Silvercloud

The access to the existing AHS is very limited & it is very sensible to build on a new site rather than cause total chaos at the Knab with contractors trying to bring materials on & off site ,while trying to keep a school operating on a building site at the same time.

Never the less it is a pity to see the Caravan/camp site & the emergency landing site,that cost thousands of pounds ,being demolished at Clickamin to make way for the new shoool.

If this school had been located at it's original "planned" location at Clickamin then these fantastic facilities could probably have remained.

The traffic on Lochside will increase during the building & after when the new school is operational & looking at the plans I'm not sure there is all that much room for the number of buses that will be necessary to get pupils to & from the building twice a day .

I would like to see Westerloch Road extended round the loch to Clickamin centre/Lochside,this would provide another route to & from the school on the flat which would be helpful in the winter when there is icey conditions.

There is some suggestions that Cunningham Way is going to be upgraded but fail to see what help this will be to anyone driveing to the school.

Who wants to drive down the steep Stanyhill Road when its icey! & it would cost more to keep it gritted.

I hope the folk who are planning all this are listening to all these solutions & not ignoreing everyone.

Broonies Taing was a typical example --when it was being planned seafarers who knew the area advised against ,but the job went ahead ,but was never used for the purpose intended simply because they could not berth ships there easily!

Upgrading Cunningham Way will certainly help all the kids from the areas on the other side of the hill - who will most certainly walk over the hill rather than all the way around. Hope they put in some kind of lighting - as I know that would be the way my kids will go - and they are a lot of kids in this area that would walk that way.

I personally never took into consideration that the helicopter landing site would have to go - vexed about that too - but I do hope that they will relocate both the camp site and landing site out to seafield.

My gut feeling is that this is the start of the whole area being developed. There has been a resistance to this for some years and that's probably why the new AHS was secretely and suddenly moved from the "original" site of North Lochside.

In time, we'll probably see the old Staney Hill track being upgraded into a fully developed road, thus creating a bypass between the north area of Lerwick and south.

paulb raises an interesting point because it's not too many years ago that Historic Scotland were meddling in local affairs and objected to development there because it would "ruin" the backdrop to the Clickimin Broch. However, I suspect HS will now be swiftly brushed aside.

I have mixed feelings and can see both sides of the argument but personally, I can't see why they couldn't have upgraded the old track and allowed some housing in but a great swapping school which will decimate the much loved camp site and leave the landing site with questions over it is hard to swallow.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the council is jumping on the band wagon since the western isles and Orkney are getting or got new schools, info from one sic worker said there is nothing at all wrong with the old AHS at the moment, also a lot of the AHS was refurbished a few years back, all that is needed is to extend the existing building to accommodate more pupils.

• 1 month later...

With something like this, there is just one chance to get things right and that is when it is built. So the absolute over-riding need is to get the location, the layout, the size right for a school to serve the community for the next 50 years or so. If that means losing the campsite, if that means it costs the Council a bit more than hoped for, then so be it.

The simple way to make a building cheaper is to make it smaller, but if it is built with too small rooms, without sufficient common space etc, then it will be like that for evermore. So good on the Council if they are looking to build up to a standard rather than down to a price. Not gold plating, but to get something that will be properly functional and adequate for years to come.

I believe the new Yell school cost between 8 and 9 million. If that is 'good value' for a place the size of Yell I'd have thought £14 m was pretty good value for the secondary school which serves the whole of Shetland. if only Lerwick could get the style and build of the Yell school. But Lerwick bairns have long been the poor relations in spend per head on education.

Well, I popped to the public exhibition for the new AHS in the Waterside Suite of the Clickimin Swmming Pool and have to say I fear for what we'll end up with in terms of design.

I went there under the impression the exhibition would show some final designs etc but it was just a few maps showing where it is all going and the new road layout etc and a few boards showing various types of possible materials with another board showing some horrendous possible designs.

There was a suggestion box and I did leave a few comments but I'm not filled with hope.....