New Esplanade road layout

suuusssiiieee

If I was in charge of pedestrian risk assessment I would put Lochside, the roundabout at the Grantfield garage and the Tesco roundabout as the top 3, the new school has made these areas death traps.

Dig up the car wrecking speed bumps on the Esplanade and stick some traffic lights with crossings in all these areas please and thank you.

Shush! Say nowt. If the Council gets wind of any possible issue they'll either want to build elevated pedestrian walkways or underpasses at both locations  Must stop the little kiddies from being used as skittles in a bowling alley at all costs....... Never mind that a blind man could have forseen an issue.

However did we all survive the horrors of crossing Church Road several times a day......Oh, yeah....That was BR- 'Before (un-necessary) Roundabouts'.

Edited by Ghostrider

^ The theory is good, but....

Assuming habits haven't changed all that radically since my day. Not everyone going to the street went via crossing Church Road at the Toll Booth, a smaller number, but albeit a still significant one went via Knab Road and Church Lane.

Also, only a certain percentage went to the street, I wouldn't even go as far as to say it was even the majority of the school roll that went on a regular basis. Given that Lochside, Tesco and the Coop are shorter less strenous walks, and Tesco and the Coop have a much superior range of offerings, especially compared to recent years, to what the street had, it can't just be assumed that its the same number of folk involved - additional numbers may well have been attracted to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It would seem the predictions that were made nave now been proved to be true,as someone has been involved in an accident on the crossing outside the Viking Bus Station.

Wid da listen ! But of course nothing to do with the "new layout"

Edited by Urabug

You can't eliminate all accidents entirely, there always will be an occasional one when it happens that a certain set of ducks manage to get in line at just the right way at the right time.

There were sausage all accidents on that road before they did anything, and there are sausage all yet. The only reason council staff could justify doing it was to extend both the length of road included in the sample, and the period of time over which they counted accidents until they got the figure racked up high enough - Typical public service massaging of stats to support doing what they'd already decided they wanted to do anyway.

The whole thing with the 'improvements' they did was a complete waste of time and money, made it more awkward to drive on, and has changed pedestrian 'safety' none. You can't fix a problem that didn't exist (unless in the manipulated figures of a council report), and you can't prevent the unpreventable - As long as you involve two or more humans in the equation, sooner of later the combined misjudgement/mistake/misunderstanding/oversight etc will result in an argument over the same square foot of tar with the inevitable results.

^ It’s hardly a “new” road layout now! Think it’s got more to do with the age of the driver, this is exactly why re-testing need’s to be done on the elderly! If there not pulling out in front of you they are pootling along at 35/40 in a 60.

Ageist much! :razz:

At what age would you deem someone to be 'elderly' and in need of a retest?

In my experience pulling out in your face happens with all ages, and has more to do with the overall competency of the individual driver than their age. A number of folk certainly tend to drive slower as they get older, but that effect tends to start kicking in with some in their 30's and for others it never does, they're still pedal to the metal in their 70's.

I won't argue that there are a few on the roads that you do question the sanity of letting them loose in traffic, and feel decidedly nervous if you see them around as you're never quite sure what they might pull next, but just blanket re-retesting of everybody at an aribitary age seems a bit excessive just to address the problem of a very small minority.

I mean, if Phil the Greek and Madge can hammer around the lanes of Norfolk in their Range Rovers in their 90's..............Okay, maybe not the best of examples. :D

^Does a person need to be one of the elderly amongst us that should be re-tested? Would it not be more useful to have the clowns, of any age, that can't drive to save themselves re-tested? I don't think that a person that can drive skillfully within the speed limit and without scaring the life out of everybody within a couple of miles of themselves really needs re-testing. However, the completely idiotic, unskilled fools that we all come across....

Edited by George.