2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

You must realise that the SFA has very little interest in football outside the center belt. It's only realitivly recently that attitudes have changed and highland league teams have been allowed into the league structures.

The Rugby club have been fully accepted into Scottish Rugby but it is unrealistic to expect the football team to get the same welcome, Rugby in comparison is a much less popular sport. Shetland is competeing against lots of other good sides to enter highland leagues and scottish cups and these teams do not throw up the same logistical headaches.

In terms of fundraising many people do not realise how much the Shetland players pay to represent their county. Inter islands games can be almost £500 pounds, then there are away countys before you include the additional trips to try and show people there is football up here. There is a limit to how much they can be expected to pay. These players will also be giving up considerable time to train with Shetland and their club sides so it's unfair to compare their level of commitment to a "hobby". People forget that the County players are often the ones who keep their club teams going. Anyone involved in a team will know how much fundraising this involves. There is a limit to how many times you can keep asking the same people to give money.

Personally I think the Shetland Manager is correct to ask for help from the business community. The question now is whether the Shetland community has the ambition to take football to another level or ar we happy to play Orkney once a year. Just have a look at our Faroese neighbours and you will see that a bit of ambition can go a long way.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rugby club have been fully accepted into Scottish Rugby but it is unrealistic to expect the football team to get the same welcome, Rugby in comparison is a much less popular sport. Shetland is competeing against lots of other good sides to enter highland leagues and scottish cups and these teams do not throw up the same logistical headaches.

Totally disagree. The logistics of getting a squad of players from here to mainland Scotland is the same for all.

In terms of fundraising many people do not realise how much the Shetland players pay to represent their county. Inter islands games can be almost £500 pounds, then there are away countys before you include the additional trips to try and show people there is football up here. There is a limit to how much they can be expected to pay. These players will also be giving up considerable time to train with Shetland and their club sides so it's unfair to compare their level of commitment to a "hobby".

You can apply the same claims to Rugby, Darts, Pool (a fine example of committed fundraisers if one was needed), Baton Twirling and just about any other organisation that claims to "represent" Shetland.

Anyone involved in a team will know how much fundraising this involves. There is a limit to how many times you can keep asking the same people to give money.

Exactly.. Which is why I suggested that fundraising should involve a little more effort than sitting down writing letters.

Personally I think the Shetland Manager is correct to ask for help from the business community. The question now is whether the Shetland community has the ambition to take football to another level or ar we happy to play Orkney once a year.

Nothing wrong with asking for help but, as I suggested in an earlier post, if the SFA had a higher fundraising profile and could offer something in return then, they might get a little more support.

Just have a look at our Faroese neighbours and you will see that a bit of ambition can go a long way.

You want International status for Shetland? :twisted:

To Colin and Ladyfootballer - Do you not read the Shetland Times before producing such drivel? It states quite clearly that a meeting is called for 6:30 p.m. tonight to discuss fund raising. Also the Association has been fund raising in various events for years. How do you think they got the money to go on tour last year and attend Island games.

Also if you were to read the Times you would have read that Shetland did not go to the last games as the Scottish Football association warned of the dangers to players health playing 5 games in 6 days in 35+ degree heat.

John wrote quite provacatively in a public forum targeting the local business community. Consequently those in the business community have every right to respond on public forums as well.

As the SFA coach this must have been done with approval of the committee. It would be a strange set up if it wasn't. I can't think the SFA is going to let the tail wag the dog.

I don't look for details of private clubs meetings in the paper, I do read readers views though. I think that would be the same for most. If somehow we are supposed to take the two together perhaps John could have referenced the meeting in his letter ! And if the meeting is all part of this why didn't the SFA wait until after it had been held before making this plea anyway?

It's strange you want to call comments on the subject drivel. We can only see things as they are presented. It's our perception based on how the SFA publicity, or lack of it, reaches us.

The rugby club has been very active in approaching business in a professional way - meetings/marketing plans etc, etc. I don't know if there still much funding available to get from that community now and as a member of it I have every right to state that view. I haven't honestly heard a great deal about SFA fundraising compared to other local sports but then maybe I'm just stupid, ignorant or deaf.

Finally, for me anyway, the business community are seen to have money - the SFA want some. I think there is only one style of negotiation that can be effective here - engagement and not confrontation.

From what I read John quoted Sir David Murray who was very critical of the buisiness community for neglecting sport. Why don't you write to him at c/o Glasgow Rangers F.C., Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow and inform him about his ignorance of the buisiness community.

Also the Association has been fund raising in various events for years. How do you think they got the money to go on tour last year and attend Island games.

SFA Chairman Magnie Flaws on radio shetland tonight in reply to question "how much fund raising did you do last year?" - Nothing!

Looks like the drivel doesn't come from us after all.

Magnie spoke very sensibly though and if this is footballers approach now then good luck to them and hope they manage to raise the funds to help them. Just hope they don't appoint Kirsty as pr officer.

Could it be the simple case that the businesses only see a projected loss by donating money?

I really wish that they would, but this is capitalism where money=everything.

Sad but true.

Trouble is that if you run a business of any kind, then there are a lot of people that want a piece of your butt.

Unless you're running a multi million pound empire, what's left after HMRC, SIC, Banks and others have finished with you doesn't amount to much and, given that it has to be earned by someone, why should any residue be given away to people who do not appear to be putting in a little effort for themselves?

Local businesses DO help where they can but, there's a limit to how much they can offer.

I am aware of a few local businesses that, because they appear(?) to be wealthy, receive several requests for help each month. Some they support, some they don't. It doesn't just depend on presentation and whether or not the cause is considered worthy. It's down to (amongst other things) available funds and what's in it for them.

Even minor requests as in "something for our raffle" have to be paid for.

So the football boys did no fundaising last year.

Were they ever asked to?

As far as I can see it's not the football boys that are complaining they have all ways paid there own way and if that was such a big problem to them I'm sure they would do something about it.

Was it not the SFA decision to pay for last years trip?

Did the players pay anything?

I don't think we can have a go at the footballers when it's not them that is complaining. But yes I think they should be doing some fundraising but so should the SFA.

Oraganising one prize giving doo where the clubs are forced into selling tickets to the players is hardly alot of work.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway - back to club fitba!!

Any good transfer news (fact or fiction) doing the rounds just now?

Is there any hope of someone halting Deltings seemingly inevitable charge to their 7th straight title?

What about the Highland Amateur Cup - any clubs thought about entering this year?

Any good pre-season trips planned by anyone?

etc etc!!

Is there any hope of someone halting Deltings seemingly inevitable charge to their 7th straight title?

What about the Highland Amateur Cup - any clubs thought about entering this year?

Any good pre-season trips planned by anyone?

etc etc!!

Tells wis da goss in da isle and dan we'll tell d wirs

:wink: