Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

I'm maybe missing something, but several times in this thread you've advocated not voting because it's supporting a corrupt system and suggested a 'revolution' was required. Yet you voted?

Surely then, by your own logic, you have chosen to support the corrupt system?

Nope, I voted as for once, there was a rare occasion to use the system against itself, by putting someone in it that was promising to start destroying it rather than nursing it and feeding it.

A Lib Dem Majority of 10,000 was reduced to 800, these are your constituents, they are real Shetland folk.

Of course he should have a fair hearing, do it the fairest way possible, Democratically, let the "Shetland he knows" deliver their verdict.

But he will avoid that for as long as he possibly can because now there is a very real chance that he will be out on his ear. No way will he consider any democracy in this case, it's a bit too threatening for him. "Stuff what the people want, I want my well payed job!!!" is what he's thinking at the moment.

Edited by George.

I'm maybe missing something, but several times in this thread you've advocated not voting because it's supporting a corrupt system and suggested a 'revolution' was required. Yet you voted?

Nope, I voted as for once, there was a rare occasion to use the system against itself, by putting someone in it that was promising to start destroying it rather than nursing it and feeding it.

So when everyone else votes, they're voting to prop up a corrupt system. But when you vote, you're trying to destroy it??

@gorgonzola have you noticed... this is just like the news! what started out as a discussion about a politician lying has turned into a discussion about ukip.... 

and i think i've sussed it! @ghostrider takes his cues from russell brand. pre-election it's all "i'm not participating in this sham of a democracy, they don't represent us, we need a different system..." then come voting time it's all "yeah ok, i'll vote, maybe it'll change things a bit."

just to keep on topic, don't think anyone posted the change.org petition yet, over 12.000 sigs so far. the 38 degrees one has a similar number, fair chance it's mostly the same people, but still... https://www.change.org/p/alistair-carmichael-mp-resign-as-an-mp

Think the most important question that needs to be asked of the electorate is, and you need to be honest when answering it.

"Were you swayed to vote LibDem because of the leaked memo?"

I know I wasn't swayed by it, as there were lies from all directions.

Will we see dozens of ministers commit Seppuku? I don't think so. 

Fair enough Distortio,  I really should want Carmichael to resign as well as his falsely called Liberal Democrat party and Tavish our MSP has already openly betrayed the men of the Shetland fishing industry in 2001

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1212389.stm

We had a meeting at the Fishermans meeting prior to the scottish governments plans to decommision a large number of the white fish fleet.

A show of hands from the meeting demonstrated to Tavish that we wanted him to vote in favour of a compensation scheme to maintain us through the period of ground closures rather than scrapping the fleet.

He then went to Holyrood and voted directly against our wishes , following the party line as laid down by their masters in Brussels.

Even though the government lost the vote , the democratic process was blatantly ignored and the scottish government followed the dictate from brussels

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1209957.stm

He only resigned from his cabinet position after this betrayal

So when everyone else votes, they're voting to prop up a corrupt system. But when you vote, you're trying to destroy it??

Nope, not quiet that simple. When someone votes for a mainstream party they can only be propping up a broken system, as those parties are only offering a continuation of the status quo. Voting for a party that offers something radically different is attempting to put someone inside the system to start tearing it down and creating new in its place.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat, you can either take the long and winding scenic route and use the system against itself to place people within it to undertake a hostile takeover and revolutionise it by slow change, or you can be face first about it by sending in the tanks blowing everything to kingdom come, and starting over by building all new from among the ashes as per your stereotypical revolution. Folk seem to have little stomach for the latter these days in western Europe, and in any case the former is considerably more user friendly, so we're probably stuck with that, for now at least, as being the most realistically feasible route.

Think the most important question that needs to be asked of the electorate is, and you need to be honest when answering it.

"Were you swayed to vote LibDem because of the leaked memo?"

you could widen that question a little more to be fair. say...

"would you still have voted lib-dem if you'd known about the leaked memo and subsequent lies?"

@gorgonzola yeah, no time for tavish really.

and i think i've sussed it! @ghostrider takes his cues from russell brand.

That would be exceedingly difficult, seeing as I haven't a clue who this guy is.

riiiiight. i get it. don't want to blow your cover yeah? no problem russ.  :thmbsup  :thmbsup  :thmbsup

Whatever pulls your chain.

A Google reveals he's allegedly a "comedian", which explains why I haven't a clue who he is. I don't 'do' telly, and my kinda humour died with the passing of the b&w episodes of Till Death Do Us Part and Dave Allen.