Hope he is made welcome

JustMe

I don't think that the man's afflictions are 'unspeakable' at all.  Maybe not strictly PC to discuss them but, unfortunately, he has them and, that is a fact and, you can't hide it..

What I find mildly amusing(?) about the whole scenario is;

1. He gets mugged (not at all funny)

2. Because of his "condition", he gets a huge wave of sympathy (fair enough)

3. The sympathy converts itself into a considerable "wedge" which he uses to buy a "safe" house.

4. Doesn't like his safe house so, his "god" tells him to take some kind of sabbatical(?) up here. No doubt, to "spread the word"

5. It appears (to me anyway) that he has (inadvertantly) done a fairly decent job of mugging(?) all the kind hearted people who contributed so generously to his cause.  A ticket to somewhere "remote" would have been a hell of a lot cheaper...

That's the cynic in me and, as I said at the top, we have plenty of ways (other than mugging) to get his money off him..

Personally, I couldn't care less about his new found wealth, religion or, (dare I say it) his condition.  Just don't want my face rubbed in any of it..

Would I welcome him... No.   But, I wouldn't want to throw him out either.

Hopefully he decides to avoid renting from SIC Housing (even if it means his stash vanishes multiple times faster in to some private landlord's pocket). Mention "disabled" to that mob in there and the fact you said it is either completely ignored, or they apply what appears to be their sole definition of the word, that you fell off the last banana boat that came over, hit your head on the way down, and have no mental competence whatsoever. Risking being mugged again, were it me, would seem to being the preferable option than getting entangled with them.

Lets get a reality check on this:

Guy gets mugged.

Folk rally round and present him with a tidy sum of money.

He eventually decides to move to Shetland.

Absolute non-story.

Anywhere else in the UK, no-one would question his motives or his decision to move anywhere. Nowt to do with anyone but him.

Except the comments column on the various online media outlets does have people querying them.  

Putting my religious views aside ( or lack of them) I wish the fella well in his move, and hope he seeks here what hes looking for from life. I for one would certainly be welcoming him, its a shame the media had to make a big hoo har over it all. Is he meant to be condemmed to one house for the rest of his life as it was bought with charitable donations? If I had donated money to him, I would be more then happy for him to be finding somewhere he would truly feel happy. Im sure he will here :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...