Lerwick town centre

suuusssiiieee

Perhaps the moderators should put a warning notice out for any unsuspecting visitors that might get the wrong impression i.e  that the forums are in anyway representative of the views of normal Shetlanders. Self Included ;-)

I do know that Commercial Street is not that disability friendly sufferorofonecrankymofo, although if you have a vehicle or a friend/relative to take you then you can use your blue badge and park on commercial street, I have taken two relatives like this, one walking with a walking stick and one in a wheelchair and used their blue badge every time with them and felt that I shouldn't but it was for them as helping them, but felt that people look and think that you shouldn't be parking there, when legal to with blue badge on dashboard of vehicle and really it is none of their business anyway, so just do what you wish and are able to and don;t worry about anyone else, carry on as you are, I didn't mean anything bad.

I think George means that on shetlink people fight and argue the toss with each other and in reality in life in shetland we help people and are friendy, well people we do not hate for what they have done and complete liars to us anyway as personally I would not help anyone who has done me wrong if they were in need of help and people who have lied and caused harm to others and when they get their comeuppance think that is great in whatever form and shape that happens as it will, that's gods way and he doesn't give to you what you cannot cope with, but I would help anyone else including complete strangers.

Edited by playlist

Positive ideas?? wrong place for that.

Your comment above, Mikeyboy. There have been a number of positive ideas brought up and  there have been negative ones. I don't mind what a persons views or beliefs are, as long as they are honest with them. It has been suggested that there should be some positive ideas put forward. That's very nice but the truth is the one that matters the most.

Guest tiodylb17

I just think times have changed and we live in a different era now , the old commercial street activity is gone and it can never be what it once was as a retail experience.

It can be improved on though and I think it has more of a future with nice places to sit and relax , take a bite to eat and then nip and get your shopping.

As a comparison how is Orkney is it suffering the same closures and lack of customers in the retail area's ?

Kirkwall's Albert St. seems quite buoyant the last time i was down there - a good mix of local shops and national retailers.

Dealz where Woolworths was is a great shop for many everyday items, and there's even a modest Co-operative on the street to boot.

That's still with a Lidl, Tesco and the other Co-operative being only 300 yards away from the place. 

They seem to be doing ok. 

Edited by suuusssiiieee

Kirkwall's Albert St. seems quite buoyant the last time i was down there - a good mix of local shops and national retailers.

Dealz where Woolworths was is a great shop for many everyday items, and there's even a modest Co-operative on the street to boot.

That's still with a Lidl, Tesco and the other Co-operative being only 300 yards away from the place. 

They seem to be doing ok. 

Kirkwall basically only has one shopping area no toll clock a lot of bigger shops more usefull for modern retailing 

Could be that the cost of complying with the strict requirements regarding building regulations is the biggest hurdle for anyone trying to run any business on "da street."

A very costly and almost impossible task to meet all the necessary requirements imposed on any conversions that may be required. 

Perhaps a start would be to remove speed bumps and get rid of the bodged tarmac areas on the street, replace with some similar stone that actually matches in, start with improving where people actually walk and move on from there. Stop with all the unnecessary ornaments, some nice areas for flowers in the summer to hang along the street, it all helps with the feel and adds colour looks far more welcoming.

The owners of the shops need to paint and renovate the shops fronts and do it properly, and keep on top of it, so it does not become a major job on a regular bases.

Get rid of Living Lerwick and it’s unecessary charges and the shops need to promote themselves more some of the shops look closed even when they are open.

Stop dog walking down the street, due to the mess left, I understand it is not all dog owners, but time has come to take drastic action.

Stop the vechicles during shop opening hours and possibly delivery vechicles to arrive before 9am.

The street looks more like a car park free for all and pedestrians spend more time dodging cars than looking in the windows, certainly could not take a gentle stroll.

I’m sure others can think of some other suggestions, but above would be good place to start or be getting on with.

Stop the vechicles during shop opening hours and possibly delivery vechicles to arrive before 9am.

In 2012, laws were brought out regarding driving on Commercial Street  that covered the road between 1130 and 1700, Monday to Saturday where the only drivers allowed in were the disabled drivers with a blue badge. Pity that it's not inflicted on the drivers that take no notice, not that the drivers think it's worth taking any notice about.