Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

We will see what happens, though a protester will always go the extra mile to exaggerate the worst case scenario. It is what some do. I wonder why there was little protest about otters when they were building the oil terminals, the destruction to the sea bed and the disruption to the rest of the wildlife. The farmers polluting the lochs. Mind, the lochs are better, the sea bed has recovered and the otters returned in abundance. Oh, yes, the Mafia, funny.

So a few animals die when folk build stuff, what you can do is get some training and help out with conservation, especially if it is all doom and gloom.

Next we will be chopping up sub-sea mammals with tidal turbines, oh the woe.

I have a plan regarding Cats, Whimbrels, Wind Mills etc.

If VE were to attach a tiny little bell to each turbine blade, hay-presto problem solved.

This should be effective for all our feathered friends not just Whimbrels, with perhaps the exception of Budgies who quite enjoy the company of a bell.

Combine this with keeping the turbines inside at night and budgie kills become insignificant.

I am just wondering if I am at risk of being faced with a public inquiry.

Some time ago one of my cats caught a whimbrel and brought it home. Sadly it didn’t survive.

Since this constitutes the equivalent of 27.5 wind turbines, this must surely be of serious concern to Sustainable Shetland.

Should I report my cat to the Court of Session?

Dr Helen Erwood

Lunna House

Vidlin

She should report herself to the coroner and the GMC. I have to wonder how good a "doctor" this Helen Erwood is if she couldn't save the life of 1 tiny bird. Did she even try or did she just leave it in the hands of her multitude of cats to decide the hapless avian's fate while she sat back and smiled? We have no way of knowing what goes on behind closed catflaps.

I am just wondering if I am at risk of being faced with a public inquiry.

Some time ago one of my cats caught a whimbrel and brought it home. Sadly it didn’t survive.

Since this constitutes the equivalent of 27.5 wind turbines, this must surely be of serious concern to Sustainable Shetland.

Should I report my cat to the Court of Session?

Dr Helen Erwood

Lunna House

Vidlin

She should report herself to the coroner and the GMC. I have to wonder how good a "doctor" this Helen Erwood is if she couldn't save the life of 1 tiny bird. .

She isn't a doctor of medicine, or veterinary science for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, not surprised really. I rather think it's like those people who claim to be affected by wi-fi or mobile phone signals, and then in placebo tests, when they're told that the signal's been turned on quickly develop headaches, or sweats, etc - when in fact nothing's been turned on and it's a psychological reaction. I suppose it's similar to Delusional Parasitosis, which is the condition where if someone starts talking about fleas for example, then quite often you'll feel the sensation of something crawling across your skin.

So there you go. Sustainable Shetland and the anti-windfarm NIMBY brigade are both delusional and parasitic. Thanks, science.

Ah yes, that reminds me - Burradale whacked up their latest figures, didn't they?

The Shetland Times, Friday, 8th March, 2013, P27:

"According to the owners, Shetland Aerogenerators Ltd, Burradale is the most productive windfarm in the world, producing 50.9 per cent of its maximum theoretical output. This is more than double the European industry average.

While last year's figures were somewhat down on previous years, due to a maintenance programme on the three oldest turbines turbines, and a control unit failure, the production level was still 45.7 per cent overall. ..."

If 50.9% is the best any windfarm in the world can manage, that's pretty piss poor.

Poor compared with what?
I assume that the "maximum theoretical output" for a wind firm would require the wind to blow at the optimum speed for a full year 24/7/365 and there to be no downtime. So 50% is probably rather good since the wind is not constant and the things do need maintenance.

Of course it might be better to produce a figure based on the wind profile for the site and allowing for some shutdowns and calling that figure 100%.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy