Councillors - Elections & Golden Goodbyes

Fjool

More than a third of Scotland's councillors have applied for payouts of between £10,000 and £20,000 to stand down at the May elections.

There are 10 from Shetland doing this. Out of 22 councillors this seems like a lot to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/6358807.stm

List of who is here: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2007/02/13142349/27

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that worries me (well, not much, but it sounds better to put it that way) is how are 10 people, gullible and foolish enough to step in to "dead mens shoes" to crew the sinking ship this bawnd are leaving behind them, going to be found between now and May. 8O

One thing that I can absolutely guarantee is that they will have no problem filling the places - you just watch

There is a clause that stops them standing again,

SS the reason a lot of them are there is because they were voted in with no opposition in a lot of cases. I agree however thast this time around you could put a couple of fine yowes up against them and one of the yowes would win

I for one think it is a good thing that this attempt is being made to change the profile of the people who will in future represent us, and that it included allowing most types of Counil employee to stand for election.

However, it is cerrtainly not attractive enough to encourage the young, bright, educated among our community to give up full time employment, especially anyone with a family, mortgage etc.

Therefore the danger is we get a variety of single issue nutters and various cranks putting their hats in the ring.

The scenario which I find a bit worrying is that we are going to have at least 10 new members, some of whom may have absolutely no idea of protocol, how meetings are conducted, how to find their way to the Town Hall toilets even.

Some learning curve, and it's not just the petty cash they are spending:!:

Good riddance to 'em I say , pity about paying them to go though , but then again its maybe a small price to pay considering the damage they could do if elected again. Hopefully the new blood will have some experience in the financial sector and will take the whip hand with these so called "officials" (they love being called that !!) as for too long now its been the tail wagging the dog----------and the dog didnt know why !!

Another thing why not remove this "officials" title and call them what they are CLERKS , thus removing that annoying scraping sound caused by their massive heads scraping the sides of the corridors. :lol:

The thing that worries me (well, not much, but it sounds better to put it that way) is how are 10 people, gullible and foolish enough to step in to "dead mens shoes" to crew the sinking ship this bawnd are leaving behind them, going to be found between now and May. 8O

One thing that I can absolutely guarantee is that they will have no problem filling the places - you just watch

Oh, I don't doubt it for one second. I'm just trying to remain in denial as long as possible. The thought of a fresh crop full of enthusiasm and more equally, if not worse crazy ideas, replacing those we're finally seeing the back of is too much to stomach in mid winter. :?