Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

I agree with the sentiment, but for the reasons I posted previously regarding the way the decision making process has "evolved" here over the past 10-20 years, I think it is essential for the good of the council going forward for someone with some weight behind them and experience on how local government *should* be run, to take the helm for as long as is necessary.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There needs to be a competent and able chief in charge of the hired help, and a competent and able chief in charge of the elected crowd, wherever they come from. We've had neither in quite a long time, and its showing.

Its testament to the competence and integrity of those in "lesser" posts that normal council services have continued, and are continuing unaffected while all those above them are merrily pulling the chain on themselves. That can only last a finite length of time though, leaderless and directionless cracks will start to appear eventually. It can't happen quick enough getting the current chaos swept out the door, and competent people put in their place to pick up things and keep them going while they're still whole.

I agree with the sentiment, but for the reasons I posted previously regarding the way the decision making process has "evolved" here over the past 10-20 years, I think it is essential for the good of the council going forward for someone with some weight behind them and experience on how local government *should* be run, to take the helm for as long as is necessary.

Fabio Capello perhaps. A 12 minute decision!

Its testament to the competence and integrity of those in "lesser" posts that normal council services have continued, and are continuing unaffected while all those above them are merrily pulling the chain on themselves.

Good point. It kind of emphasises the importance (or not) of having a figurehead.

It also reiterates my point, with no offence intended, using the formal meaning of the word, ignorant.

I've randomly, in passing, spoken to councillors and council employees but I would still generally accept my ignorance on the whole situation. Yes, I have heard a lot of stuff, but I don't know it all, far from it. :wink:

Similarly, the council services have not fallen apart, but there are many administrative, procedural and strategic things going on in Shetland right now - many of which may have benefited from the support of a visionary figurehead during these 'interesting' times. I haven't polled the department heads to find out whether they feel their governance has been affected, so I wouldn't claim to know it was 'business as usual' either. I'm ignorant once again. :P

Yeah, okay, I'm flogging the point - , there now, I've dropped it. :wink:

Fabio Capello perhaps. A 12 minute decision!

Similarly, the council services have not fallen apart, but there are many administrative, procedural and strategic things going on in Shetland right now - many of which may have benefited from the support of a visionary figurehead during these 'interesting' times.

They may indeed. But the salient point is that these "interesting times" might let us realize that "things" can be done much more cost effectively by people who are already doing "stuff" without direction from above and who know how to continue doing what is best from both a service provision and cost effective point-of-view. My sister works for the SIC and she is very "matter of fact" about the whole "council office" culture. There is a huge dichotomy between the benefits to the community of reduced taxes versus increased services but it is possible (so long as senior management positions remain vacant?!)

They may indeed. But the salient point is that these "interesting times" might let us realize that "things" can be done much more cost effectively by people who are already doing "stuff" without direction from above and who know how to continue doing what is best from both a service provision and cost effective point-of-view.

True up to a point but there will always be the problem of what kind of 'stuff' the SIC should be and can afford to be doing.

For example. would the people in charge of providing the Education 'stuff' ever agree that they no longer need to provide so much or agree that they should charge for nice but non-essential 'stuff' so that money could be released to provide more Social Care 'stuff'?

It's to resolve this kind of issue that senior management and Councillors are crucial. The Council has an entire cornucopia of Corporate and stratgeic plans that if properly thought through and implemented (including the financial strategies) would provide real direction for SIC services in terms of providing what is needed, at what quality and at an affordable costs. You need senior management to drive this but ultimately you need Councillors to buy into it.

And that requires making and sticking to hard decisions.....

^^

Excellent post that captures the fundamental relationship that should exist between senior management and the elected representatives.

By the way, there are some very good senior management people within SIC - in case we have all forgotten recently. Unfortunately, we have a spineless, meek, docile and leaderless elected body who have failed to gel in any way since the last election. THe worst bit is it looks like we have them for 5 years rather than 4, so as to seperate the Council cycle from the Scottish Parliament elecetions. The one or two good councillors are swamped in a sea of utter mediocrity beyond the point of embarassment.

By the way, there are some very good senior management people within SIC - in case we have all forgotten recently. Unfortunately, we have a spineless, meek, docile and leaderless elected body who have failed to gel in any way since the last election. THe worst bit is it looks like we have them for 5 years rather than 4, so as to seperate the Council cycle from the Scottish Parliament elecetions. The one or two good councillors are swamped in a sea of utter mediocrity beyond the point of embarassment.
Exactly the way it is Shoogler and so an excellent post.

-------------------------

Now!

We are indeed World News, as the first overseas CV has been received in anticipation and comes from a gentleman with over 30 years Local Government experience.

He is currently residing in Harare and is called Mr. Robert Mugabe. :mrgreen:

^^ How about "Ex-Chief Executive"!?!

I think by the time this lad we have in finally gone, this thread needs to sink as fast as it possibly can.

The next "New Chief Executive" needs a whole brand new thread, which with any luck will never extend further than announcing who (s)he is, and never having the need for anything worse posted than an occasional, "Dir laekly doin ower weel".

^^ I was just about to say the very same thing! :wink:

Tried hunting for a thread where you might have mentioned you were heading away .. but haven't searched that far and ... well .... welcome back :P Trust your bumbling was fruitful? :D

Cheers Para handy and trout - aye, I was away for 3 years, just got back at Christmas - my finances (or lack there of) have dictated that I need to stay hame for a while, pack in this travelling malarkey and maybe get a proper job... I note there's an opening for a new chief exec that might be worth a look... ;)

I note there's an opening for a new chief exec that might be worth a look... ;)

No dice I've got dibs on that one and I even have a cunning plan.

1. Take the job

2. Threaten local councillor and establish my low level of diplomacy

3. Get pished with old friend in my office and get councillor from point 2 to complain.

4. Get a bunch of councillors to question my suitability after points 2 & 3

5. Get myself in the gutter press for shacking up with some strumpet that creates a conflict of interest on something I should be involved in.

6. Get dragged in to the council chambers and before they get a chance to give me the Spanish archer demand a payout for bullying in the workplace.

It was a cunning plan then by sheer chance all those things happened to someone else.

Curses foiled again.