Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

To get back to nearer the core question, my experience (albeit limited) of Tesco so far is that they sell poor quality crap food at marginally nearer it's true value than previous purveyors of poor quality crap food have, and pretty much everything else at much as such to the shop along the road (and 20 miles nearer to me)

If you want a decent quality product at a cheap price, Tesco don't do it any better than my local shop. How come is this the "retail revolution" for Shetland that a few Tesco fans promised?.

Guest Anonymous

"You are an old Stick in the Mud Rasmie"....if that's construed as a threat put wheels on your rocking chair and chunter around to your local corner shop.

At last... A good bit of advice from you Salmon.

Wheelchair is cheaper, and better for the environment, than running a car to Tesco. And the shopping will be cheaper, especially after the savings from not burning fossil fuel to get there. :D

In fact, "..chunter round to your local shop.", is likely the best bit of advice anybody could get.

So thanks for that. :wink:

Guest Anonymous
To get back to nearer the core question, my experience (albeit limited) of Tesco so far is that they sell poor quality crap food at marginally nearer it's true value than previous purveyors of poor quality crap food have, and pretty much everything else at much as such to the shop along the road (and 20 miles nearer to me)

If you want a decent quality product at a cheap price, Tesco don't do it any better than my local shop. How come is this the "retail revolution" for Shetland that a few Tesco fans promised?.

Well said Ghostrider :D

All to many fans of Tesco and, dare I say, even the Co-op, forget the cost of running a gas guzzler many miles to save a few pence. And few think of the environmental impact of running said gas guzzler.

I think the fans of the "retail revolution" have gone rather quiet now. Most of them have been for some shopping to Tesco by now, so we can expect to see an "All Hail to the Co-op" thread starting soon... :wink:

face it they make there money selling crap food. but so do the rest of them. yes i like tescos but i do like the local shops to. like we have always done we shop at both supermarkets and the five local shops. if you really want quality food go organic and grow your own. remember nobody makes you shop there if you hate them so much don't go.

Salmon, Tesco are the least ethical Co in the UK, if not Europe, and this will soon become evident here in Shetland, get over it!

Still waiting to hear report of a 'ghost street' where all our local shops used to be.

Still waiting to hear that we've sent every single shop-owner into poverty by allowing Tesco.

Still waiting to hear that Lerwick has failed miserably and Tesco has engulfed us all.

Still waiting to hear of ethical abuses in Shetland's store.

"I got tired of waiting because I found out that there's only a very very fine line between biding one's time, and wasting one's time."

Anti Tesco people just bore me now.

Still waiting to hear report of a 'ghost street' where all our local shops used to be.

That happened in the late 70's when the Co-op opened their first proper supermarket and the boat went to Holmsgarth.

Aks de auld man, he'll mind, or he should. R & C's, Ironside's, Syversen's, J & I Williamson, the peerie butcher shop at the sooth end, etc.... Where are they now, where have they been since 1980?

Tesco fan speaking - sorry, but it seems necessary to constantly repost that I am still happy with the experience lest it be assumed I am now on the Tesco hater's side!

I bought a one pint carton of milk from Tesco and popped it in my fridge the Sunday before last. I was away from home on the Sunday and Monday night. When I got back home on Tuesday I opened the fridge door to find that the "sealed" container of milk now contained 1/4 pint of milk and the rest was either in the bottom of my fridge or underneath it in a puddle on the floor.

To say that I was not best pleased would be an understatement. Bloody Tescos. You would think that they would get their suppliers doing a bit more quality control wouldn't you?

Still waiting to hear that we've sent every single shop-owner into poverty by allowing Tesco.

Still waiting to hear that Lerwick has failed miserably and Tesco has engulfed us all.

Good. I'm glad to see that, for the moment, tesco are behaving like every other store that's occupied the site afore them.

Still waiting to hear of ethical abuses in Shetland's store.

Meaning what, exactly?

Anti Tesco people just bore me now.

Not enough that you don't want to read and comment on what they say :wink:

I have had some very pleasing comments from the flock of folk who have purchased the very reasonably priced wide screen, HD ready flat screen tv's at our local TESCO store for less than £350.....same deal as TESCO stores on the mainland......how do they do that?.....doh

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/7643/cards9pq.gif

I have had some very pleasing comments from the flock of folk who have purchased the very reasonably priced wide screen, HD ready flat screen tv's at our local TESCO store for less than £350.....same deal as TESCO stores on the mainland......how do they do that?.....doh

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/7643/cards9pq.gif

Was this a Technika 32" LCD? - my dad was looking at this (couldn't remember brand though) but thought about it too long and by then they'd all gone. Any idea if this'll be making a reappearance anytime soon :wink: