What did Alistair Carmichael (Orkney & Shetland), Vote?

papastour

Jesus didn't have sex.

Not unlike countless celibate Christian priests around the world nowadays. They selflessly renounce any heterosexual activity whatsoever so they can devote themselves to Jesus who set the first example of not having heterosexual relationships to make the world a better place. A world where children can grow up healthy, strong and with a happy childhood as a solid base to to grow into even greater adults because they've been touched, often in an intimate and enthusiastic way by the spirit of the church. Indeed often through these priest's non-heterosexual activity these children have virtually no choice but to move even closer into the protective fold of the church such is the glorious power of God's earthly emissaries.

Jesus didn't have sex.

Not unlike countless celibate Christian priests around the world nowadays. They selflessly renounce any heterosexual activity whatsoever so they can devote themselves to Jesus who set the first example of not having heterosexual relationships to make the world a better place. A world where children can grow up healthy, strong and with a happy childhood as a solid base to to grow into even greater adults because they've been touched, often in an intimate and enthusiastic way by the spirit of the church. Indeed often through these priest's non-heterosexual activity these children have virtually no choice but to move even closer into the protective fold of the church such is the glorious power of God's earthly emissaries.

I am so taken aback,that i am not sure where to start....

Just because the gospels (if you believe in them) don`t mention that Jesus had sex...does not mean that he didn`t...there's not a whole lot of information covering 33 years,is there? big gaps in the narrative,i think you will find.

Let alone, the cultural context of when they were supposedly written (the earliest being 70 years after his death,I believe)

you have not read a whole lot of church history have you? try looking a what priests got up to in the past,including the heterosexuals ones....they had "house keepers"...and I am not just taking about catholic priests.

Look,wherever there is a rule,someone will break it...its human nature,and whatever "code" is put in place...it will not impact on transgressions or rule breaking.

Churches,priests,nuns...er human beings are not perfect, we make mistakes.

You cannot seriously hold the church up as some sort of "superior" model...because any one of us can give you,facts,stories and examples of all religions wrong doings...and non religious people too.

we are just people at the end of the day...but hypocrisy ...well that's another story for another day!

Why Theft is Good for Society

Think of the many police officers that have a steady job because of thieves. If there were no thieves—no purse-snatchers, pick-pockets, bank robbers, burglars, cybercrime, identity theft, Ponzi schemes, insider-trading, bribery, money laundering, credit card theft, muggings, fraud, white collar crime, etc., millions of law officers around the world would be out of a job. So would many judges, lawyers, prison officers, and those who build prisons and the architects that design the holding facilities for the millions of thieves.

Plus there’s the massive catering industry that supplies these millions with daily food, the prison uniform makers, the cleaners, the doctors and psychiatrists who attend to their every need. It is because of thieves that there are locksmiths, safe-makers, alarm systems, insurance agents, car alarms, and the huge security industry with their many security guards, crime reporters and the massive news media who daily feed off reporting theft.

Even though theft is clearly bad for any society, there could be an argument put forward by some that it is beneficial. So it may not be wise, if I wanted to speak against theft, to say that theft is bad for society. Instead, as a Christian, I would simply say that theft is morally wrong because God says it’s wrong. Case closed. This is what God’s Word says about the subject:

“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God†(1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

Similarly, I would be unwise to say that homosexuality is bad for society. This is because if it can be shown that homosexuals make good pilots, good movie producers, doctors, dentists, and good parents, they win the argument. Case closed. To be consistent, it would make sense to use the same line of reasoning regarding abortion. The killing of the unborn employs a multitude of doctors and nurses, who would adamantly argue that their industry certainly benefits society by not bringing unwanted children into the world. Rather, we speak against abortion because the Bible tells us that murder is morally wrong no matter how much money it returns, or who benefits by it.

But the real tragedy is that the dispute about the detrimental effects of homosexuality makes the cross of Jesus Christ irrelevant. If homosexuality isn’t seen to be a sin, then homosexuals won’t see their need of a Savior. On top of that, the argument makes Christians seem like a hate-group, because they don’t want homosexuals to have equal rights. If we say that homosexuality is wrong, we should do so because we want homosexuals to enter the kingdom of God. We care about them as people and where they spend eternity. We should also care about fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, thieves, the covetous, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners.

Each of these groups is in terrible danger, and they are not aware of it because they are not hearing the truth in love from the Church. But if we don’t warn them, (as prominent atheist, Penn Jillette, once said) we are truly being hateful. And if we are hated for the truth, our consolation is that we are not giving an opinion. We are simply stating what the Scriptures say, and therefore anyone who disagrees has a disagreement with the Word of God, and not with the Church

http://www.geniusthemovie.com/ John Lennon more popular than Jesus?

Gulp!

you want us to do a cost/benefit analysis of whether theft,murder,homosexuality is useful to us?.....i will get back to you.

but..for tonight,

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." ( John 13:34-35)

more love less hate...works for me!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/According_to_the_bible_do_you_go_to_hell_if_you%27re_bisexual

According to the bible do you go to hell if you're bisexual?...

It's funny really, when you think about it, but no one actually knows. Everyone has an opinion about what will or won't get them into heaven, or what will send them to hell. Radical Muslim extremist believe that if you die during a holy attack during Jihad, that you automatically get ushered into the presence of Allah (heaven), and exist in paradise for eternity; concurrently eating or touching pork will send you south. Evangelical Christians subscribe to a variety of doctrines that are similar, but focus on belief in Christ the Messiah and Saviour to get to heaven; the denial of Christ or unrepentant sin (for some denominations) will get you an express ticket to Hades. I'm not certain Jews even have a concept of heaven, although the concepts of hell rise out of Jewish writings. For Buddhists heaven is Nirvana, and it can take several to several hundred lifetimes to get there; hell is a slide down the other direction in a spiral of de-evolution.

The best and most interesting answer I've ever heard to this question was the following statement:

"Never ask questions that you cannot know the answer to on this side of eternity."

Who said that? One most would consider an expert on the subject; the Evangelical Fundamental Christian Pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Callifornia, Pastor Rick Warren.

The bible is not the 'word of god'.

God did not write the bible.

The bible is an interpretation that has been translated and changed as time has gone on.

But as you use theft as an example - do you hold that for a thief to be accepted into your heaven, he should cut off the hand that he used during the burglary?

I was married before I became a practising homosexual. The increasing tolerance of homosexuality in our society has enabled me to find true love, happiness and fulfilment in my life after many decades of depression, self-loathing and alcohol abuse.

Papa Stour is wrong when he* says a tolerant society produces homosexuality. I was aware of my sexual orientation as a boy before homosexuality was de-criminalised in this country and too frightened to admit my sexual orientation. Only the very brave come out in a society where they face punishment for something that is part of their nature, hence the “low†figures for homosexuality in countries where homosexuality is a taboo or a criminal offence.

There is something that puzzles me about Christians like Papa Stour and I wonder if he* could give me answers to some questions. The bible says “though shalt not killâ€. Why then aren’t all Christians pacifists and conscientious objectors? War is an indiscriminate killer, it kills men and women. It also kills children including unborn children.

As a Christian and anti-abortionist has Papa Stour ever spoken out against war and the arms industry? If not, why not?

Has he* written equally strongly worded letters to his* MP regarding votes about the UK going to war? Has he* written equally strongly worded letters regarding votes on arms spending? If not, why not?

* I don’t know Papa Stour’s gender, but have a strong feeling that he isn’t a woman.