Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Regarding drinking and bars, why is it that alcohol is consumed so often out of the public eye ? Ie Squad huts, private clubs, and pubs that don't let kids in , I can only see the benefits of having a weatherspoons type place here by having folk drinking responsibly and having a bite to eat with there familys.

But if the chemist is going be a bakery I am all for it, ideally id like to see a place with a few tables inside where you could stop off and grab a Tea/Coffee and a baked snack as well as getting your baked goods.

Edited by Property2017

Regarding drinking and bars, why is it that alcohol is consumed so often out of the public eye ? Ie Squad huts, private clubs, and pubs that don't let kids in , I can only see the benefits of having a weatherspoons type place here by having folk drinking responsibly and having a bite to eat with there familys.

A pub that doesn't let children in is permitting alcohol to be consumed in the public eye.  Besides, not all of us want to be disturbed by snotty nose sprogs running amok whilst mummy and daddy are getting legless under the guise of "drinking responsibly".  

They can do that in a restaurant....  It's a subtle difference but, restaurants/cafes exist to, primarily, dispense food whilst public houses exist to dispense alcohol.  For pubs, food is an "afterthought" that, generally, requires extra staff and space (and wages too).

Personally, I believe that "kids" should not be allowed into public houses.  Why "normalise" visiting a premises that dispenses a substance that causes so much damage?  Perhaps they should wait outside with the smokers?

Furthermore, Shetland's Pubs, imho, do not generally encourage responsible(?) drinking.  They will sell, and keep on selling, until you become painfully "irresponsible".  Should they put a "hard" limit on the amount of alcohol punters can purchase?

I like a dram, but would not want children to watch me get hammered. Thankfully I have mostly grown-out of the need to drink to excess, and thankfully I have never been addicted to it

The sort of pub/pub drinking up here should not be witnessed by children.

When away on holiday however going in to a pub for lunch with a drink, is a different matter.

• 1 month later...

^ Somebody is supposed to be taking over the Hub shop in the New Year to sell some other kind of 'clothing' last I heard, whether it happens or not, time will tell I suppose.

Did Laing's ever move to Kantersted, and if so what's happening with the story some bakery was moving in. Or is that all off now....

There would need to be some new life in the place, as its close to that critical mass now of the place being nothing but banks and nowhere to spend the money if you draw it out.

Yes, the HUB and Monterey Jacks are both closed. I did think that Monterey Jacks would have lasted a year at least but obviously not, I have never been inside the place so can't comment or give reasons to why they might have closed, but heard the health and safety story and heard a few negative comments. Seems strange though as most food outlets get hassled by health and safety, but they sort it instead of closing.

Also any ideas what is going on at the north end of Commercial street? see they have railed off most parking spaces below the fort.

Please don't tell me they are going to be digging a trench or doing road "improvement" works that's going to last for weeks.  

^ Somebody is supposed to be taking over the Hub shop in the New Year to sell some other kind of 'clothing' last I heard, whether it happens or not, time will tell I suppose.

A shop has closed down in Bolts that was selling women’s clothing. Perhaps that is moving to the street? It was in the place that was a soap shop(?) for a few months, before that a sewing shop for a few months, before that a men’s clothes shop for a few months. It seems to serve as a long term pop-up shop.

Monterey Jacks owner claimed they couldn't get tradesman to carry out the repair work and kitchen upgrades, I wonder if they removed all the fryers etc they said were installed before they opened.

I think the place just never took of , though the chain is now opening in Glasgow west end to add to 4 other locations , its sounds like the owner lost interest and quit on Lerwick.

Monterey Jacks owner claimed they couldn't get tradesman to carry out the repair work and kitchen upgrades, I wonder if they removed all the fryers etc they said were installed before they opened.

I think the place just never took of , though the chain is now opening in Glasgow west end to add to 4 other locations , its sounds like the owner lost interest and quit on Lerwick.

Perhaps that's why they couldn't keep the kitchen clean.