What are you currently reading?

"Fortune House" by Kirsty Scott. Described as "a moving and compelling portrait of a modern-day family with all the warmth, pain, humour and love that come with being related" - my 15 year old asked why anyone would choose to read a book with a description like that as it was bound to be depressing, and I am coming to the conclusion that I should have taken their advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Two of you with the same signature line? Awww, that's lovely, you can be each other's valentine! :wink:

Just finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and just started "The Girl Who Played with Fire", both by Stieg Larsson. I enjoy crime fiction, and would put these near the top of my favourite books in the genre. I found the main characters thoroughly engaging, and the stories so absorbing they were/are hard to put down!

Just Finished 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' yesterday too. Best crime novel I have read in ages, can't wait to get my hands on 'The Girl Who Played with Fire!'

Last week finished 'When a Crocodile Eats the Sun' by Peter Godwin It is a very good true life about the lives of white nationals in Zimbabwe under the rule of Robert Mugabe. A non fiction book but a page turner all the same. It really opened my eyes.

I have just started reading an autobiography of Paul O'Grady which I found quite hilarious as he mentioned about his geneology and his life in Birkenhead.

I am now at chapter 6 and it has got to be the funniest chapter ever as he mentioned his pet doing its business on his auntie's dressing gown as I laughed all night.

But Paul, eat your heart out! (if he knows there is website called this!)

Half way through a travel-log 'Cycling home from Siberia' by Rob Lilwall

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-Home-Siberia-Rob-Lilwall/dp/034097981X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/278-0017640-9991413

A good tale of his travel from the far side of Siberia on his trusty old cycle, people he meets and places he stays. Bit heavy on the 'i put my faith in god' thing for me but worth a read especially if you like more real travel tales i.e. one's that aren't about celbs sponsored to the hilt with an army of back up crews and researchers.

May be I'll travel the length of Shetland on uni-cycle one day :lol:

Last book I finished was 'The grumpy old sailor' by Shetland duo Janice Armstrong and Meilo So. Enjoyed every moment of it. Very poetic; beautifully and creatively illustrated. On the surface, it is a book for children, but definitely worth a read.

Halfway though Ian Rankin's "The Complaints". Totally recommend it, even though Rebus is notably absent .

I think with Rankin it's the little pieces of normal, day-to-day life that he weaves into the narrative that make it so absorbing :

".. He flicked through the Freeview channels until he found Dave. It was all repeats, but still watchable. Fifth gear followed by Top Gear followed by another Top Gear..."

Then the protagonist goes on to solve a few murders and smash a paedophile ring. Love it.

I went through a phase of reading all of Ian Rankins books in order including the non-Rebus ones and love them, but again can't remember 'The Complaints'. Is it in the library?

Another triliogy I read was by Steig Larsson, the girl who played with fire. Highly recommended. The final one only came out in English last autumn but I managed to reserve it at the library and read it before we moved up here.