New Museum & Archives

RickB

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was walking the dog down around the museum this morning, and i noticed one of the glass panels up at the balcony at teh cafeteria had been broken. reported it to police and have to go up after work and give a statement. didnt take the vandals long did it

Anyone tried the new museum restaurant? Pretty disappointing if you go there at lunchtime: the only thing on the menu is soup and sannies. As if there weren't enough food emporiums in Lerwick all producing soup and sannies. The difference at the new musuem is that the sannies costs a fiver and are made by real chefs- who can't be bothered to do some really imaginative cooking in return for their wages.

If you go to the Weisdale Mill cafe, on the other hand, there's a really good selection of warm dishes on offer every lunchtime. They seem to make more effort out there - and they've only got a tiny kitchen to make it in.

Guest Anonymous

I'm rather disappointed that soup and sarnies is the best on offer there. I was hoping to spend a day in the museum later in the year, which would involve lunch.

Maybe just have to go to the Skipidock instead. :(

However, it may not be the blame of the chefs. They may well be told by higher powers what to prepare, and if so, most likely due to budget constraints.

I know someone who works in the cafe, so I'll see if I can dig up some inside info.. :wink:

Da Auld Een

Guest Anonymous

My informant in the cafe tells me that the menu is just limited at the moment, until the main, after opening, rush is over. Then there will be a wider menu available.

So here's hoping. :wink:

I thought I would pop in for lunch, took one look at the pathetic menu and swiftly turned around and left the building. Oddly enough I wasn't surprised…seem to be used to expecting not a lot of Lerwick eateries.

Although the place did look too busy to accommodate me anyhow. However if the previous post about the menu changing after the rush is correct, surely that’s counter productive - folk will visit the cafe now as its just opened, be quite unimpressed and never go back...

^^

Totally agree with you there. Your reputation is earned in the early days and if you dont get it right then, you'll never get your reputation back in some folks eyes.

It would have made more sense to have taken on extra short term staff and pull all the stops out for the opening, lets face it, theres never in the history of civilisation been a venue with so much time to prepare for a 'grand' opening! If they're not going to get it right then, will they ever?

To stick up for the museum a bit here, I'm sure all the pulling-out-of-stops and last-minute hard work would have been concentrated on the actual museum and its displays, as opposed to the restaurant. That is its main function after all, not just as another place to eat.

If a jobs worth doing its worth doing right...as they say

I think you will find that the cafe/restaurant is a significant part of the museum, as the restaurant is open well into the evening when the museum is closed as far as I can tell from the opening times.

Plus once the thrill of the new establishment has died down I don't expect that its going to be a busy museum, so perhaps will rely on the cafe/restaurant for extra income

I think you will find that the cafe/restaurant is a significant part of the museum, as the restaurant is open well into the evening when the museum is closed as far as I can tell from the opening times.

I'm well aware that it's a significant part, but my point was that it is not the main function. The building is called the Shetland Museum and Archives.

Plus once the thrill of the new establishment has died down I don't expect that its going to be a busy museum

I disagree - The old museum was getting 30,000 visitors a year, and I'm sure the new building will better that figure considerably.

The food and service in the new cafe is pathetic. Limited choice, expensive and a lot of what's on offer is exactly the same as can be seen in one of the Freezer Foods' brochures.

I won't be back and I won't be recommending it to anyone.

I feel sorry for any unsuspecting tourist who goes there thinking they might get a reasonable feed at a reasonable price.

I suppose the location is ok if industrial seascapes float your boat (sorry..!!)