being (and subsequent productivity) of their staff.

In my view, a manager that can somehow alienate an entire department to the extent that several people are medically signed off has failed profoundly in their job and, frankly, at being a decent human being.

I know ,both anecdotally and through personal experience, of a handful so-called professionals within the council who have practically forced people away from work with their relentless, passive-aggressive bullying. Address this issue head on and I'll wager this largely arbitrary £3 million number will shrink dramatically.

Kavi, the Maywick resident is quite correct, it is hearsay and nothing else.

Even if that, I could say, I heard you were a warty little fellow. What that could mean is that I actually think you are a warty little fellow, but just in case I will say I heard then it could be said it is not me, therefore, I can back out of the comment at any time. Not that I have ever thought of you as a warty little fellow, tis just an example.

Kavi, here is another argument. Punitive sickness monitoring increases production, creates a happy work medium and removes the stress and worry from working life. True? Nope, you will end up with folk coming into work, taking dangerous medications, having high temperatures, with broken limbs and other ailments that could impede the safe working practices of the employer. It could put many others at risk, say with the flu. You will still end up with other staff covering, then, being covered themselves after catching what ever illness was abound. Would this policy prevent a work place epidemic? I wonder if a pregnant woman would be happy with these working conditions.

Work practices may need to be looked at as far as monitoring sickness, but again, who then decides, would it be right say, for one medical practitioner be over ruled by a paid by the employer medical practitioner in respect of your sickness and of course, there is no conflict of interest.

There have been many local authorities who tackle this, and very well, reducing the sick rate to less than the national averages. A scheme to do this would be more beneficial.

World according to SP - nobody is responsible for their own actions.

As others have posted, the minority spoil it for the majority. Naturally, I should be blaming management instead of the ones who instigated their own bad behaviour at the expense of the hardworking ones.

Oh yeah, forgot - I've been a pregnant woman in the past working alongside someone with a cold (Note not swine flu, but a MERE cold).

Copied post from Horns O da geo has hit the nail upo da head.

Rather than blame absenteeism on a bizarrely high percentage of "skivers", perhaps a closer examination of a management culture that consistently promotes incompetent or flawed managers to "get them out of the way" might be more revealing?

I suspect that certain managers may find that the stats regarding folk off on "work-related stress" seem to follow them around as they glide from department to department...

As far as I'm aware there is no process in place that examines the effectiveness of management, based on the well-being (and subsequent productivity) of their staff.

In my view, a manager that can somehow alienate an entire department to the extent that several people are medically signed off has failed profoundly in their job and, frankly, at being a decent human being.

I know ,both anecdotally and through personal experience, of a handful so-called professionals within the council who have practically forced people away from work with their relentless, passive-aggressive bullying. Address this issue head on and I'll wager this largely arbitrary £3 million number will shrink dramatically.

This is one of the most important posts and covers several threads.

In fear that it might be lost among those who would rather "devide and conquer" / create argument, I have copied it in.

Please take note that some employees actually care about their contribution to the community and do put in time for which no remuneration of any kind can be made, perhaps more importantly as result of their devotion are viewed by some as renagades who are out of control !