20 MPH speed limit in town

Tammychoink

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should the council impose a 20 MPH speed limit in town?

• Yes
    • No

It's a good idea for some parts but not sure it would work as they don't stick to what it's meant to be anyway, and their never ever police around between about 7- whenever in the evenings as I used to work till 9pm and walk across the pier they were all lined up going really fast on and off the pier, my place of work residents commented on this a lot not sure if they were ever reported, but the police arnt very busy here so they should be patrolling it not all night but just sometimes.

It's a good idea for some parts but not sure it would work as they don't stick to what it's meant to be anyway, and their never ever police around between about 7- whenever in the evenings as I used to work till 9pm and walk across the pier they were all lined up going really fast on and off the pier, my place of work residents commented on this a lot not sure if they were ever reported, but the police arnt very busy here so they should be patrolling it not all night but just sometimes.

I might be wrong but, isn't the pier owned by LPA and, if it is, isn't it, effectively, "private property".?

This means that plod would be quite limited in what they can do there but, as you suggested, a "presence" might be all that is needed.  After all, nobody wants to come to their "attention".

Back to a point I made very early in this thread.   If there is(?) any "speeding" etc. going on the, the answer is to put the doughnuts and coffee down, get down there and, start "nicking" one or two of the perps..  The rest will get the message pretty quickly after that.

As Colin says the pier is LPA property as far as I'm aware, which limits plods options. No amount of humps and speed limits on the Esplanade is going to make folk on the pier drive slower, if anything it'll just encourage more folk to race up and down, burn rubber, do doughnuts etc on the pier itself. If the pier is part of the "problem", what is and isn't allowed to occur on it has to be part of the solution.

^ They'd never do that, would they? Seeing as some "expert" bod someplace is on record as saying the purpose of all the crap they're going to stick to the road is to make the 20mph limit "self-policing".

Yep, there'll be cameras in a few, probably plod will even find the resources to have a car lingering round the area most evenings as well - standard SIC policy, do things in ass over udder order.

• The Shetland Islands Council has answered a range of questions posed by Living Lerwick on the 20 miles per hour zone for the inner part of Commercial Road, the Esplanade and Church Road, with associated traffic calming devices.

• The reply from the council advocates traffic calming, but shows that many of the accidents in the area were the result of pedestrians and drivers failing to look properly and the result of intoxication but only a few were a result of speeding.

• The reply also produced figures that showed that the current average peak-time speed of vehicles in the area varied from 18 to 23 miles per hour, according to what part of the area the speed timings were taken, and even in the evening hours the average speed varied from only 19 to 25 miles per hour.

^ From SIBC.

So, why the need to do anything?

Every few years I go to the polling station and cast my vote hopeful that the newly elected will be better than the last,but there seems to be a very contagious disease that seems to affect most who spend any time in the town hall and robs them of all common sense.

Guess it will not be to long till we pack a bit of paper in the black box again and start the process of hope and inticipation all over again. 

• The Shetland Islands Council has answered a range of questions posed by Living Lerwick on the 20 miles per hour zone for the inner part of Commercial Road, the Esplanade and Church Road, with associated traffic calming devices.

• The reply from the council advocates traffic calming, but shows that many of the accidents in the area were the result of pedestrians and drivers failing to look properly and the result of intoxication but only a few were a result of speeding.

• The reply also produced figures that showed that the current average peak-time speed of vehicles in the area varied from 18 to 23 miles per hour, according to what part of the area the speed timings were taken, and even in the evening hours the average speed varied from only 19 to 25 miles per hour.

^ From SIBC.

So, why the need to do anything?

The S.I.C needs to be seen to be doing something, anything, to justify their existence. Remember, your council tax is paying for these totally unnecessary speed bumps. The people that have decided to put these speed bumps in, for no obvious reason, live of the backs of the Shetland peeps. Aren't they so great :ponders:

Every few years I go to the polling station and cast my vote hopeful that the newly elected will be better than the last,but there seems to be a very contagious disease that seems to affect most who spend any time in the town hall and robs them of all common sense.

Guess it will not be to long till we pack a bit of paper in the black box again and start the process of hope and inticipation all over again.

Maybe du should consider staandin?

Maybe it would be a good idea to force our councillors to commute into Lerwick via the old north road..  Nightmarish parking, restricted traffic flow and, the best possible argument against "stupid" speed bumps I can think of..

Another point worth noting (if I am correct) is that "speed bumps" cannot be installed within 40 metres of any junction.

Going to be a tight fit to get any installed on the Commercial Road/Esplanade/Church Road UNLESS someone at the SIC is going to re-define "junction"