Annoying but trivial things - Room 101 stuff

Folk who try to talk to you on MSN when your status is set to Away or Busy. I can't / don't want to talk right now, is that so bad?! I have at least five friends on my list who do this to me on a regular basis, and I just want to scream 'Naff off and leave me be!'

Chewing gum. Despicable stuff. Especially when you see the white blotches smeared all over the roads and pavements. Or even worse, in carpets, furniture, clothes or hair. Gyadge! :x

Sorry Lithuania, but your pop music's just gotta go into room 101 as well!

You've just reminded me!

Last August my cousin and I went to see the Chilis at Hampden Park in Glasgow. Upon returning home, I discovered to my horror that some disgusting person had gobbed chewing gum and it had stuck to the strap of my handbag! :x It took me ages to scrape it off and there is still residue stuck in the fibres nine months later.

Additionally, I told my cousin about this incident and she said the same squeeky clean poop tube had gobbed chewing gum on the back of the Chilis t-shirt she'd just bought at the shop outside - which she only discovered when she went to wear it two days later :cry:

Why can't folk just dispose of chewing gum in bins?!

Folk who try to talk to you on MSN when your status is set to Away or Busy. I can't / don't want to talk right now, is that so bad?! I have at least five friends on my list who do this to me on a regular basis, and I just want to scream 'Naff off and leave me be!'

:D Thats pretty much the exact opposite of something i've been tempted to write : People who leave themselves signed in to Messenger programs but set them to "busy" or "away". If you're busy, or away, or dont want to talk, log off!

Card electric meters. I went out this morning and bought electric and duly fed the tokens into my meter. Tonight I was busily typing a very long (for me) reply to Billy Foxes "Sounding Off" in the ST last week when "Bang", the power switched off. I lost the lot. AAARRRGH!!!.

Serves me right for running on emergency, and forgetting to save regularly :oops:

I really, really can't face re-typing it.

People who leave themselves signed in to Messenger programs but set them to "busy" or "away". If you're busy, or away, or dont want to talk, log off!

I don't use it that much so could well be wrong, but if someone has it set to busy, could it not be that they're active > talking to someone but don't want to be distracted by the constant pinging and flashing of others contacting them..?

Card electric meters. I went out this morning and bought electric and duly fed the tokens into my meter.

I'd imagine it's not just the inconvenience of a card meter that pisses you off but the cost. Isn't it a higher rate than normal electricity?

Tonight I was busily typing a very long (for me) reply to Billy Foxes "Sounding Off" in the ST last week when "Bang", the power switched off. I lost the lot. AAARRRGH!!!.

Serves me right for running on emergency, and forgetting to save regularly :oops:

I really, really can't face re-typing it.

Must be meant. ;) Yesterday I was typing stuff when the cat jumped up, walked over the keyboard and managed to put the computer onto standby. God knows how he did it - must be a button on the keyboard.. Thought I'd lost stuff at first > as I don't use standby and am not familiar with it, but when I hit the power button, everything came back, just as I'd been working on it. Phew.

I used to get so pissed off when the Harry Potter books came out as I'd know folk who read them in three hours and then told you the ending. I'm sorry, but that really annoyed me! Why can't folk just read a book slowly and take it in as they do so?! :x I was always someone who liked to read them over a certain period of time rather than in one go, and everyone else basically speed-reading it and spoiling the plot for me got me going no end.

Besides, as good as the Harry Potter books are, I've read better! :evil:

sassermaet Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to get so pissed off when the Harry Potter books came out as I'd know folk who read them in three hours and then told you the ending. I'm sorry, but that really annoyed me! Why can't folk just read a book slowly and take it in as they do so?! I was always someone who liked to read them over a certain period of time rather than in one go, and everyone else basically speed-reading it and spoiling the plot for me got me going no end.

I can't mind where I saw it now but there was a story in some paper about a lady speed reading champion who read the last Harry Potter book in just over 47 minutes. Not a friend of yours, sassermaet?

The thing that stumped me though was how do you become a speed reading champion? Do they test you on the book's content or something once you've claimed you've finished?

^^^ :lol: Fair gallus.

Okay, I guess that was a little harsh. If folk want to read it in however many hours then that's okay, just let me read it at my speed and don't tell me the bloody ending.

Personally, I would've thought speed reading would just involve flicking through the book...

• 4 weeks later...