Call To Deport Yobs To Shetland

wally jumblat

I reckon they should send them to Foula, and send in a camera crew to record their progress. I would be funnier than castaway, more entertaining than Big Brother and waiting for them to either thrive, or disintegrate into whimpering kids would be the prime TV spectacle of the year.

Afterthought: you could send them into Papa Stour and call the show "Bog Brother" :)

The thing is even though you said it jokingly I could quite envisage it being a bit hit.

It was a throw away remark but being in the position he is, he should be far more careful about what and how he says things.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A throw away remark it may be, but he did specifically say the 'Shetlands'. I am sure that if I was commenting on such a thing at a Council meeting which the Guardian later reported on, then he wouldn't be delighted at me saying, "If it was possible I would take all the yobs and send them to Redbridge."

I was just going to say, There's a coincidence - we've been planning to send all ours down to him.

Not to mention that a policeman shouldn't be using a grammatically incorrect term such as 'the Shetlands'. Typical sooth person. :lol:

I did e-mail inspector grant and got this reply

Dear Mr sheepshagger (inserted this me-sel)

I have just had sight of your comments and I would totally agree with them if that was the full story of what I had said. Unfortunately the paper has chosen to paraphrase my comments and in my mind has presented a misleading picture of what I was saying and why.

There was considerably more and my comments relate to a previous press report. I was re-telling a public meeting about comments I had made a year ago and how the press had used them. I did say that if people want to indulge in a life of anti-social behaviour, I would do everything in my power to legally redress what they had done and conform to what our communities want and expect in terms of behaviour and living together. As far as I am concerned when people want to live outside the rules and make life a misery for everyone else, then they should be excluded from society. I had previously said that for all I care they can go and live on an uninhabited island in the Shetland Isles where they could harm no one. A local paper rang one of the Isles and spoke to a mayor, seeking comment. The comment from the mayor was that anyone would be welcome in the Isles provided they behaved (and quite right too). He also commented that if they did not want to behave, had we thought about sending them to Birmingham.

As I say I re-told that story to emphasis the fact that I and my officers are continuing our efforts to tackle anti-social behaviour and I stand by my assertion that those who do not conform should be excluded from our communities until they do. I would much prefer that all the steps we take to address such behaviour was successful, with such things as parenting orders, youth diversion, mentoring schemes and Anti-social Behaviour Orders, but when that fails, we will then consider using our powers to put people in prison.

As my family come from Dingwall, the last thing I would wish to do is cause one of the most beautiful places on earth to be ruined by those that just do not care.

I trust you will see that my comments were not meant in any way to denigrate anyone from the Isles, but were used to express my abhorrence of anti-social behaviour and how it so adversely affects the lives of so many innocent and good people. This last thing I want to do is inflict that type of behaviour on anyone else.

I also hope you will note the reporter inaccurately reported my rank and role - but then again I have found too often that such inaccuracies are common place! If you wish I am more than happy to ring you to discuss in full detail what happened and why.

Yours sincerely

Dave Grant

But Dingwall isn't in Shetland...:?

Yeah but its "North of the Watford Gap"... so it's all the same place :roll:

I wonder if the "Mayor" he refers to was our own chief executive ??

That would have been an interesting conversation..

"How would you feel about a bunch of liars, cheats and people who don't know right from wrong, being shipped to your island?"

"No Comment !!!!!!!!!!!!"

for all I care they can go and live on an uninhabited island in the Shetland Isles where they could harm no one. A local paper rang one of the Isles and spoke to a mayor

I wonder who is said mayor of uninhabited island? :lol:

I know this one! I know this one!

Me, me, me, sir, me, me!

It is the Goodlads isn't it with Hildasay!

Fx

• 4 weeks later...

Kinda crossthreading here, ie i could answer this question in your other thread, English, but no matter;

We have a dirty great Oil Terminal up here, the largest in Europe and, unsurprisingly it is not entirely staffed by 'locals', nor has it been since the mid seventies when it was built. Shetland is also a 'centre' for fishing fleets of various nations and carries several other mantles too, giving it a profile that, indeed, includes yobs, neds chavs, in fairly small quantities, along with the kind of country folk and communtiy you're probably thinking of.