Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see. Thanks for the info. 'Tis a bit of a pickle he's gotten himself into, no? :?

However, I don't see how he can't be disciplined over these incidents (which really aren't that serious in the grand scale of things, I mean, he's hardly advocating ethnic cleansing of the isles). I do think the public's reaction has been a bit OTT. Is it not more due to embarassment felt because of the Sun's 'publicity'? It has the feel of a witch-hunt to it. People make mistakes, that's what makes them people. Do any of these events actually make him not suitable for the job for which he was appointed?

(I'm not defending him, I'm just asking impartial questions)

People make mistakes, that's what makes them people. Do any of these events actually make him not suitable for the job for which he was appointed?

Possibly yes they do. DC may (or may not) be a very nice person outside his working life but mistakes with regard to his trying to get rid of a senior member of staff and the way he handled the Laidler/AHS issue are not the sort of mistakes that someone employed as a Chief Executive really ought to make.

Shetland is losing its wits over this affair....

When needs must. So called "sane" actions aren't always the most productive.

There's been little sign of wit from the leadership between the end of August at the very latest, and UHA day, desperate folk who feel they've been ignored too long will go to just about any length sometimes to have their message heard, acknowledged, and understood. When all conventional, responsible, "adult" methods appear to have gone right over the heads of those who matter. Such is democracy and so called "free speech".

This ludicrous petition reminds me of documents in the 'fama clamosa' against the Rev. Maclaurin in Sandsting in 1862. Shetland is losing its wits over this affair, as the hundreds of illiterate contributions above show.

Shetland has not suddenly lost its wits - this affair has merely galvanized the people who always grumble (about everything - not just the SIC). It is unfair to describe most of the participants in this thread as "illiterate" - perhaps if they were to agree with Brian they would instantly become intelligent?

I'll not be signing the petition.

David Clark did not have direct experience of local government before he was appointed, and many I'm sure would argue, has made a number of mistakes.

The significant problems of this council are the result of the deplorable leadership of the convener. Sandy Cluness should apologise and let someone else take over.

Whilst not blameless, Mr Clark does not deserve the opprobrium that people want to throw at him.

People make mistakes, that's what makes them people. Do any of these events actually make him not suitable for the job for which he was appointed?

Maybe not any one event, but when you consider all of the events, and the relatively short time they have occured in, it raises serious doubts of his suitability for the job.

Remember, the holder of the CE position automatically become the Chief of Civil Defence in times of emergency, if right now there was another Braer type wreck, of a repeat of the snow of '95, or some similar incident, Clark would be Chief absolute. He'd be making the decisions, giving the orders, etc.

That requires someone who is unflappable, and capable of making the most appropriate decisions when required to do so. Given his track record so far I think I would prefer that in such a situation there was no-one in charge, rather than Clark in charge.

This ludicrous petition reminds me of documents in the 'fama clamosa' against the Rev. Maclaurin in Sandsting in 1862. Shetland is losing its wits over this affair, as the hundreds of illiterate contributions above show.

Why don't you take your 'fama clamosa' and sit on it for a while?

Take yourself off to Famagusta for a peerie break mmm? :mrgreen:

Having only come back to Shetland this year, I can't claim to be that well informed regarding this guys antics, but the general feel I'm getting from folk is that he shouldn't get a penny.

Fair enough, emotions clearly run high when it comes to this issue, but I was surprised by the tone of the front page article in this weeks Shetland Times:

"During the guizers' procession that evening Mr Clark watched from outside Ms Miller's house in St Olaf St brandishing a glass of red wine and a cigar..."

Hardly relevant information, and it does rather paint him as some sort of malevolent emperor figure, lauding it over the peasants from the comfort of his mistresses property.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good article and I've always secretly hoped that the Times would inject a bit of spice into some of their stories - it makes a change from the old 'A MAN was arrested for an assault in Lerwick. A report is to be sent to the Procurate Fiscal" ;)

Why don't you take your 'fama clamosa' and sit on it for a while?

Take yourself off to Famagusta for a peerie break mmm? :mrgreen:

Why?

In terms of signal-to-noise ratio I find Brian's posts to be extremely high. I just wish he would post more often.

In terms of signal-to-noise ratio I find Brian's posts to be extremely high. I just wish he would post more often.

Me too. I disagree with his last post, but Brian is very astute. (although sometimes a bit frugal with his words!) As an aside, my grandfather was illiterate, but one of the wisest men I ever knew.

Me too. I disagree with his last post, but Brian is very astute. (although sometimes a bit frugal with his words!) As an aside, my grandfather was illiterate, but one of the wisest men I ever knew.

I also disagree with the petition and I posted my objection to it when it first became public knowledge.

I think an apology for writing 'as the hundreds of illiterate contributions above show' would be welcome. :mrgreen: