Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I loathe bag packers. They have no idea how to actually pack - eggs at the bottom, then grapes, then tins.......

Milk upside down, then bread, then tatties.......

Firelighters, then fish, then cake.......

No, no, no - leave me alone. I don't want to finance you at all. I will actually pay you to go away and chew gum somewhere else.

Fx

^First of all Ive only ever seen kids groups raising money bag packing and every one of them is financing mareel whether they want to or not you have the choice to say no thank you and pack your own bags, or you could say yes please and prepare your grocery for packing in the bag when you put it on the conveyer, cleaning products first and seperate, heavy stuff next, eggs bread and soft fruit last of all just common sense really. You are supposed to be an educated adult after all and if you dont have the wit to put it on the conveyor in the right order how can you expect the bairns to get it packed in the right order

If you put yourself in the position of a group trying to raise funds, then bag packing is pretty damn lucrative. They can raise a lot of money by doing it and good on them.

Personally, I don't mind having my bags packed. They do seem to be better organised recently (presumably by following supermarket guidelines) and always ask first. Some seem to have 'floating' adults making sure everything is done right. If you don't want your bags packed, just say no. They won't mind! I'm sure they get refused a few dozen times an hour given the throughput at any checkout. You can then choose whether to donate to their cause or not. Half the time i'm in a supermarket, it's to get 1 item and I tell them I don't want it packed. They simply stand back and leave you to get on.

If any supermarket mangers happen to be reading this though, Might I suggest it would be a good idea to stipulate that some checkouts be left without bag packers (but still with a collecting tin) so customers who might feel awkward saying no, could choose where to go.

• 2 weeks later...

From another forum...

"my daughter has a part time job at tesco on the till while shes at sixth form to help pay for her car and lessons etc ,

she had a letter this week to state TESCO will not be paying their staff at the end of December , her next paypacket is end nov then wont get one till end of Jan !!,but to make up will be recieving £45.00 woth of instore vouchers , she got the book today a whole load of vouchers like 20p off some batteries you could get cheaper nearly anywher else all dated and only valid for a couple of weeks ,so it seems tesco are screwing everyone who has anything to do with them , just how do they get away with it !"

Is it legal to withold someone's wages that long?

Curiosity makes me ask, what sort of "excuse" did they give for not being able to pay folk at the end of December anyway. I would suggest all those affected seriously consider going on strike as of December 1st, I suspect the possibility of a staff shortage in the seasonal rush might well lead to a changed attitude or two....

This http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/letters_11_2008/Dear%20Tesco.htm has caught my attention. If it is true and Tesco are indeed intending to limit customers to just six of any one item per visit I have every intention of attempting to make a purchase of seven cheap little items and if the checkout operator refuses to serve me I will then demand to see a manager. If the refusal continues I will then cut my clubcard into little pieces before leaving the store and heading for the Co-op.

I can understand a limit on special offers but for ordinary stock it makes no sense in their normal environment and is completely crazy in Shetland.

Is it legal to withold someone's wages that long?

Curiosity makes me ask, what sort of "excuse" did they give for not being able to pay folk at the end of December anyway. I would suggest all those affected seriously consider going on strike as of December 1st, I suspect the possibility of a staff shortage in the seasonal rush might well lead to a changed attitude or two....

If it is legal which I doubt unless provision for this is included in the contract of employment that Tesco offer then it has to be good grounds for an all out strike. Do Tesco recognise a union and even if they don't is there a union that Tesco staff can join?

This http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/letters_11_2008/Dear%20Tesco.htm has caught my attention. If it is true and Tesco are indeed intending to limit customers to just six of any one item per visit I have every intention of attempting to make a purchase of seven cheap little items and if the checkout operator refuses to serve me I will then demand to see a manager. If the refusal continues I will then cut my clubcard into little pieces before leaving the store and heading for the Co-op.

I can understand a limit on special offers but for ordinary stock it makes no sense in their normal environment and is completely crazy in Shetland.

They're shooting themselves multiple times in both feet if there's any truth in this. I have yet to raise the enthusiasm to visit said store myself, and won't be bothering if a "six per item" rule is in force. Any kind of shopping to me is a trip in to the hotter realms of hell on earth, and to be done the minimum number of times possible in this life. To that end I always buy everything unless a small amount of bread and pre-cooked meat in bulk quantities, if it doesn't have a shelf or freezer life stretching in to multiple months I don't buy it.

P.S. How can anyone organise a decent piss up if they are limited to buying six tins at a time....they'd need to spend half a day going through multiple times with six each trip to collect a decent stash. :lol:

P.S. How can anyone organise a decent piss up if they are limited to buying six tins at a time....they'd need to spend half a day going through multiple times with six each trip to collect a decent stash. :lol:

You buy six cases of course. I remember once going through the 10 items or less counter in the CO-OP with 10 cases of lager for a squad meeting. I got a few funny looks. :D