Pelican crossings!

damissinlink

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion (pedestrian):

I am a very brave person when it comes to anything. The crossings are just like passing a path over a volcano; you either fall into the victim of a car incident or run for your life across it. The last I was at a crossing would have been about two or three months ago, it was a Saturday, I finished work and the roads were pretty busy at Bolts. I went to one end of the crossing (where the Charitable trust building is) and I knew there was no cars when I approached so I walked like goose across the crossing until I saw a car and so I ran until I saw the pavement. I find that crossing a bit of a blind spot when coming from King Harald Street.

In my opinion (driving a car):

I feel my heart race a bit when I see a schoolbairn cross the road at a running speed that I would immediately jam the brakes hard. I am a very cautious driver most of the time and I am often a polite driver when it comes to pedestrians wishing to cross the road. Yet the Esplanade is the worst for pedestrians running to catch the town service bus and almost collide with a car, also the cars parked at the Thule don't reverse park sometimes and so they instead just drive out of a parking space without looking behind them, mirrors or blind spots and thinks "yeah, nobody isn't around". I either go for the Fort, old swimming pool or Victoria pier as much as possible because there usually isn't too many people about.

Basically, I am fearing both driving and walking past/near crossings.

I like the lights with the smiley face (under speed limit) or cross face (speeding). 

The Spids are a great idea. We have campaigned here to get drivers to reduce their speeds, especially where they have been breaking the law. We got the traffic monitored over a period of time in a 20mph area, remarkable, the average speed was 27 mph. We got the Spid installed and after it had collected more data, we got the county council to install further signs, this then was backed up by police stopping speeding motorists and the motorists were question by the local school children from the primary school. There were tears from some drivers. We are still monitoring the speeds on that stretch of road, drivers still do not care as they wizz past the unhappy face. However, we have managed to report several taxis/mini buses and the local bus for breaking the limits. Residents are so fed up with it, they are now recording the Spid.

As for the lights, I have been told their replacement may come into £100s of thousands, due to their age as spares are limited.

• 2 weeks later...

^ I must have been the first pedestrian to cross the Bolts' crossing today. Luckily I had a fluorescent yellow jacket on in case they were somehow faulty once I went to the other side of the road. It started beeping when I was in the middle of the road but I did manage to get across without being run down.

^ I must have been the first pedestrian to cross the Bolts' crossing today. Luckily I had a fluorescent yellow jacket on in case they were somehow faulty once I went to the other side of the road. It started beeping when I was in the middle of the road but I did manage to get across without being run down.

Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to cross the road without a responsible adult being with you?  :mrgreen:

Now you can cross the road without having to look, relying solely on the skill of drivers to observe the red light, have an opinion on the amber  and miss you if all else goes wrong.

I have not heard that councils always train traffic light engineers, here we have the contract with Siemens, they monitor the lights as well with telephonic links. One authority that has its own engineers are Cheshire, you could ask them if anyone was really interested on finding out how it works and the costs.

I can imagine the situation now, your locally trained SIC bod will spend more time training than they will working on the very small number of lights there.

I wonder if the MESH coms will apply? Could have to be part of the training as it is generally done to a national standard so that quality and standards are maintained and can be evidenced.

Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to cross the road without a responsible adult being with you?  :mrgreen:

I don't find that funny...

I don't find that funny...

Noo come on Crunchie, it was a peerie bit funny :-)