Broadband provision and service in Shetland

Njugle

I pay for my own 576kbps @ £24.99 a month, upgrading to higher? fugetaboutit!

Thats a lot JAS. I'm getting 1.1 mbps for 17.99 from wanadoo. Could get a higher speed for that price if it was available, and I think theres cheaper still out there.

Cant remember what the download allowance is, but I dont think they police it, hinted at as much when I joined up.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there any truth in the story that did the rounds when Broadband came online first, that it could only get as far as the E/W runway stoplights at Hayes, Scatness and beyond had to do without, because of the condtion of the old underground cables the Exchange at Turnie Brey didn't have the power to push it any further. Or was that another alcohol fuelled malicious rumour born in Faulty Towers or the Boating Club of a Fri/Sat night?

Not true as such. There is a bit of bother for people further along from Scatness which I believe is due to interference from the lights coupled with the sheer distance from the exchange but AFAIK that would possibly be more to do with the 15/33 lights than 09/27. I know for a fact that houses at Grutness are able to receive 512k BB as of writing.

I should also like to point out that alcohol fuelled malicious rumours can happen on any night of the week at said establishments and not just on Fridays or Saturdays.

Guest Anonymous
Tiscali 1meg with no cap.......£14.99 a month. Changed from Freeserve dial up and moved to tiscali because of the lack of a usage cap.

Tiscali here as well.

Pretty decent service although the available 'content/newsgroups' seem to be quite heavily moderated.

I should also like to point out that alcohol fuelled malicious rumours can happen on any night of the week at said establishments and not just on Fridays or Saturdays.

Don't I know it!! I have to admit I've witnessed one or two unbelievable ones in construction in those places over the years. :lol: :lol:

I suspected there was more to it than the story that did the rounds, although, knowing what BT can be like, it wouldn't have particularly surprised me if it was true as told. There's no small amount of electricty buried in the ground around there, if the cabling were on the surface instead it would resemble a plate of spaghetti in some places, so it's not entirely surprising there's a bit of interference from it.

From BT

ADSL MAX Rollout in Shetland

BT is upgrading over 5300 exchanges to ADSL MAX, offering up to 8Mb downstream and up to 800Kb upstream (premium service). These speeds are dependant on the distance from the exchange, and unless you live very close (around 1 Km) speeds of 6Mb, 4Mb or 2Mb are more likely.

The following Shetland exchanges have a tentative ADSL MAX activation date of 31/03/06. It is not expected that all will be enabled on this date:

Baltasound

Bigton

Bixter

Brae

Bressay

Cunningsburgh

Gott

Hamnavoe

Hillswick

Lerwick

Ollaberry

Reawick

Sandness

Scalloway

Skellister

Sullom Voe

Sumburgh

Symbister

Voe

Walls

Weisdale

The following exchanges will not offer MAX ADSL for the foreseeable future:

Burravoe

Fair Isle

Fetlar

Foula

Gutcher

Mid Yell

North Roe

Out Skerries

Papa Stour

Sandwick - Shetland

Uyeasound

Vidlin

West Sandwick

Should be even better in 2007 http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/pages/news%20stories/03_2006/fibre_optic_thrown_a_faroe_lifeline.htm

Thats very odd. There are exchanges on that list which use the "active" scheme, where by the max you can get at the momment is 512kps, and only on certain ISP's, yet the Sandwick exchange which has over 100 lines adsl activated wont be getting max for the foreseeable future.

You buggers. Here's me, happy wi my 2meg unlimited Bulldog connection, untill I come across this thread, I can get an 8meg connection!!!!!. Much frantic googling later and BT tells me the fastest I can get is a 2meg connection.

Now, at the expense of sounding like a computer geek, I would give my right, no.... left arm for an 8meg connection. Is there any truth behind this and if so where can I get it from.

On a similar note, did you know that one ISP is trialing a 100meg connection (only available in parts of London)