Local Food Reviews - Dining Out & Take Aways

Njugle

'The Street' is only going to get worse, certainly in the near future which is an absolute shame.

What puts me off the street is parking - pay on the pier, hillhead then negotiate lanes, or circle trying to get a free space. Just easier nipping into bolts or tesco...

Agreed, another failing IMO but what can be done. Have the retailers not tried to lobby the LPA to either wave that cost or reduce. Again its not a problem for me I have 2 legs and I'm fit so walking a reatively short distance is no problem, Christ knows why they don't just open up the Fort its not like its bloody used often.

Off topic again so I'll just add that The Peerie Shops soup IMO is best in town! :wink:

There was this one time i parked at the disabled spot outside the royal bank of scotland at 11.30ish at night to get some cash out and was told to move by the police? I get your not supposed to use the disabled spot but come on.

Apart from that i think the soup at the GBH servery is very good :)

Anyone here with any comments on the Hungarian takeaway in the street?

Its a shame to see another takeaway close,allegedlly the owner would not upgrade vent system and they were refused a late licence due to Saddo;s objecting.

Just to confirm it wasn't Tatties and Point that objected

You cannot develop a menu unless you get support

It needed a commercial ventilation system put in place to meet todays standards, which in all fairness to the owner would cost a few thousand pound. As you say these takeaways never seem to last long so why would he take the chance in flinging a few thousand pound out of his pocket to do that.

This is the same as I'd previously explained, premises bought and paid for long ago so no pressing need to rent out. The owner can quietly sit in his house and wait for the next 'would-be' retailer to come along.

Sorry off topic again.

Bacon roll from Harbour Cafe was ace!

Talking of use it or lose it, I've often wondered why Flames is unusually empty most of the time? As far as I can see they've done everything right and the food/menu is good. A location thing?

To me its the same problems they have always had. The food all arrives at different times. Varying degrees of interest or attitude from the staff. The Pizza buffet that never has any pizzas.

Also I can't understand why they can't just take your order at the table or at least have a sign saying that it is counter service.

Saying that I went a couple of weeks ago and the lamb kebab was beautiful but yet again my sons Pizza arrived 20 minutes later.

Yup, next to Rod and Line that was. Can't remember their name. I have had a few dodgy ones in past years, but now theyve got their lamb-supply sorted and the last few have been truly wonderful.

I highly recomend eating a kebab watching the terns on the pier.