Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Banging on about films and concerts. The Mareel is an education centre as well, it will also open up opportunities for live links.

For the money, I see a fine example of a groups determination after YEARS of planning. Alas from the boat I see no bridge, another sound related thing.

An education centre that would be a school a place 5million would have been better spent.

thats right the same muppets that brought us mareel have spent millions on a school with nothing being built

Oh but thats right if it was at the school then every one working there would need a police records check that was the excuse made when it was brought up before, but seemingly they can work with kids at mareel without a police records check amazing that.

I see a fine example of a minority shouting loud enough till they get what they want and damn everyone else, a bit like the wind farm. :cry:

Banging on about films and concerts. The Mareel is an education centre as well, it will also open up opportunities for live links.

For the money, I see a fine example of a groups determination after YEARS of planning. Alas from the boat I see no bridge, another sound related thing.

An education centre that would be a school a place 5million would have been better spent.

thats right the same muppets that brought us mareel have spent millions on a school with nothing being built

Oh but thats right if it was at the school then every one working there would need a police records check that was the excuse made when it was brought up before, but seemingly they can work with kids at mareel without a police records check amazing that.

I see a fine example of a minority shouting loud enough till they get what they want and damn everyone else, a bit like the wind farm. :cry:

At least in the the case of the windfarm, the minority** shouting from the rooftops have not won the day, and the windfarm will be built.

** ref Shetland Times survey where a clear majority who stated their position, were in favour of the windfarm.

^ The Shetland Times did not ask everyone though, did they?

I'll continue to shout loudly from the rooftops against the windfarm; hell, given that we allegedly live in a democratic society, I don't mind if those in favour also shout from the rooftops - but are any of our voices listened to?

Stirrer - if only 30-odd percent of those asked if they would vote for or against VE said they would, that is not a clear majority. 51% would not be either. 60% would be a clear majority, but 80% would be even better.

We don't have to vote for every project that comes up, but those which change our lives, our lifestyles, and the future of our families for generations to come, should be voted on. Where is the democracy in those islands otherwise?

^ The Shetland Times did not ask everyone though, did they?

I'll continue to shout loudly from the rooftops

Not singing?

On a lighter note, you may perfect your musical skills if you were to attend the Mareel. :wink:

Now how much would your educational building cost from new, it would need to be purpose built, have all the facilities of a modern building, especially access for all. Contain all the up to date equipment, be able to make a bit of cash with public use, encourage more talent to the islands, bring new musical skills, enhance existing ones, be a focal point, be run by dedicated staff, be able to attract grants, to be on a more national if not global circuit, show and produce local skills and be yours.

And it looks like the youngsters aren't getting much encouragement with their musical skills either, now the SIC have started not filling positions for tutors (apparantly because there was no suitable candidates - yeah pull the other one). You would have thought that there would have been some sort of joined up thinking between music provision in schools in Shetland and Mareel.

I have heard your singing skills, fair play for having a go, how did you spend that tenner?

Perhaps your sax playing and singing could be greatly enhanced by lessons that may be offered there. It could help.

It will need the support of inspirational people, something Shetland has, grown at home, in abundance. Now that the money has been spent, would you not entertain being entertained there?

If the money has been spent already, and others have spent similar amounts, which would indicate that the Mareel will fulfil the funding requirements and the others have confidence in the project, would anyone want to see it fail?

Stirrer - if only 30-odd percent of those asked if they would vote for or against VE said they would, that is not a clear majority. 51% would not be either. 60% would be a clear majority, but 80% would be even better.

We don't have to vote for every project that comes up, but those which change our lives, our lifestyles, and the future of our families for generations to come, should be voted on. Where is the democracy in those islands otherwise?

We live in a democracy where we elect concillors to make the day to day decisions on our behalf. These elected representatives then sit on the Charitable Trust on our behalf, where they all studied the documents carefully and decided that their constituants were best served by them investing in Viking Energy.

The Shetland Times survey,was i recall, 36% in favour, 33% against, and 30% undecided. That means that 52.2 % of those who had an preference wanted the windfarm to proceed. That percentage would get anybody elected in any democracy.

To get 80% support, i would suggest that you would need to take part in 'elections' in places like North Korea !

I have heard your singing skills, fair play for having a go, how did you spend that tenner?

Perhaps your sax playing and singing could be greatly enhanced by lessons that may be offered there. It could help.

Err where precisely have you heard me sing? I sold the sax.