Winter Festival

redrobbie

'Winter Festival', I've not seen much to celebrate about 'winter' ever, and certanly nothing this one so far what with gales, rain, snow, ice, power cuts....

I suppose it would need to be the 'Festive Season Festival' or the 'Holidays Festival' to keep the uber PC brigade happy.... :roll:

Alternatively maybe its long past time to enforce a "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" approach to those who object to the 'C' word, stop trying to pander to every snowflake's 'hurt feelings' and take a leaf out of the UHA book - Those who want it, get on with it and call it whatever they like, and those who object, stay home and do your own thing.

Personally, over the years I have grown to loathe anything and everything connected to the 'C' word, but that doesn't stop me from going about my business in the normal way and ignoring all the silly fluff and tat waving around, any more than some Viking themed charade on the last Tuesday of January can't be ignored if I need to go about my business in LK on that day.

Bottom line, if someone objects to whatever happens at this time of year so much that they need the 'C' word removed before they can get in to it, they're joining in to something that's not right for them and where they don't belong, and they should go and do their own thing and call it whateve rthey like. Hijacking other folk's crap and making it in to something different starts wars - ask Poland. ;)

Edited by Ghostrider

Personally, I "don't do" Christmas.   More than happy to let those that do get on with it but, renaming it "Winter Festival" is equally abhorrent.

Christmas is a Christian Festival (OK, it has roots in "pre-christian" times) and, should be celebrated as such.

Kinda surprised that the local Christian community(?) aren't objecting to it being hijacked in to a "one size fits all" type event designed not to offend(?) anyone.

Christmas is a Christian Festival (OK, it has roots in "pre-christian" times) and, should be celebrated as such.

Why is Christmas considered to be a Christian festival? There's nothing Christian about Santa Claus and his flying reindeer. There's no Christian link with yule logs or Christmas trees. It's no more than a very expensive sales pitch.

What’s the pc term for Ramadan or Yom Kippur?

Good question ?

AFAIK, as it is calculated from Lunar observations, Ramadan is at a different date each year and, because of the lunar cycle being out of sync with western calendars, it tends to be 10/11 days earlier each year.

How about "Totally Mobile First Quarter Festival" ?

Yom Kippur should be a bit easier as it is based on a calendar and only lasts 1 day. 

How about "Go Hungry Day"

What’s the pc term for Ramadan or Yom Kippur?

Next year, 2018, Ramadam will begin in the evening of the 15th of May and run until the 14th of June. It's a month of fasting, or starvation if you want to be honest. Yom Kippur is from the 18th to the 19th of September next year, twenty-four hours of repentance and reminds me of the Catholics going to tell the priest what they've done this week, only to be told that if they say three Hail Mary's they'll be forgiven.

IMHO, the pc term for both is the same as it is for Christmas, Easter Sunday, prayers, singing hymns, Jesus Christ and.Navaratri. It's all bullsh*t. Created as no more than a control mechanism, but that's just my opinion. I hope thet those following Ahusa Mazda, the Wise Lord can cope with all of it  :roll:

Edited by George.

I only found out recently that Ramadam fasting only applies during the hours of daylight. Pretty much whit most wirkin folk here do fae October tae March :mrgreen: (Winder how dey manage here in June an July :ponders:)

Christmas just means a winter spree/break/holidays, or all three, to most folks noo'adays, which is great, the sooner religion (of all kinds) gets left behind the better. Believe in Santie, he beats aa da rest hands doon.