Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Ultimate Dinner Party Guestlist:

1. God

2. Allah

3. Jehovah

4. Odin

5. Finn McCool

Should be a humdinger. Bet the neighbours complain (if there are any left at the end of the evening). Now, guys, no talking about religion please ...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

which people from past and present would you invite to your ultimate dinner party? There can be a maximum of ten, from any walk of life, they can be from a local prespective or national and international.

Here are mine.

1. My paternal Grandfather, I never knew him as he died before I was born, but people I spoke to who knew him seemed to have had the benefit of his presence. I would have liked to had a while to get to know him in person.

2. Vince Lombardi, coach of the the great Green Bay packers american football team and a great coach.

3. Ferenc Puskas, the galloping major, arguably one of the best footballers of the post-war era and a man that didn't forget what the game was about, I would like to hear how he and the hungarian national team became the first team outside of the home nations to beat England at Wembley in 1953 6-3 and then repeating the feat at home 7-1.

4. J. W. Irvine, first president of the southern league football association and player with Queen of the south from virkie and local writer, I was impressed with his after dinner speech on the 50th anniversary of the southern league and think he would be a good addition to the guest list.

5. Andrew Fletcher of Saltoun, Scottish patriot, who tried to argue for a federal Union with England in the last days of the scottish parliment in 1707 instead of the encompassing one that resulted, granted a flawed character involved in many of the political hot potatoes of the time and there were many to choose from, but an enlightened individual and ahead of his time on many political issues, he would provide a political edge to the gathering.

6. Jock Wilson, from Cunningsburgh, whilst involved with the Cunningsburgh football team I was impressed with his dedication to supporting the team through all the poor games and results as long as his health held out he came to the games to watch, even when it would have been easier to stay at home for him. One bit of advice he gave me still sticks in my mind "dont give up Big yin, if you give up now you'll give up for the rest of your life" sound bit of advice and one I try to stick too.

7. James Keir Hardie, a scots born politician who rose to the top of the Labour party, though I don't agree entirely with his politics I have to admire how he rose from a uneducated miner to lead the the labour party it would be interesting to hear him and Fletcher debate the current political malaise.

8. Bill Shankly, one of the greatest managers in british post-war football, he would be a good guest to have able to give an insight on the golden era of Liverpool football club and the personalities of the time.

9. Sir Matt Busby, another great of British football, I would be interested to hear first hand how he handled the likes of Denis Law, and Best, and how he came back from the Munich disaster and the loss of the back bone of his team.

10. Julie Fleeting, the only woman to make the list but her achievments in Ladies football and her experiences would be of interest to the gathering I feel.

(***Mod Edit - Merged with existing Dinner Party thread and title updated***)

1. William Shakespeare- Greatest play-write ever

2. Kevin Keegan- For the wonderfully terrible quotes he can come out with

3. Robert De Niro- One of the greatest actors of all time

4. Sir Stanley Matthews- possibly the best british footballer ever

5. Billy Connelly

6. Dara O'Briain

7. Frankie Boyle- These three for hilarious banter

8. Freddie Mercury- greatest singer/ performer of all time, imo.

9. Mel Blanc- for all the looney tunes voices

10. Anna Hepburn- Ace bar-maid