Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I think it would be the Dolby Surround Sound system that would give a great cinema experience, not the acoustics of the room. Will the main venue hall be equipped with this, as well as the cinema area? Adds a few more quid to the bill if its to be installed in both areas.

The acoustics are very important. But not necessarily the same for each type of venue.

If you were to have one room for both purposes, it would need to be acoustically designed as a cinema, ie as dead as possible. But then the greatest sounding live venues in the world are great sounding because they're not dead and add a little colour in the right places.

The PA could be designed to be dual use, but it's hardly ideal.

Its all in the business plan from the worst possible scenario (a loss) to the best possible (a profit)

I've had a quick look at the business plan and there are some (to my mind) ridiculous projections. I'll speak about just 2 of them.

1. Food and drink income, over £500k per annum. If you take a maximum operational year at 360 days that's an average of just over £1400 per day, EVERY day. There is no way enough money floating around to earn that much income. I wonder what for example the Legion's income is per annum?

2. 237 musical events per annum. Way too many. The latest show in the Garrison, Absolute Swing is on for three nights and hasn't sold out. It's done by a group who come to Shetland once a year and have built up a good fan base. Two shows normally sell out so this year the Garrison is doing 3 shows. My point is, if they can't sell out 840 tickets once a year how on earth is the new venue going to attract over 1000 customers EVERY week.

My overall point is that I think the business plan is seriously flawed and bears little relation to what's actually happening in Shetland just now. Their projected useage just doesn't add up - even with tourists.

The SIC have made a decision based on this business plan - and that's what worries me.

I'm not wholly against some kind of venue - I would like to see a lot more consultation before our money is committed.

I think a referendum is a splendid idea if only to gauge what everyone in Shetland thinks.

Been thinking about venues. I am a Wurzles fan but frankly I am too old to be going to the North Star so missed their gig here. Will anyone agree with me that co-operation between existing venues and the proposed new venue could work to generate extra income by providing a comfortable seated gig for those that want to listen and a North Star type gig for those who want to "get up and boogie" or whatever they call it now.

Incidently there was an "anti venue" petition available to sign in Don Leslies this morning.

Guest Anonymous

At the meeting last week I clearly stated to davy gardner that we had in fact lodged objections to the proposed venue. This started as long ago as 2001. I have copies of all corespondance and as yet no one has contacted me or indeed and of the local licensed trade to hear our views or concerns regarding the proposed venue. Two of the letters were sent direct to the scottish arts council who stated that copies were sent to shetland arts trust in which it clearly states that they had spoken to the project team who were to be in touch with us directly to discuss our concerns. We are still waiting!!!

We find it totally unacceptable that we have not been consulted and all our correspondance has been ignored by the local project team.

This is a fact and as I said I have copies of correspondanc to back this up.

I can assure you that I am not just defending my own business here. I really feel that due to the current economic climate that we simply cannot afford such a rolls royce model in our small community.The council is already facing the biggest financial cutbacks in living memory and we simply cannot afford to contemplate considering a venue which will only add to this already serious financial deficit that Shetland is facing.

Been thinking about venues. I am a Wurzles fan but frankly I am too old to be going to the North Star so missed their gig here. Will anyone agree with me that co-operation between existing venues and the proposed new venue could work to generate extra income by providing a comfortable seated gig for those that want to listen and a North Star type gig for those who want to "get up and boogie" or whatever they call it now.

Incidently there was an "anti venue" petition available to sign in Don Leslies this morning.

Then you don't need to build a new venue for this. Improve the seating in the Garrison so you can have your "comfortable seated gig" and still go to the North star for a dancy gig.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah madcow, why not just spend say £100,000 doing up both venues? makes sense, the north star in particular has a lot of potential. maybe GGH and co should have thought about that before tho. the place must make a good few quid on a weekend.

Guest Anonymous
At the meeting last week I clearly stated to davy gardner that we had in fact lodged objections to the proposed venue. This started as long ago as 2001. I have copies of all corespondance and as yet no one has contacted me or indeed and of the local licensed trade to hear our views or concerns regarding the proposed venue. Two of the letters were sent direct to the scottish arts council who stated that copies were sent to shetland arts trust in which it clearly states that they had spoken to the project team who were to be in touch with us directly to discuss our concerns. We are still waiting!!!

We find it totally unacceptable that we have not been consulted and all our correspondance has been ignored by the local project team.

This is a fact and as I said I have copies of correspondanc to back this up.

I can assure you that I am not just defending my own business here. I really feel that due to the current economic climate that we simply cannot afford such a rolls royce model in our small community.The council is already facing the biggest financial cutbacks in living memory and we simply cannot afford to contemplate considering a venue which will only add to this already serious financial deficit that Shetland is facing.

Me smell um ratum!

Guest Anonymous
Its all in the business plan from the worst possible scenario (a loss) to the best possible (a profit)

I've had a quick look at the business plan and there are some (to my mind) ridiculous projections. I'll speak about just 2 of them.

1. Food and drink income, over £500k per annum. If you take a maximum operational year at 360 days that's an average of just over £1400 per day, EVERY day. There is no way enough money floating around to earn that much income. I wonder what for example the Legion's income is per annum?

2. 237 musical events per annum. Way too many. The latest show in the Garrison, Absolute Swing is on for three nights and hasn't sold out. It's done by a group who come to Shetland once a year and have built up a good fan base. Two shows normally sell out so this year the Garrison is doing 3 shows. My point is, if they can't sell out 840 tickets once a year how on earth is the new venue going to attract over 1000 customers EVERY week.

My overall point is that I think the business plan is seriously flawed and bears little relation to what's actually happening in Shetland just now. Their projected useage just doesn't add up - even with tourists.

The SIC have made a decision based on this business plan - and that's what worries me.

I'm not wholly against some kind of venue - I would like to see a lot more consultation before our money is committed.

I think a referendum is a splendid idea if only to gauge what everyone in Shetland thinks.

These figures are a joke 500k for food !!. Most bars in Lerwick don't turnover 500k. The mind boggles!

Me smell um ratum!

What do you mean?.....explain yourself please...your comment could be read to mean loads of different things.

This debate is actually getting somewhere and the thread had been viewed 5000 times. One liners will put people off reading and contributing to the thread. Please consider that one liners are often very difficult to interpret and although you may have a message in your head, a bit of an explanation will make your point a lot easier to understand.

Cheers

Marvin

Guest Anonymous

Marvin, these figures really are laughable. Most bars I know of in the town don't turnover 500k. I have been talking to Morag (Ian's chippy) and she concurred that 500k couldn't be acheived by a chip shop in the middle of Lerwick. This to me is another example of "da right people no being asked"

Again my question....If these figures are acheived what will be left for the private sector ?.

Marvin, these figures really are laughable. Most bars I know of in the town don't turnover 500k. I have been talking to Morag (Ian's chippy) and she concurred that 500k couldn't be acheived by a chip shop in the middle of Lerwick. This to me is another example of "da right people no being asked"

Again my question....If these figures are acheived what will be left for the private sector ?.

Yes they are, but when I've mentioned figures from the business plan to Davie he has repeatedly said that I have been quoting an old business plan. There may be different versions on the go.

Guest Anonymous

We (JWG) submitted a business plan to the council in 1996 for the North Star. We had people like Ian Donald from Capital Theatre fame helping us with the project. We also had an independant survey done @ the same time to ensure that any kind of bias was not evident.

Both surveys came up with exactly the same figures (you can all see them if you wan't there on my dest ! Ask Alan to give them to you)

If an investor was to spend only £250 000 on the North Star (for cinema purposes) the loss was £78 000 per year. This figure included sales from the cafe etc.

Remember that this plan was submitted with the help of the Donald familly who have arguably the most experience in running cinema and small theatre in Scotland.

Guest Anonymous
Remember that this plan was submitted with the help of the Donald familly who have arguably the most experience in running cinema and small theatre in Scotland.

No that would be the Green family from Glasgow (no joke!)

Well maybe not for rural locations and small towns such as Lerwick, Banff, Buckie etc

If any of the parties concerned in this debate would like to make documents (or parts of documents) available to the public, we would be happy to host them in the "downloads" section of the Shetlink website.

You can email the documents as attachments (or links to the documents if they are already on the net) to admin@shetlink.com and we'll do the rest.